Please sign in to post.

Salzburg vs. Vienna

My wife & I are planning an approx. 2-week trip to Prague, Vienna, and Budapest in September, all by rail. In researching the three cities, it would appear that there is less to see in Vienna as opposed to the other two cities when it comes to our tastes (we're not much on museums and churches). As such, I started looking around at other sights in the eastern half of Austria, and found a few, i.e., the Eisriesenwelt ice caves, Hohenwerfen castle, and Schafberg (with spectacular views), all not far from Salzburg, which could act as an anchor for these places.

We can even take a train from Prague to Salzburg, and then to Vienna. We'd cut some days out of Vienna and "give" them to Salzburg. At Salzburg, we'd rent a car to see the aforementioned sights, staying there for 2-3 days.

Does this itinerary make sense re: Salzburg vs. Vienna? Are we shortchanging Vienna?

Thank you.

Posted by
7827 posts

You say "In researching the three cities, it would appear that there is less to see in Vienna as opposed to the other two cities when it comes to our tastes." It sounds like you have a sound approach to planning your trip through research determining what you want to see so why are you asking if you are shortchanging Vienna ?

Posted by
3049 posts

There's a lot to do in Salzburg and the area that are enjoyable and the scenery is great, although some of the greatest attractions are in fact, churches.

Have you been to Europe before and know for a fact that churches and museums aren't your thing? If so, yeah, I'd definitely say go with Salzburg over Vienna. That said, I love the beauty and culture of Vienna, but I'm also someone who gets excited about...museums and churches so I may not be the best person to advise you here.

Posted by
7026 posts

Does this itinerary make sense re: Salzburg vs. Vienna? Are we shortchanging Vienna?

It does make sense according to what you like to do. My only question is: how much time does that leave you in Vienna? Even without museums and/or churches it deserves at least 3 full days, with one of those for a day trip to the Wachau Valley.

Posted by
136 posts

Hi Sarah

We've been to Europe a lot. I misspoke or misled when I wrote that we do not like museums & churches. We do in fact enjoy them but not in an overwhelming number.

Since my original post, I've found that Salzburg has a lot to offer, e.g., Berchtesgaden, Germany, with Hitler's retreat and other WWII sites; the aforementioned caves, castle, and Schafberg; and, via Rick Steves' Vienna-Salzburg-Tirol book, we've discovered the town of Halstett, which appears to be phenomenal.

So we may end up staying in Salzburg for three whole days (two additional partial days for arriving and departing by train) and renting a car to see all the sights. We may add a day or two for Vienna, since we'll be so close.

Thanks for your feedback!

Posted by
1661 posts

It was unclear from your post where you are flying in and out. Also, Vienna is in the Eastern part of Austria. Salzburg is more west than any cities you listed. Unless you have already booked tickets, I would consider flying into Budapest, visit Vienna, Salzburg then Prague and fly out of Prague.

I really enjoyed Vienna. Elegant architecture, great opera house to visit, excellent food and very interesting sights. That being said, Salzburg is a really enjoyable city also. IMO if I had to choose between the two I would pick Vienna. However, if you can work in both you won't be disappointed. Enjoy your trip.

Posted by
7659 posts

Both cities are great places to visit, but you need to compare Things to Do on TripAdvisor for both cities and make your decision.

For Salzburg you can visit the Salt Mines as well and nearby Berchtesgaden, Germany. Also, visit Mozart's home and do a Sound of Music tour.
Vienna--nothing like having a sacher tort and coffee. It is a larger city with much history.

Posted by
491 posts

I've spent a lot of time in both places and there is plenty to do in either location. That said, Salzburg has a bit of a touristy feel. I like to stay (when in Salzburg) in the surrounding towns. Everything is well connected by good and inexpensive public transportation.
That said, Vienna is one of my favorite palaces in all of Europe..and not for the Sacher Torte.... not a major fan...there is so much more. The museums and churches are outstanding as is the music. Live high off the hog or slum it...there is a bit of everything there. What I would be doing is spending at least 3 or more days in Vienna and a couple in Salzburg... but it's your salad...if you plan on a one and done, give the extra time to Vienna. If you plan to come back then split the time and figure out what you'll do on your next visit. I've been to Vienna at least 15 times and I always find things to enjoy and do. I've been to Salzburg about 8 times and if I had to decide between one and the other, Vienna...

WRT Budapest..... a couple days there should be plenty. Yes, everyone raves about Budapest and it is a nice place to visit...but I would not short Vienna for it. There's an austerity to the city that it tries very hard to overcome and to a certain extent does...but it's not Vienna. If you hit the top touristy spots (the baths, the castle, the opera, parliament, museums) you'll have seen plenty of Buda and Pest and more than enough of the river and the bridges. For my taste, the Great Hall Market has always been a favorite..I've probably gone there at least a dozen times...bring an appetite and your camera. I actually enjoy staying in that general area and have found some pretty good restaurants there...
Possibly try the Salon and the pate' with a Tokaj to say you did. Stay clear of Unicum (yuck to the nth) and if you go for Palinka, ask for the stuff they keep under the bar...high octane. Goose is a local "thing"....that you will find in just about any decent restaurant..and more pate'