Please sign in to post.

Scandinavia

We are planning our next trip (September 2015) and are planning on doing Norway, Sweden, Finland (with a side trip to Tallin) and Denmark to name a few. I'm trying to figure out how much time in each country (we will be in Eurpoe for a total of approximately 3 -3 1/2 weeks).

We are looking at going north in Norway to see the Northern lights....is early September to early?

Best way to travel from each of these countries--i.e is it easier to take a flight from Norway to Sweden, etc.

From what I have read Finland (Helsinki and possibly Turku) sounds like we could get away with 2 days (including the side trip to Tallin). Is that possible?

What are some of your favorite places in these countries? We like to do some of the must see's for tourists but also tend to like the "off the beaten path" type things. We aren't really huge musuem folks unless it's something that is a definite must see.

Would love to stay at B&B's if possible and are pretty easy going and low maintenance.

Any help or suggestions would be great.

Posted by
2602 posts

I've only been to Tallinn and Helsinki so will tell you what I know about those 2 places. I spent a full week in Estonia in early Sept 2013--I'm part Estonian so wanted to visit numerous museums, historic sites and took a couple of day trips as well as the ferry to Helsinki for a day. September is still lovely weather there with just a chance of rain. I stayed at a boutique hotel called the Savoy, in Tallinn's beautiful Old Town but just on the edge of the New Town so easy to walk to many things as well as catch a bus or tram, very nice hotel--clean, well-kept, lovely room, great bar and excellent restaurant. Breakfast was included and everything was good. All in all it was one of my most enjoyed vacations, nice mix of things to do and see plus time for relaxing, and I do plan to return in a couple of years.

If you're not big on museums you could certainly get away with a full day (as in 2 nights) in Tallinn, lots to explore in the charming Old Town on your own or take a tour--I highly recommend EstAdventures for walking tours as well as day trips, I went to Lahemaa National Park on one and on another to the western area, including Haapsalu. Beautiful countryside, lots of ruins and manor houses to tour. I also rode the bus to the outskirts for the Rocca al Mare Outdoor History Museum--lots of walking to see numerous original Estonian houses from various periods in history, then to their zoo--enjoyable but not a must-see. If you're a fan of hand-made things you'll find several co-ops in Tallinn, plus as a knitter I knew I'd need to buy some of their famous lace scarves and mittens--just avoid the outdoor market stalls as that stuff is all machine-knitted.

I took the Tallink Silja ferry to Helsinki for a full day, about 2 hours. I recommend at least a full day in Helsinki as well, quite a charming and cosmopolitan city and I only scratched the surface. Knowing what I know now I'd have moved camp to Helsinki for 2-3 full days and flown home from there. From the ferry terminal I caught a bus to the Esplanade for the outdoor market and to catch a smaller boat to Suomenlinna sea fortress, lots to see there but I spent perhaps 2 hours since I wanted to see more of Helsinki and not miss the return ferry to Tallinn. I didn't visit any museums, instead just walked and admired their architecture and shopped a bit--big fan of Moomins and Marimekko.

Looking at your itinerary, I'd suggest starting or ending in Tallinn as it has a pleasantly low-key feeling for a capital city and the airport is ridiculously easy to get to and from, 5-10 minutes from downtown and the cabbies are honest there. Estonians are as friendly as you need them to be, and lots of English speakers. I don't know if you can still access it, but I did a thorough Trip Report called Glorious Estonia on 9/16/13.

Posted by
1717 posts

Hello Tracy. 3 and 1/2 weeks is plenty of time for travelling in Scandinavia and to Helsinki and Tallin. I think a good travel plan is :
* Fly to Copenhagen with Delta Airlines. That was the least expensive flight to a country in Scandinavia, when I went to there.
* When you leave Denmark, fly from Copenhagen to Bergen in Norway.
* After two nights at Bergen, if the weather is pleasant, ride in a fast boat from Bergen to Balestrand at the Sognefjord, via the north Atlantic Ocean. Bring your baggage.
* After two nights in a hotel at Balestrand, ride in a fast boat from Balestrand, on the Sognefjord, to Flam at the Aurlandfjord. Eat lunch at Flam. Ride in the electric train uphill to Myrdal. 12 miles. (very scenic !). Railroad train from Myrdal to Oslo.
* I think one whole day at Oslo is sufficient time there.

