Please sign in to post.

safety

So, a friend and I are going to Europe. Everyone I've told this to is shocked and asks me if I've seen the movie Taken. Although very annoying, it does make me slightly worried. SO... how safe would you say it is for 2 young girls approximately 22 to be travelling in Europe. It's just us and we will be going to several cities (Paris, Rome, Florence, Barcelona) in May and June. Are there areas we should stay out of? Tips to keep safe?

Posted by
2193 posts

Frank's right. Review the State Department’s consular sheets online for the areas you’ll be visiting, reference a good guidebook regarding personal safety while traveling, and you’ll be fine. Europe isn’t Disneyland to be sure, and crime does exist (even violent crime & terrorism). Still, compared to the U.S., it’s much safer by most any measure. Of course, there are areas that tourists should avoid. If you prepare as you would for a visit to Chicago, NY, or DC, you’ll be more than ready. I’m not familiar with the film you mentioned, but you’re not going to get snatched from the curb…relax and have a fun trip.

BTW, why would your friends be "shocked" that you're going to Europe...I probably wouldn't associate with these people?

Posted by
818 posts

These people sound like they really need to get out more!

My best friend and I went to Amsterdam a few years back and heard the same thing from some stupid guy friend - "is that safe?" and "I can't believe your husbands are 'letting' you go".

HAVE FUN!

Tips - keep your eyes open, don't be dumb, keep your wallet and passport really safe, don't drink TOO much, stick together.

Posted by
12040 posts

Amazing all the fall-out from a work of complete fiction! Most areas of Europe are far safer than any city in the US. Those areas that may be less safe... trust me, you're not going to accidently stumble into les banlieus of Paris.

There is a problem with human trafficking in Europe, but it almost exclusively young women being lured from the Balkans, Caucases and Asia with offers of jobs. Human traffickers prey on women in desperate economic situations, not affluent Western tourists who put their guard down.

Posted by
9100 posts

Last June, I had a conversation with an American women living/attending graduate school in Paris. She told me that immediately after the movie Taken was released in the US, she got calls and emails from most all of her friends/family begging her to return home! They were very confident her kidnapping by the Albanian Mafia was imminent:)

Like the similar post a few days ago, I believe this is also a goof.

Posted by
990 posts

While I agree with the other posters that you aren't going to be kidnapped and sold into slavery in Europe, there actually is a danger that young women need to bear in mind. If the blogs of the Steves kids are any indication, young Americans frequently think Europe is a great place for hard partying, which leaves you vulnerable to sexual exploitation of the kind that occurs everywhere in the world.

So have fun, meet lots of Europeans your own age, but be sure you keep your wits about you--just as you might at a frat party. Remember to get each others backs and you'll have a terrific time.

Posted by
269 posts

You'll be fine ... just be smart, do your research, and don't trust every person you meet. Be selective, just like you would in your own city. You'll have a blast ... I did the same thing when I was your age (about eight years ago :) )and had a wonderful time.

Taken ruined European travel for half the country, it seems. We watched it on the plane ride over to Hungary last summer and laughed because we thought it was so awful and misleading.

Posted by
2776 posts

Hi J, my daughter and a friend was going to do a field study program thru their college in Scotland for 30 days, both were 20yrs old. They decided to backpack thru Europe before starting their study. They met in London, spent several days there then took the Eurostar to Paris, then they went to Milan, Rome, Florence, Vienna, Prague and Amsterdam,then back to London by the Eurostar to pick up the luggage that the hotel held for them for free, then a train to Edinburgh. They both had a great time and had no problems. There are internet cafes every where so you can keep in touch with you families. Our daughter would call home every three or four days. Like above posts you will be safer there then you are in Pittsburgh. You just have to use your common sense like you would here at home. Go, relax and have a great trip.

Posted by
873 posts

I haven't seen the movie, but if its Wikipedia summary is to be believed, the main culprit in the abduction was the daughter and her friend being dumb as bricks.

Posted by
64 posts

I'm still laughing at Frank II's reply...

