Please sign in to post.

Schengen visa question

I was in Europe for the first two weeks in June and I plan on going back in mid-October and staying for as long as I can. My question is since my date of first entry was June 1st, does the clock on the 180 days reset on January 1st? So can I get another visa and stay another 90 days? Would I have to leave briefly and come back? Thanks.

Posted by
1840 posts

Given the quality of responses to the question just above your's, I think you should look to an official source for an answer. Fortunately for you I don't know what the official source is and I'm not going to guess.

Posted by
19234 posts

As I understand it, the rule is 90 days in the Schengen zone in any 180 day period, so from June 1, 2013, 180 days is Nov 28. If you were in Schengen for 14 days after June 1, and you re-enter on Oct 15, there are 44 days between 15 Oct and 28 Nov, so on November 28 you will have spent only 58 days in Schengen. No problem. After that, every new day starts a new 180 day period, so one of the first days in June drops off, replaced by a day in Nov/Dec. You could stay until January 14, 2014.

Posted by
23548 posts

Lee is correct but an interesting way to explain it but it works. End date is correct. You are allow 90 days out of 180 days. Each time you enter you start a new 180 day cycle. If the cycles overlap, as you are doing, then you count in each cycles. If you returned on Dec 1, you could stay till through Feb 28th. This, of course, assumes you are an Am citizen. But as you present, a new 180 days starts on Oct 15 and that runs to Jan 14th.

Posted by
2829 posts

Assuming 2 weeks = 14 days, you can stay no more than another 76 days in the Schengen area until the days you spend in June start to move out of the last-180 window.

Posted by
9369 posts

Lee is correct, and I got the same date when I figured it. To answer your question, though, no, the clock does not reset on January 1st and you don't get another 90 days. And once you use up your 90 days, you must leave for 90 days (not just "briefly"). The 180 day period is a moving one, depending on your date of entry into Schengen.