Please sign in to post.

Scandinavia

Hi all,

Would welcome some feedback. We land in Stockholm on the morning of 7/1 & plan to visit there,Oslo,Norway in a Nutshell & Helsinki before taking the ferry from the latter to Tallinn to meet our tour on 7/8. We will return to Stockholm on the evening of 7/14 before flying home on the 17th so will have 2 full days in Stockholm. Question--how best to spend from 7/1-7/8? Spend the first night in Stockholm,how many days for Oslo, the Nutshell, Helsinki? Trying to put Rick's suggestions into the above time-frame so all input gratefully accepted. Many thanks in advance. WR in LA.

Posted by
544 posts

I think with the time given I would do Stockholm - Oslo - Nutshell - Bergen - Helsinki:
Fly to Oslo on July 2nd in the evening after dinner, giving you a full day in Stockholm. From Oslo Airport, take the train, either the NSB train or the Flytoget, NSB is cheaper and slightly longer, but don't buy this ticket ahead in case the plane is delayed. Consider staying at the Thon hotel Opera, since it is at the Oslo train station, so it'll be easy to get to and easy to get to the early train for the nutshell trip. Spend two days in Oslo, one to check out Vigelandsparken and Holmenkollen and the other day to hit the museums at Bygdøy. Add other sites and walking Karl Johans around visits to either of the other two.
Take the Nutshell trip on the 5th. You get in late to Bergen, so it's worth having one full day in Bergen before flying to Hesinki on the 7th.
If you book ahead, the flights should be quite reasonable. Be sure to check whether you'll have bag fees or if the bags are included when comparing fares between Norwegian and SAS.

Posted by
12172 posts

I would definitely include a ferry trip to Helsinki. The ferry lets you see the archipelago, which is worth seeing. You are going to Tallinn later so you don't need to do the entire triangle.

Another place to visit, not far from Stockholm is Uppsala. It's a very old city but is now a university town - so both history and lively. I haven't been to Visby but that's another very historic city.

I liked St. Petersburg and Gdansk also, but I'm not sure you spend your time wandering from Sweden.