Please sign in to post.

Sim Card Question

I went to Italy almost 2 years ago and just went to a cell phone shop and had the worker insert the SIM and recommend a plan for me which included texts, a few minutes for a few calls, and a small amount of data. It worked well and I had an Italian number.

This summer I'm in a different situation and I am having difficulty to find the right plan. The only company I seem to have located is OneSimCard.

I must have an American phone number for my 3 week trip. I'm going to Switzerland, Germany, Austria, and Italy. The only data I need is essentially to use Google Maps because I use that when walking and taking transportation. I need occasional texts and minutes to receive calls from the United States. I wouldn't need anymore than maybe 60 minutes (I don't anticipate more than 2 calls and these calls will be from work).

When I went to Italy it was easy because I just went to 1 country and it didn't matter where my phone number was from.

Does anyone have any suggestions for this? My phone plan is with AT&T and the international plans are insanely expensive. Thanks

Posted by
2916 posts

This web site has a list of multi-country SIMs, some of which have a US number. I've never used any of these, though.

Posted by
489 posts

We have downloaded Google maps before leaving the states and used these for navigation. I know some have said that Google maps may not work as well for walking. I know there are other apps for maps and off line navigation. Maybe you need to ask what other apps are available.
Curious how expensive is the At & T international plans? We are traveling with another couple and they have ATT and we have Verizon... Our fee/ phone is $40 for a month, with limited minutes 100 and texts 100 and limited data, but we rarely use data... wifi is everywhere: coffee shops, hotels, restaurants. Just don't do your banking on unsecure wifi.

Posted by
5697 posts

If the only calls for which you think you need an American phone number are from work -- how about you get a European SIM with 30 days of data and limited calls and just let your work pick up the long-distance charges for their calls? Many years ago I checked in with my office by making collect calls from pay phones about twice a week -- I figured if they wanted to use up MY vacation time they could at least pay for the calls. (On another trip I left the cruise ship number -- amazing how they managed to make it through 10 days without any problems that were worth ship-to-shore rates!)
Nice to be retired!!

Posted by
5687 posts

Sign up for Google Voice, and you'll get a (new, additional) American phone number. It won't replace any existing number, though Google Voice is kind of a "forwarding" service. They require you to have existing phone service (with a major carrier or a landline) to sign up.

But once you get a Google Voice number, then you can install the Google Hangouts app (and Hangouts Dialer too, if you have an Android phone). Then you can receive calls (with Hangouts) on your Google Voice number for free (and make calls to US numbers for free, even to landlines). If you buy a European SIM, you'll get a European phone number - but you don't have to use it. Use Hangouts instead, for all US calls. I did this for a year in the US and for a few trips to Europe. Hangouts uses WiFi or data, not voice minutes to call, so your European SIM's phone number is completely irrelevant.

You can (should!) set this all up now. Try it out. It isn't perfect but works surprisingly well, enough that It was my sole phone service for a year. (Very cheap if you usually use WiFi and a prepaid SIM for data only.) Only difference in Europe is that you may need to add a +1 (country code) to the front of US numbers to call them.

Or...switch to Sprint or T-Mobile, both of which have good international roaming plans. Sprint has an amazing deal right now: switch to them with an eligible device and get a year of free unlimited data/voice/text . I did - my monthly bill is $3.20 in taxes and fees.

Posted by
122 posts

I've had some problems with Google Voice. Just found it not to be the most reliable.

My employer won't pay.

I did find a SIM card online that works in most countries in Europe where you get 5 GB, 200 Sms, and 1000 minutes with an American number for $60. I believe though the 300 SMS and 1000 Minutes only can be used for European numbers.

ATT wanted $120 for a month with 3 GB and I would have to pay $0.35 a minute for a call but texts are included.

Posted by
118 posts

If you know the days your employer will need to reach you then I would suggest taking advantage of the $10/day AT&T plan. You pay $10 access fee to use your domestic plan internationally (per day). Then get a local SIM for the rest of the days.

Posted by
5687 posts

I've had some problems with Google Voice. Just found it not to be the most reliable.

Not sure what kind of problems you have had. I have used Google Voice in some form for eight years in the US and for the last year used it and Hangouts as my primary, daily phone service. Perfect? No - it has a few quirks, but very reliable, and the price of $0 can't be beat. If you need something closer to perfect, I'd probably pony up for the expensive AT&T plan. Who knows if that $60 SIM is any good?

Posted by
122 posts

Natalie, that is a great idea. I will look into that as I will most likely know the days before my trip.

Poster after Natalie (sorry I hate how you cannot respond and see the posts at the same time), yes I've had problems in the past with my phone not ringing and it going straight to voicemail and I know it wasn't my carrier. It's great you have made good use out of it.

Posted by
5687 posts

Yes, I've had that problem a few times too with Hangouts/Google Voice, though I've always had that occasionally with regular cell phone service too. I'm not sure why it's a big deal to miss a call once in a while - Google always notifies me when I even miss a call even if they don't leave a message and so I just call them right back. Same if I were using Sprint, T-Mobile, etc., except Google tells me about missed calls, too, even if the caller doesn't leave a voicemail. Still...no phone service is perfect. AT&T is probably the easiest for you, though, it sounds like.

Posted by
12172 posts

I don't get needing an American number? As far as I know that won't be possible with a European SIM. I purchase local SIMs but I don't care about the phone number, just the ability to call and have data available. Even with a local SIM, I'll use available WiFi rather than my data when I can.

I think Google Maps uses way too much data (and battery) compared to other options. I really like CoPilot for Europe. You download the maps ahead of time while at home and can get where you're going without any data. The screen is more like a regular GPS too, showing speed limits and speed traps. I've found Google does a better job searching for an address, and will navigate with data turned off. If you miss a turn, however, CoPilot will update your route quickly without data while Google Maps will be stuck if you don't turn data on.

Posted by
122 posts

You don't need to get why I need having an American number and I would rather not go into details about it (classified information).

I found a few companies that do it. I just wanted to see if anyone has any recommendations for a particular company.