Please sign in to post.

Salzburg to Geneva - Schladming in Austria to Torgon in Switzerland

Hi
We( a family of 3 adults) are travelling to Europe in end April and will be staying in Salzburg, Geneva and Antwerp. We would like to take short trips to places of interest around these three places. Duration of stay at each place is 7 days.

What would be the best economic way to travel to places like Vienna, Munich, Zermatt, Lucerne, Zurich, Amsterdam, etc

What would be interesting to in and around Salzburg, Geneva and Antwerp?

What would be the best way to travel from Salzburg to Geneva - economically? We are actually staying at Schladming , which is an hour from Salzburg in Austria and from there we have to travel to Torgon in Switzerland which is an hour from Geneva.

Are there agents who help you to book travel within Europe?

Awaiting reply - plz help with starred question !

rgds
Jugneeta from India

Posted by
16895 posts

Hi, Jugneeta. I'm jumping in un-asked on this one (testing the new system).

If your preferred plan is firm, then you can better calculate whether a railpass saves money on your routes. Options cover one, two, four, or 24 countries. You can get an overview of standard, pay-as-you-go, 2nd-class train ticket prices on the maps at http://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/transportation/trains/cost-maps. In these countries, a railpass is very convenient to use, with no extra reservations/fees required for most daytime trains. For instance, a Select Saverpass for 10 days of 1st-class travel within 2 months in 4 countries costs about $720 per person. (Rick Steves' does not take orders for railpass delivery outside the USA, but eurail.com and other agents do.)

Or, three people sharing a car can also be a good value. Don't forget to add a budget for gas and parking. See also http://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/transportation/car-rental-costs.

Posted by
33457 posts

There are agents who can help with travel in Europe. I don't know what they are called, or even if they exist, in India (and India is quite different in different parts), but in Europe and North America they are called travel agents.

This website does not provide travel agents.

This helpline is a collection of fellow travelers who ask and answer questions to help each other, except for the people with blue RS badges who work for the company by are rarely seen.

Posted by
33457 posts

The starred route - by that I think you must mean the route in Bold is not so simple as it looks. The start is on a train line, and is served by Eurocity trains which make the run to Salzburg in something over an hour and a half, where connections can be made towards Switzerland. Unfortunately the destination is quite a long way from a train line and requires the use of a bus for 35 minutes from Aigle which itself is half an hour from Lausanne, not Geneva. That means a 4 train and one bus journey of almost 11 hours.

That is a rough ride, with no significant stops for rest.

By car it is a bit easier for the journey. An easy run into Salzburg, then via Munich and autobahns all the way west, Back into Austria around Bregenz and into Switzerland. You do have to pay for the Austrian and Swiss vignettes - but rental cars from Austria should have the Austrian one and many rental cars will come with the Swiss one - and you will have a drop charge which is much higher between countries than within one; but the journey is under 8.5 hours and you avoid all the extra tunnel tolls in western Austria.

I couldn't say which would be cheaper for 3 adults overall, you will have to do the maths.

Because of your inaccuracy of saying that you will be in Geneva and Salzburg when you are a long way away from each of those, the rest of your question is difficult to answer. I can't imagine how far you will be from Antwerpen.

I'd be surprised if a railpass is easier than a car in your circumstances.

Do you want to go to the actual other cities mentioned or do you want to go to somewhere "near" to each of them?