Please sign in to post.

Sim or Esim?

Wondering whether to get either physical sim or an esim?

We will be in the Canada, UK, France, Florence, Rome, Croatia, Venice, Amsterdam, Greece, Singapore during our holiday.

Ive been looking at the Orange Holiday Europe one (20GB data/120min/1000txt) for while in Europe. Unfort it only appears to work for 14-days though and we are there for around 5weeks, our kids will be there 3 weeks.

The esim sounds a little more tricky to activate, and it sounds like they throttle?

Recommendations please? We all have iphones that range from 8 to 14 pro.

Posted by
5687 posts

I've never used an eSIM (my phone can't handle an eSIM). But, an eSIM would be easiest since you don't physically need to get a SIM card. If your existing phones have physical SIM cards, then eSIM would be even easier since you wouldn't have to remove your SIM cards.

What's your first European country? Depending on the first one, maybe you can pick up a good SIM there for the rest of your trip. Options are better in some countries than others. I'm still using a Dutch Vodafone SIM I got in 2017 - I keep it alive with a small use every six months (send a text) and can top it off online with a credit card. It has worked for me in several European countries and also works in the UK (despite Brexit) . If the Netherlands happened to be your first stop, I might get a Vodafone SIM there. Some of the UK SIM cards have been good deals too, but some may not support EU roaming anymore or not as cheaply.

Posted by
6 posts

We fly into Heathrow, however only there for a few hours until our flight to Paris. So essentially, Paris (CGD) will be our first port and really our "base" throughout Europe trip.

Posted by
6308 posts

If you have an iPhone 14, you will not be able to get a regular Sim card; only an eSIM. All iPhone 14 come with dual eSIMs and no physical port for a regular Sim card.

For what it’s worth, I used an Airalo eSIM data plan for 30 days last year in Germany and Denmark, and had absolutely no problem at all. The price was great, it was very easy to activate and worked like a charm.

Have you checked to see if your carrier has a decent international plan? T-Mobile has one that does not cost anything extra with a few minor exceptions.

Posted by
6 posts

Hi there, have checked with our carriers and its absolutely exorbitant prices!!

OK, I think we will go e-sims for all 5 of us.

Posted by
2267 posts

I moved my primary, home number to the eSIM on my phone, and use the physical slot for temporary SIMs, like traveling.

Posted by
6308 posts

Toby, yes, I did know that but I assumed that your phone is from the US, which means it does not.

Posted by
101 posts

I believe that after the 14 days are up with the Orange you can go into your account and top up, add more data/calls/etc. I don't know how much that would cost, however.

I just bought their 8gb Holiday Zen eSIM and it seems to have worked in downloading, etc. Guess I won't really find out until we land in Europe. Annoyingly, though, I wanted to buy the same for my husband but his phone doesn't take an eSIM and everywhere I've looked for the Holiday Zen SIM online is $10-20 more than the eSIM was (even though Orange says they're the same price); I may just buy the Orange Holiday even though we don't need that much data.

Posted by
52 posts

Hiya Kirsti

I ended up buying from a NZ company, they had very good reviews. I got 5 x eSims that will get activated by us on arrival to Europe (us in UK and kids in Paris). They have 30GB of data, 30-days of service, unlimited SMS and minutes to EU & UK (we will likely only be calling each other), can hotspot/tether, has a French phone number and €25 credit for calls to home, best of all, they work in iPhone 14's and below.

I also got actual SIM cards for Canada and Asia for the time we will be in those places.

Posted by
4 posts

What is the name of that esim company in NZ? Those specs would work well for my upcoming 3 weeks in UK, France and Poland.
Thanks.