Please sign in to post.

September 2024

Currently, we can freely travel in September (for reasons I won't bore you with).
We just went to the UK and the Netherlands where the weather was perfect for us. Not too hot.
We're thinking about Portugal for next September but I'm concerned about heat. Are there cooler places to visit there? Is the Amalfi Coast in Italy overly hot in September? Greece?
Open to other suggestions; however, we have no interest in Germany, Poland, Austria, Switzerland or France. (Don't judge! It's personal and irrational - we admit!)

Posted by
11333 posts

It is still very much summer in Italy, especially the south, in September. I cannot speak to Greece or Portugal from personal experience, but this summer, including Sept., looked to be miserably hot in those countries.

The mountains of Italy will be a bit cooler, especially overnight. Or maybe Scandinavia?

Posted by
3905 posts

I think most of Portugal will still be quite hot in September. Have you considered Northern Spain aka "Green Spain" instead? It's quite the contrast compared to the rest of Spain, and looks more like Ireland mixed in with the Alps. The weather is much more temperate too, more like what you would find in Switzerland.

From medieval villages, to the picturesque wine regions, the emerald waters of Bay of Biscay, the culinary delights of the Basque country, the Celtic culture of Galicia, and finally the towering jagged peaks of the Picos de Europa, Northern Spain has something for everyone and is less touristy than the rest of Spain.

Here is a good article about Northern Spain:
https://capturetheatlas.com/northern-spain/

Posted by
27137 posts

I was going to recommend Northern Spain myself. Also Brittany and Normandy in France. Most of the time those areas have moderate temperatures even in mid-summer. I've used them for breaks from summer heat during my own trips.