Please sign in to post.

I just got Skype, and I am trying to educate myself on this process. I am taking my netbook to Italy, and I want to be able to Skype family in the US, including my parents who do not have a computer. Is that easy to do? I will be in Italy for 4 weeks. Is it best to purchase "pay as you go" minutes or a monthly rate? They listed a monthly rate for unlimited calls to the US for $2.99, but it doesn't specify where the calls originate. When I call the US from Italy, do I have to use the country code, or just the area code and number? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Posted by
9100 posts

Skype is very easy to use. You don't need to know anything about country codes, just tell Skype which country you are calling and it will add the appropriate code. Pay as you go will be your best option, I believe there is a $10 minimum, rates are around .02 cents a minute so that should be more than enough to last your entire trip.
The unlimited plan is $13.99 a month.

Posted by
1152 posts

You say you are taking your netbook. I assume this means you'll be calling over wifi. I think that Skype will not care where you are if you are using your computer to originate the call and are doing so by wifi. Consequently, the $2.99 unlimited call plan works for calls to the U.S. under those circumstances from anywhere in the world. This, at least, is my understanding of how Skype works. I have used it overseas, but through my phone by calling a local number first or by forwarding my Skype number in the U.S. (which you have to sign up for and pay extra) to a foreign telephone number where I was. I paid for the cost of forwarding a call through credit on my Skype account.

Posted by
32772 posts

Cindy I have Skype on my Netbook. Just installed it on this replacement one but have traveled all over Europe with either a laptop or netbook and Skype for many years. Every year the software gets easier to use. Just to say that if it is computer to computer it is free, even video calls. The software doesn't care where you are, when you use the Skypeout service. I use it occasionally and have never found it worthwhile having a plan. I just throw 10 Euros at it every once in a while and pay the per call price. Its still way cheap. You are 8 hours behind me but if you would like to PM me with your Skype name and we can agree on a time, I'm more than happy to do a voice or video call so you can practice, computer to computer.

Posted by
1021 posts

When you sign onto Skype, the menu on the left has your Skype contacts for computer to computer, and also has a "Call Phones" bar. Click that to get a keypad which has a bar at the top to choose the country you'll be calling. Choose the country, then enter the telephone number (10 digits for US) and click "Call." From then on it's like a regular telephone call. Your Skype Credit will be charged the cost of the call if you've set that up and don't have a calling plan. Unless you'll be doing a lot of calling, Skype credit is the way to go. The balance doesn't expire.

Posted by
32772 posts

Are you sure, Tex? I have to use mine every 6 months or they eat it. I have the t-shirt.

Posted by
188 posts

Nigel, I think Tex is correct (mostly!). We got a notice that our Skype minutes were expiring UNLESS we made just one call even if only for a second or two. We made a call to our home phone and hung up the instant it rang. Bingo...the remaining minutes and seconds were restored. We only used 23 seconds, so I really count the minutes as pretty much not used.

Posted by
71 posts

Thank you everyone for your assistance. I am learning so much from all of you. I am now trying to get skype on my desktop computer, but I am having trouble. Can I use the same info (i.e., email address, skype name) to get Free Skype on my desktop, or do I need a different screen name and email address?

Posted by
2622 posts

I've researched this issue and gotten overwhelmed so many times that I've given up. But you're making it all seem so easy! Maybe I can do it. Dex, if I get to that screen on my laptop from my various cities in Europe, and I am dialing mostly US cell phones, will my call show up as an international call to those cell phones? I don't want the people I am calling to get stuck with an international charge (the calls would be to clients of mine and there are lots of them - they randomly call me on referral or from the phone book with their legal issues, so I can't limit the numbers I am returning calls to.) Thanks and I hope it's okay to add a dimension to someone else's question.

Posted by
1 posts

Cindy: Once you have a username and password, you can download SKYPE in several devices with that account. For example, your netbook, your deskstop and if you have a smartphone you can also download the SKYPE application. I have not used SKYPE abroad but plan to use it over WIFI during an upcoming trip to Europe. I use SKYPE almost daily here in the US and PR without any problems.
Good luck and safe travels

Posted by
32772 posts

Mary What you said is what I meant. You can't just let it sleep though.

Posted by
1021 posts

Nigel and Mary are correct. At least one use every 180 days is necessary to avoid loss of credit. From the Skype website: "Skype Credit remains active for 180 days after your last use of a product or feature that uses credit. So making a single call, or sending a single text message will ensure your Skype Credit is active for a further 180 days." We've never gone that long without use, so I haven't run into the limitation and wasn't aware of the rule. Sorry for the misinformation. For those with smart phones, Skype has apps that are very handy to use when wifi is available. We've used it on our iPhone numerous times in hotels and cafes to make calls to the States. To avoid disturbing other customers, usually we step outside of a cafe but still within range of a strong wifi connection.