* You will have time for going on an excursion trip to Lillehammar, via train. Be there two nights, and return to Oslo.
* Train from Oslo to Stockholm : a high - speed train goes to Stockholm in 4 Hours and 50 Minutes.
* Transportation to Helsinki : many people liked riding in a ship, overnight from Stockholm to Helsinki.
* When you leave Helsinki, ride in a boat across the Baltic Sea to Tallin.
* I suggest flying from Tallin to Stockholm. In my Scandinavia trip, I went in a train from Stockholm to Copenhagen, and I was at Copenhagen one night, and the next morning I flew with Delta Airlines from Copenhagen to the U.S.A. ( I flew from the U.S.A. to Copenhagen, and from Copenhagen to the U.S.A.). Another way to do it is to fly from Tallin to Copenhagen. Estonia has an airline. (or it did).

Posted by
2081 posts

Tracy,

I only did Oslo, Copenhagen and Stockholm when i was there and used Norwegian Air for all of my travels between since they had the best price and were going where i wanted to and the times.

I fly solo so what i will like in terms of lodging probably won't float your boat.

good luck and happy trails.

Posted by
12040 posts

September is too early for a good chance at seeing the northern lights, unless you heard north and stay there for a long time. To see the lights, a solar storm needs to hit the atmosphere at a time when the skies are clear and dark. There just aren't enough hours of darkness in September to make this a good bet. And even during the winter, you still have to get lucky.

Posted by
2788 posts

I have been to all of the countries you have mentioned. You have received some good advice about your proposed schedule. I would warn you of the high costs of Denmark, Sweden, and particularly Norway. I have traveled throughout Europe every summer for 12 of the last 13 years and found that the prices in the Scandinavia countries to be the highest by a large margin. The price of a "Big Mac", something I record in every country to use as a comparison for prices, was twice as high in Bergen as it was anywhere else on the continent. Do your research before you go so that you will not be disappointed. That area is probably my favorite in all of Europe. Happy travels.

Posted by
2126 posts

If you're going to Scandinavia, you ought to check out the cheap airfares on Norwegian Air. In the US, they only fly from LAX, JFK and Florida, so you'd have to fly into (and back home from) one of these cities. But I just looked, and in September/October you can fly round trip from Orlando to Copenhagen for under $500. Might be worth the inconvenience!

Posted by
3391 posts

Here are some places in Scandinavia that I really love...
Vigeland Park in Oslo - a couple of hours
Kristiansand, Norway - a day
Bergen, Norway - a day. Edward Grieg's house is well worth seeing
Alesund, Norway
Stockholm - two days
Take a boat out to the islands off the southern coast of Norway. They are beautiful stone islands where lots of people have small summer houses.

Posted by
69 posts

Tracy,

I envy you the opportunity to spend 3 weeks touring Scandinavia. It is a beautiful and fascinating part of Europe often overlooked by Americans planning a European holiday.

I have had extensive experience traveling throughout this area. I spent a year of college in Copenhagen. I have many friends and family there and have traveled throughout Denmark a couple of dozen times since then for work and pleasure. I've also traveled to all of the places you mention as possibilities at least a half dozen times. Having said that I think that Ricks suggested itinerary (copied below) is spot on for a first time visitor. For cities, as Rick suggests, I would focus on Copenhagen and Stockholm (and while in Stockholm would strongly suggest a day trip to view the Stockholm archipelago. Good luck. You are going to have a wonderful time!

Scandinavia's Best Three-Week Trip (by Train and Boat)
Day 1: Arrive in Copenhagen (sleep in Copenhagen)
Day 2: Copenhagen (sleep in Copenhagen)
Day 3: Copenhagen (sleep in Copenhagen)
Day 4: Roskilde, Odense, Ærø (sleep in Ærøskøbing)
Day 5: Ærø (sleep in Ærøskøbing)
Day 6: Ærø to Kalmar (sleep in Kalmar)
Day 7: Kalmar (sleep in Kalmar)
Day 8: Kalmar, early train to Stockholm (sleep in Stockholm)
Day 9: Stockholm (sleep in Stockholm)
Day 10: Stockholm, night boat to Helsinki (sleep on boat)
Day 11: Helsinki (sleep in Helsinki)
Day 12: Helsinki, afternoon boat to Tallinn (sleep inTallinn)
Day 13: Tallinn, night boat to Stockholm (sleep on boat)
Day 14: Stockholm, afternoon train to Oslo (sleep in Oslo)
Day 15: Oslo (sleep in Oslo)
Day 16: Oslo (sleep in Oslo)
Day 17: Train and boat to Aurland (sleep in Aurland)
Day 18: Aurland to Bergen via fjord cruise (sleep in Bergen)
Day 19: Bergen (sleep in Bergen)
Day 20: Free day: more fjords, resting, or whatever
Day 21: Trip over
If you want to see Legoland (near Billund) and the "bog man" (in Aarhus), visit these from Odense (closer) or Copenhagen. You could save lots of time by flying from Tallinn to Oslo.

Scott