Please sign in to post.
Posted by
1925 posts

I live in Austin and saw that in the news.

I did not realize that Austin is so ahead in flights to Europe. We have a lot with more coming. It has been a few years snce the first one which was BA Austin to London.

We finally have a true blue international airport here.

Posted by
77 posts

Thanks for posting this. Although my profile says Houston, I am actually living in San Antonio now!

Em

Posted by
17941 posts

And even though my profile says Magyarország / Texas I am also a resident of San Antonio (and I fly out of Austin).
So, thank you.

But here is the problem, its CONDOR. They codeshare with Bulgaria Air and a few others you wont be thinking about taking. So unless they go to the final destination, you will have to use multiple tickets.

Posted by
1925 posts

Here is a sort of funny story about when B A first began to fly direct from and to Austin

It was maybe the first flight coming from London to Austin non-stop.

And there were no immigration / customs officials iwaiting n Austin.

All the passengers had to wait behind closed doors until customs staff were brought up ffom San Antonio to inspect and allow them in.

Oh, I bet they were fuming. Talk about cranky.

We have greatly improved. Still have a long way to go but doing good and improving. Finally, we are becoming an international airport.

S A has some international flights to Mexico and other south of the border locations, don't they. They are just getting their first European ones.

Posted by
17941 posts

Dave, we have flights to Mexico... I don't believe any place else.

The reason not mentioned in the article for there not being European service here is that San Antonio residents don't match the profile of RS types; or any kind of European tourist type.

Posted by
1925 posts

Mister E

yes Austin is new age, politically correct, progressive, etc. and most affluent. They are the R S audience.

It was not like this when I came in 1972. You lived in Austin because you loved Austin and wanted to live differently. If making money was important to you, you had to move somewhere else.

Things have changed for better and for worse.