Please sign in to post.

Shoes

I know that the topic of shoes enters into highly subjective territory, but I still would like to ask. I am on my feet a lot and up until a couple of years ago always just bought whatever shoes I could get on sale at Kohl's that looked nice. However, at a certain point I realized that not only were they not very comfortable, but they wore out very quickly and it wasn't necessarily cost-effective either. Then I discovered Eccos, which, while expensive, were more comfortable than I could imagine shoes to be. And they hold up for a very long time compared to those cheap Kohl's shoes. I am just wondering if any male readers here have found something better than Eccos, in terms of comfort or quality; maybe someone who had a similar process of "conversion" like I did. At this point I can make a pair of Eccos last me 9 months to a year of daily wear (and now, walking daily on cobblestones, etc.). I wouldn't want to spend much more than the $100-$150 range that a normal pair of the type of Eccos I wear costs, but wonder about the other possibilities. I am clueless when it comes to this type of shopping.

Posted by
1840 posts

Rockport makes the most comfortable shoe I have. There are many models, but the ones I have purchased have all been comfortable. I take one pair of shoes on our month and a half journeys, always Rockport. Another brand I have several pairs of is SAS, San Antonio Shoes, that are really old peoples shoes. They are handmade here in the states and are worth every penny. I also always use orthotics. I ahve some custom made ones but I can't tell any difference between them and the ones I bought at REI. If you get into orthotics you need to talk to someone who knows about them, not the mass marketed kind. The Rockports I will be taking this fall are called World Traveler, or something like that.

Posted by
3428 posts

While I am not male, my dad LOVED his SAS shoes. He had very, very, very wide and very, very short feet (he wore men's sixe 61/2 EEEEE). He also had diabetic nueropothy and the SAS shoes helped somewhat with that pain.
I wore the women's SAS walking shoes when I was an assistant principal (on my feet most of the day- and my day was from 6:30 am to sometimes 9:30 pm). One pair lasted more than 2 years, though I only wore ithem about 4 days out of 5 most weeks - I wore SAS dress shoes on the 5th day. I have short wide feet, too and have a horrible bunion so I need even more width. The shoes are very supportive and durable- and look good too. They make very narrow to very, very, very wide widths.

Posted by
32220 posts

Bryan, I've used Rockport World Traveller shoes on past trips, but my current favourites and the shoes I've travelled with for the last few years are ECCO Trac II Low Goretex models. I use these with custom carbon fibre Orthotic inserts and they've been very comfortable, even for long days with lots of walking. While they're a bit on the expensive side, I don't mind paying the price to avoid foot problems when I'm travelling. If you have unusual sizing requirements (ie: very wide feet or whatever), they may not work for you. You could also have a look at Mephisto shoes, but those are also somewhat pricey. Happy travels!

Posted by
12172 posts

I have two pair of Eccos. I like that they are waterproof and do seem to last forever. I love one pair and want to get rid of the other pair. Unfortunately I'm too cheap to get rid of them before I wear them out, so I'm wearing them and wearing them with no end in sight. I wore my first pair of Rockports with bottoms designed by Adidas on my last trip. I chose them because they had a lower profile heel. I'm not sure why, but I ended up with huge heel pain (may have been from a piece of glass I got in my foot before the trip) and it's taken two months to get past. I had planned to wear a pair of Clark's for the trip but the tread was getting smooth so they are too slippery for walking on wet stone, which is common in Europe (especially in spring). I also wore a pair of Adidas trail runners which were great for the heel, but turned out to have a tight area on the side of my foot that became painful after long days of wear. I had used these shoes for walking and running before the trip and didn't have a problem - I guess you never really know until you put the miles on. Adidas trail runners are a staple second shoe for me, this is the first pair I've had an issue with.

Posted by
894 posts

A word from the distaff side. One thing to remember with shoes is not only the quality of the uppers and the soles but also the type of last (form) the shoe is made on. If the inner sole gives support in the wrong place you are going to have sore feet, especially if pounding pavements. Also sizes and widths differ from brand to brand. If Eccos work for you (and they are great shoes - I love 'em) stick with them. They are what I usually wear for walking, touring etc. Their exercise sandals are great too.

Posted by
1446 posts

SAS shoes are the first ones I've worn that work well for me - up to the point I bought my first pair, I always had foot pain. These are wonderful. I agree, they are old people's shoes but I'm willing to wear them for the comfort (and I guess I'm in that category!)

Posted by
1557 posts

I too am a big fan of Eccos. I pick them up cheaply <$70 at Nordstroms Rack. Obviously selection will vary but if you check occasionally you will normally find a good pair.

Posted by
123 posts

I agree with SAS shoes. They accommodate our orthotics and have also really alleviated/lessened the problems we've had with knees and hips (sciatica). My husband and I both wear them all the time, especially for our trips to Europe and we both do lots of walking. We're "up there" in the age category but we both still like to look somewhat stylish...however, have found that comfort is more important. The price is well worth it. Tip: Whether at home or traveling we both use (take with us) 2 pair of walking shoes and alternate them. Seems to make them last longer. For the girls out there: When in Europe (besides my 2 pair of walking shoes) I also bring a great little pair of black sandals by NAOT. They weight next to nothing, are comfy and look great too.

Posted by
39 posts

I take exception to Monte and Sharon referring to SAS being for "old people". Just how old does one have to be to qualify? This post is supposed to be helpful not disparaging. The important thing is to find a walking shoe that is comfortable and supportive. Each person has various requirements in the way a shoe fits. I suggest finding a shoe that feels comfortable and wear it around the house for a few weeks. A store will ususally take a return if there is no visible wear. Try another brand if necessary, but give yourself time for a break in period.
Years ago I wore SAS and like them but they got too pricey. Now I wear both Reeboks and New Balance with no trouble. I am a volkswalker and put plenty of kms on my shoes. Bottom line: find a shoe that is comfortable.

Posted by
18 posts

My husband is on his 4th pair of World Travellers by Rockport. He likes them because they are lightweight, come in many colours and sizes and he finds them comfortable, but the inside liner rubs away. I'm going to try to find leather lined ones next time. I use Natuarlizer women's lace-up shoes because they are suede lined. They hold you foot from slipping and do not wear out from the inside. After a week on your feet, you will pay whatever it takes for good shoes! I got mine in 2009 and am still wearing them.