Please sign in to post.

Sim Card

Hi,
I have purchased a phone from ebay for our trip to Germany this fall. We will be arriving in Koln by train and wondering where I can purchase a sim card, and help me with setting up the phone.

Thanks,
Wendy

Posted by
19118 posts

There is a Penny Markt at Eigelstein 51, near the Köln Hbf. You can buy a Pennymobil starter kit with a SIM for €4,95 and it includes a €5 credit. I'm not sure what their international rates might be, but you can get a minute pass (MCI) card at Sam's with Europe-to-US rates and toll free numbers to call in Europe.

Posted by
190 posts

Hi Lee,
Are you talking Sam's Club here in the US?

Wendy

Posted by
32224 posts

Wendy,

You could also purchase a SIM card from one of the travel phone firms here, and that way it would be set up and ready to go before you even arrive in Germany.

Whether to use a SIM from Germany or a travel SIM will depend on the type of calling you expect to do. If you're going to be making a lot of calls in Germany and mostly receiving calls from there, a local SIM will provide slightly better rates.

Some of the firms you could look at include Roam Simple, Call In Europe, Cellular Abroad, Telestial and Mobal. Check their respective websites for rates and other information (one of them was offering FREE SIM's lately).

If you're expecting a lot of calls from the U.S., be sure to tell your contacts that they'll be making a long distance international call. This will be the case regardelss of whether you choose the travel SIM or one from Germany.

I tend to use text primarily to keep in touch with friends and family back home, as it's much cheaper and the difference in time zones isn't an issue (they retrieve the text when it's convenient).

Happy travels!