Please sign in to post.

September 2015 Trip: France, Spain, Greece, Romania?? Itinerary Help Please.

Hello all! I am planning a sixteen day trip (assuming that means two weeks on the ground) this coming September with my husband (we are both 25) and am struggling with the itinerary. My husband insists that he is simply along for the ride, which is great because I love planning, but also overwhelming as Europe has much to see! I did a whirlwind trip with my sister in 2012, so have been to Norway (oslo, kristiansand), Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Germany (Rhine, Berlin, Freiberg), Italy (Cinque Terre, Florence), Salzburg, and Strasbourg (sadly for one night only). I am learning french now so I know I want part of this next trip to be in France. Here are my thoughts, any advice is much appreciated!! I am looking for a relaxing trip, don't need to go super cheaply but do not have loads to spend, adore smaller town bases, and am okay with car rental for parts, ...anything else?

Option 1:
Burguny for 4 nights (fly into Paris?)
Provence for 6-7 nights
Collioure for 2-3 nights
Barcelona or San Sebastian 1-2 nights to end the trip. Fly out here

Option 2 (busier and only France, too busy?)
Fly in, home base Honfluer and see Giverny for a few nights. Maybe stay a night or two in Bloise?
Colmar to see Alsace for 2 nights
Burgundy 2-3 nights
Alps 2 nights
Provence for remainder of trip, fly out Nice.

Option 3:
Burgundy and Provence then to Tuscany for one week.

Other places that are tempting me enough to mention: Sibiu, Romania; Santorini, Greece; Slovenia in general, and Dubrovnik, Croatia.

Any thoughts? I know it depends a lot on what I'm looking for. Just need some help with pros/cons I suppose. Thank you!

Posted by
4637 posts

You are learning French so stay with France. You got only 16 days. You don't want to spend your vacation in the airports. There is so much to see in France. Your options are practically endless. Paris, Normandy, Burgundy, French Alps, Provence, Alsace, etc. I would recommend Rick Steves book France, read it all and choose what you think you would like. Rick Steves books are not like Lonely Planet. He already chose the cream of the country for you. So you don't have to browse through everything.

Posted by
1527 posts

Stay in France, go for romance, you both will be pleased.
No one night stands, create unfrenzied memories.
Set a pace, allowing grace, and the opportunity to interact with humanity.
Always a planner? That is okay, just remember you are on a holiday.
Finally, allow time to wander about and wonder what life is about
as you inhale France so deeply.

Posted by
17908 posts

Other places that are tempting me enough to mention: Sibiu, Romania;
Santorini, Greece; Slovenia in general, and Dubrovnik, Croatia

Normally I would encourage anyone to go to Central/Eastern Europe but your list is so narrow it doesn't show much interest beyond possibly some pretty pictures you might have seen or some antidotal story. Sibu for instance is a great town; one of may great towns of Romania. You don't just go to Sibu, if your goal is to travel all the way to Romania and Sibu is the only reason; then no, dont go to Romania. Dubrovnik is a little better as a destination but it is surrounded by so many other great places i would suggest that you wait and see if your interests broaden and them plan a trip to Croatia, Montenegro, Bosnia among others. Play it safe.............. go to France.

Posted by
16893 posts

Given the many tempting options in France, I agree that you should focus on those and save other countries for other trips. If you fly into Paris, then I would sleep there. You could train through Paris to Normandy after your flight arrival, generally without reservations, but that planning seems to cause stress for other people on this forum, and is not the most fun thing to do when jet-lagged. Or you could make Alsace the first stop, flying into Strasbourg and home from Nice.

Posted by
5 posts

Thank you for the replies, I agree that I should stick with France for now. It is tempting to get over to Romania, Slovenia, etc., but I'd like to plan another trip in the future that makes more sense time wise. Does anyone think going from Collioure to Barcelona at the end of the trip is worthwhile? Thanks again! Also, Honfleur vs. Rouen vs. Blois for a 3 night stay at the beginning of the trip, any recommendations/input from people who have visited to help me decide which one to base in?

Posted by
1527 posts

Re: barcelona
Would you touch your toe into the ocean in order to say you have been in the ocean?
Barcelona is a minimum three day experience and we often stay for five.

Posted by
2400 posts

Why no nights in Paris? Have you both been there? Of your three options, I'd prefer number two, but all look good.

Posted by
5 posts

Yes, I have been to Paris a few times, sorry for not mentioning that in the post. Thank you again all for the help.

Posted by
17908 posts

I have a photograph of my feet I the water. Yup, makes absolutely no sense. It was freezing cold and the back sea is sort of............well..................black. But it was a memorable moment.