Posted by
71 posts

I have successfully downloaded skype onto my netbook, and I purchased $10 of credit, so I can place calls to non-skype family while I am in Italy. I have been trying unsuccessfully for 2 days to download skype to my desktop computer. I thought I could use my same skype name and password, but it isn't working. What am I missing?

Posted by
9100 posts

Can you be more specific about the troubles you're having?? The downloading and installing process will be identical: netbook/desktop
After you install it on your desktop, Skype will ask you if want to setup a new account or if you already have one. Choose the latter and simply plug-in your username/password. I have Skype installed on three different devices all to one account....no problems.

Posted by
71 posts

I already have an account on my netbook. Now when I try to get skype on my desktop I click on "download skype", and then I have tried both, "sign in" and " an account". When I type in my information it always says "please review info that you have entered". It specifically flags my skype name. It blocks me from going any further. I don't know enough about this process to proceed. I have tried to get help online, but it doesn't address my problem anywhere that I can find. This is an extremely frustrating process.

Posted by
1021 posts

I can imagine your frustration. Have you gone to skype.com, signed in, selected which version you want under "Get Skype" then tried to download? It's been awhile, but I'm pretty sure that's what I did when I put skype onto my netbook last year.

Posted by
1152 posts

Valerie: I don't think your question was answered. I paid a bit extra for a Skype online telephone number so others have a number to call to reach me through Skype. If you haven't done that, I'm not sure what Skype will show as the Caller ID on the phones of the people you call. It may be some unknown number. But I 'm pretty sure it won't be treated as an international call. And even if it was, the cost would be born by you, not those you call. If you have a cell phone you can set up Skype so it shows your cell phone number on Caller ID. That's a nice trick that allows recipients of calls to answer knowing who is calling. I recommend setting that up. Although I have a Skype number, I don't really give it out. Here is how I use it: I unconditionally forward my cell phone to that number (a local number on my cell phone plan) so that calls to my cell will go to Skype. Then I set up call forwarding in Skype so that calls to Skype are automatically forwarded to a foreign number based on where I am. Skype deducts the cost of that second forwarded call from my Skype credit at the lower Skype rates. This allows people in the U.S. to call me and not have to pay for more than a local call.

Posted by
1021 posts

The simple answer to Valerie's question is that using Skype is like a normal phone call to the recipient, i.e. they pay nothing unless the call is to a mobile phone and they happen to be on a cell plan which requires them to pay for incoming calls.

Posted by
162 posts

Okay, the headsets you need for skype for making phone calls, where can I buy them besides on skype's site? I'm not trying to spend $40 plus for headsets...crazy question, am I able to use my fiance's headset he uses for his online xbox games?

Posted by
9100 posts

Via what kind of device will you be using Skype? It you're using a laptop or netbook, a headset isn't mandatory as these devices typically have a microphone, and speaker built into them.

Posted by
162 posts

Michael, I will have a Dell Netbook which does have speakers and a camera, so your saying a speaker is installed as well? That's great!! Thank you so much!! I'll check it tonight, I so would have just went out and bought a headset, lol. Thanks again!!

Posted by
931 posts

Cindy, there is one important thing to remember about using Skype in Italy; Italy has very limited wi-fi hot spots. They just changed the law( opening up wi-fi), but just the same, hot spots are limited. Your best bet is Micky D's, and your accomodation. Check and see if each rental has wi-fi. Many have it, but you may have to be in the lobby to pick up the signal.

Posted by
1152 posts

You've already bought a headset, but to answer your question, there is no need to buy them from Skype. You can buy headsets almost anywhere, just so long as they fit in your computer. Walmart, Best Buy, and so on have them. For privacy purposes - and so you don't annoy everyone around you - you might want to have a headset when calling in a public place.

Posted by
162 posts

Paul, I haven't bought a headset, I mean we have my fiancee's headset for his xbox but Michael here just mentioned how I have it built into my netbook. I didn't think and appreciate that tip, on the privacy and annoyance factor!! Thanks!! Cindy, sorry for jumping into your thread!! ;)

Posted by
9100 posts

For privacy when using Skype you don't need those expensive headsets. Simply use regular earphones, the microphone on the netbook is sensitive enough that you don't have "yell" to make yourself heard. A normal speaking volume is fine.