Please sign in to post.

Sicily in March?

Hi all,

I have about 10 days to travel in mid-March. Sicily has been on my radar for a while and having loved Italy every visit, I was wondering if Sicily might be a good destination to travel to in March.

If any of you have traveled to Sicily in March, could you please share your experience? I am a little concerned about the weather (which I understand can be unpredictable), so would also love to hear what to expect.

Also open to suggestions for other good destinations for March!

Thanks!

Posted by
317 posts

Hi,

I traveled to Sicily in 2016. We were there at the very beginning of March since one of our group of four was meeting us after a Swiss ski trip in February. We toured the entire island in a counterclockwise direction, starting in Palermo and ending in Taormina. We had lovely weather, mid 60s most days. I only recall 1 day of rain. Crowds were few. It was an amazing trip!! Let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Posted by
2395 posts

I did the RS Sicily tour in March 2018.
I thought is was an ideal time to visit if you try to avoid hot weather. Comfortable temps and only a couple of days with a few sprinkles of rain.

Posted by
11342 posts

Unpredictable is the word anywhere, it seems. In 2013, we endured a chilly week in western Sicily. Two nice-ish days and 4 not-so-nice, even driving in snow outside of Palermo!

OTOH, I have been in Venice, Florence, and Rome in March and had sun, 70s, and blooming flowers.

Pack a warmer layer just-in-case and go for it!

Posted by
2186 posts

Several years ago, we arrived in Sicily on March 21. For the first few days, we had nothing but cold rain - and the restaurants in their old stone buildings were COLD. As we continued exploring the western side of the island, we encountered every type of weather including HOT in Agrigento. So... unpredictable is the keyword.