Please sign in to post.

Schengen question...

Hello! Question about the Schengen Zone: Bulgaria and Romania are part of the EU, but are not part of the Schengen Zone. I'm American - I've heard that staying in Bulgaria and Romania count against the 90 days we can spend in Schengen countries. Is this true? Thanks!

Posted by
32201 posts

Mikel, At the present time, Bulgaria and Romania are NOT part of the zone covered by the Schengen Agreement, although they are part of the E.U. Bulgaria, Romania and Cyprus are all supposed to join the Schengen area at a "later date", but no specific date has been decided on (AFAIK). The E.U. is concerned about "corruption and organized crime", so until those concerns are addressed, I don't think Bulgaria and Romania will be admitted. Cheers!

Posted by
9 posts

Okay...I'm totally confused. I've heard that Bulgaria and Romania (EU, not Schengen) will count against the 90 days in other Schengen countries. Is this true?

Posted by
4407 posts

Okay...I'm totally confused. According to many Wikipedia entries : "Stays exceeding three months For stays in the Schengen Area as a whole which exceed three months, as a general rule, a third-country national (i.e. a non-EU, EEA or Swiss national) will need to hold either a long-stay visa for a period of no longer than a year or a residence permit for longer periods. Similarly, a third-country national who wishes to stay for more than three months in Bulgaria, Cyprus or Romania will be required to hold a long-stay visa or a residence permit." USA State Dept Info: Bulgaria Romania They use the same '90-days' term, but they're separate from Schengen Visa limitations.

Posted by
9363 posts

No, they will not count as Schengen tme, since they are NOT in Schengen.

Posted by
9 posts

Thanks for the quick responses! I appreciate the assistance. :)