Just the fact that you are asking the question tells me that you have more sense than the girls depicted in that movie. Do your research, scour this website and others for tips and just go have a good time.

You might want to review the sections of this website on scams. You're more likely to be pick pocketed or victim of a scam than a victim of a violent crime.

Posted by
2349 posts

Good thing you're not going to London. The movie, "28 Days Later" clearly shows they have a big zombie problem there.

Posted by
2716 posts

J, I was in Paris last fall, and in some ways it did seem safer than Pittsburgh. It's very safe to walk around most parts of Paris at night, but in Pittsburgh there are so few people in the city at night that I don't feel that comfortable.

On the other hand, there are very few pickpockets in Pittsburgh, but you really need to be on your guard in Paris, especially in the metro. With a money belt, you won't have to worry about that.

Finallly, make sure you are familiar with the scams you could encounter in Paris (more annoying than dangerous). In 30 years working downtown, I've never been approached by a scammer in Pittsburgh.

Posted by
12040 posts

"The movie, "28 Days Later" clearly shows they have a big zombie problem there." Hmm, the same thing happened in "Shawn of the Dead", so it must be true.

Just to be safe, better stay clear of the Berner Oberland as well (see "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" to learn of the nefarious plot being schemed on top of the Schilthorn!)

Posted by
977 posts

Great call Karen!!!! The best piece of advice I can give you, is drink in MODERATION. Don't find yourself in a situation where you are not in control of your faculties. Make sure you and your friend stick together at all times. Just be street smart. I wouldn't go down a dark alley here in little olde Aelaide (affectionately known as "The City of Churches") at night.
You will have the most amazing time. How are you going to discover new oceans if you are too afraid to leave the shore???!!!

Posted by
275 posts

Judging by "American Werewolf in London", I think that you Americans might have a special problem in London.

Posted by
316 posts

I had to laugh at Frank II's response because that was my first thought. Follow the suggestions of the other posters and you'll be fine. Tell your friends that they really need to get out more - seriously!

Posted by
32214 posts

J.,

Despite the humorous note of some of the replies, it's good that you're at least asking about security. To add to Frank II's comment, Europe is generally speaking much safer than the U.S. in many ways. The level of violent crime (especially involving guns) is lower, however the level of petty crime (ie: pickpocketing and scams) is higher.

I've seen the movie Taken and while it's good for action, there's also a certain amount of "Hollywood exaggeration". While I have heard of girls from the eastern part of Europe being "lured" to the west with the promise of jobs, I've never heard of any cases of western tourists being abducted. I suppose one could characterize the girls in the movie as being "dumb as bricks" (as someone else mentioned) or perhaps just naive.

There are never any guarantees, but if you prepare well you shouldn't have any problems. Wear a Money Belt (and NOT on the outside of your clothing, as I observed some young ladies from the U.S. doing in Italy last year). Be especially vigilant in crowded conditions (Metro & esp. the #64 Bus in Rome, which has a "reputation"). Be "situationally aware" of those around you and watch for distractions (such as the "mustard trick"), which are usually intended to part travellers with their money.

You may find it helpful to read the section on Tourist Scam Alerts on the Graffiti Wall on this website. You may also find that travelling with a Cellphone provides some "peace of mind" for your parents. If you send a text every day or so, they'll be less likely to worry (texting is quite inexpensive).

As the others have mentioned, if you plan on doing any "clubbing" or whatever, don't leave your drinks unattended while you're on the dance floor.

I've spoken with a number of girls your age who were travelling alone to the cities you mentioned, and they seemed to have few problems.

Good luck and happy travels!

Posted by
14539 posts

J--
Obviously, safety is a concern for anyone when traveling. I agree with the suggestions already posted, when it comes to being serious on this topic. But, do think of this: how do the European girls of your age travel from place to place in Europe, those German, Dutch, Italian, French, Swedish, Norwegian, English, Finnish girls...these are the nationalities I definitely remember seeing or meeting in the hostels in Germany, Austria, and Paris in my earlier trips and who were from 17-25...what makes you different from them when in traveling in Europe? How do the European girls manage in their travels? If they can do it, so can you.