Please sign in to post.

SAFETY

Thank you all for your input on "MONEY". My partner and I appreciate it very much. Our next question involves "SAFETY". We want to be able to walk around in London, Paris, and Amsterdam with every sensible precaution we can take. Of course, nothing is 100%. But, we would like to do the best that we can. Any help would be appreciated.

Posted by
9100 posts

If by safety you mean avoiding pickpockets, simply use a money belt or use the hotel room safe and all is good. Just keep a day worth of spending money in your wallet/purse everything else secured in your deep storage, not to be accessed in public. There is no reason to be paranoid.

Posted by
11507 posts

Alan safety as in "personal safety" is not a huge issue, less the in many cities in North American actaully. Safety if you mean "property " is another thing , watch your luggage in train stations, and watch your wallet everywhere. I am a woman who have visited Paris and London solo, a quite a few times, and with my children ( under 13, with no hubby along) a couple times, then with various friends. I can tell you safety of person was never an issue, obviuosly we didnt' walk down dark alleys at4 am after drinking all night, so if you behave in a normal common sense manner you have little to fear. Also I let my 13 yr leave the hotel on his own in both cities to wander nearby for snacks( McDonalds usually, lol ) , and once when I was really really ill I had to let my 11 yr dd old walk down the street from my hotel in Paris and grab some food.. that was a bit nerve racking but she was fine.. and there is no way I would let either of them do anything of the sort if I felt they were in any obvious danger ( other then the danger they would get hit by cars) ... Some people will read about an unfortunate occurance and over blow it up in their minds,, like there is a lady missing in Turkey, an American lady, the story is still coming together, but I have to ask you this,, how many ladies go missing in California every year??? Do you think that stops tourists from visiting your country or State? No, of course not, there are bad people everywhere, but good people way outnumber them !! So short answer , you are safe but watch your stuff. Don't let strangers approach you to "sign a petition"( they often pretend to be deaf etc) , don't accpect a "gift" from a stranger ( read about ring scam) just learn to ignore people who approach you .. and you will be fine,, really.

Posted by
2367 posts

I have only twice in Europe felt unsafe and just went with my gut reaction and left the area we were walking to, the same advice I would use anywhere else. Truly felt safe in most if not all places in Europe.

Posted by
638 posts

In London, look right, not left when getting ready to cross the street.

Posted by
11294 posts

Barry is not kidding. You'll see once you get to London - I was almost run over more than once. Similarly, watch out for the bicycles in Amsterdam, and stay out of bike lanes anywhere (they WILL run you down). And on escalators, stand on the right, and walk on the left, particularly in London. If you stand on the left, you'll see "British reserve" replaced by lethal force, as people knock you over to pass you. The areas of Paris, London, and Amsterdam that tourists want to visit are basically safe. Of course, if you are seeking trouble, you'll find it. But even the Red Light District in Amsterdam is more seedy and gross than dangerous. Do make sure that no valuables are easy to steal. Backpacks are easily opened on crowded metros and streets, and things put down for "just a second" can be snatched when your back is turned. Whether to take your passport with you in a moneybelt or to leave it in the hotel is a matter of some controversy, but what is not argued is that these are the only two places it should be - not in a purse, backpack, etc. Of course, you use common sense. If it's late at night, and/or you are tired or intoxicated, take a cab back. If an area makes you uncomfortable, leave (no matter what a guidebook says about it). You are particularly vulnerable to theft when you are freshly arrived in a new city, burdened with your luggage, often tired by the journey and unfamiliar with your new surroundings. At these times, a cab can be a worthwhile. Once your luggage is stashed and you've got your bearings, mass transit (or walking) works great. As you can see, these safety warnings have very little to do with what Americans usually worry about (being raped, shot, etc). That's because what I outlined above are common problems; violent crime against tourists is not.

Posted by
331 posts

I travelled with my husband and my daughters (13+14) for 5 weeks around Europe by train, bus and on foot and never had any problems. We wandered all over Paris , visited the Red Light District in Amsterdam (daytime) and were perfectly comfortable the whole time.We all wore money belts (the ricksteves ones are softer and more comfy than the other brands) and left All the jewelry at home. If you check out the Graffiti wall here on the site and look under SAFETY at the "Tourist Scam Alert" there is tons of info on what you Might experience. Just be aware, just like at home.

Posted by
638 posts

Regarding what Sylvia said about the Amsterdam Red Light District, yes, it is safe but do not under any circumstances attempt to take of photos of the ladies in the windows, that is NOT a safe thing to do!

Posted by
9110 posts

Amen to what Keith said about looking both ways ALL the time. I've seen several people almost clobbered by being very semi-sophisticated by smugly looking in the 'British' direction and almost getting knocked ass over tea kettle.

Posted by
375 posts

I agree with other posters that violent crime is statistically less likely to happen where you are going than in many large cities in America. It does happen, though, and if you are the one it happens to, you won't care what the statistics said. For you, it would be 100%. I am a small woman, completely nonthreatening to anyone and pretty anonymous looking. But once when I was minding my own business walking in a nice area of London a man deliberately rushed at me and knocked me down, then balled up his fists to hit me before someone intervened. It was completely unprovoked. I can only conclude that he was some kind of lunatic, and that this sort of thing could happen anywhere and had nothing to do with me or my nationality. I'm not bringing it up to frighten anyone, but just to say that you should not be so caught up in looking at the sites that you forget to be aware of other people around you and what they are doing.

Posted by
3941 posts

Also in London/UK with regards to crossing the street...(this is what my sis who lives in UK tells me) - drivers 'have' to stop for you at the 'zebra crossings' (which seem to me to be marked with lights as well?) but not at a traditional looking crosswalk as we have in NA at street corners and such. Again...like at home, make sure people stop - make eye contact...and watch for scooters and bikes (in Paris especially) - they seem to like to zoom around and between vehicles...(when visiting last year, she told us of a guy around the corner on a scooter who was trying to pass around a car and got clocked)...and yeah - in France (or anywhere) be careful in regards to the bike lanes :). Be on your toes!

Posted by
3941 posts

Oh yeah Pat - you reminded me about the 'deaf and dumb' girls in Avignon who were neither deaf nor dumb, but pretty insistent (to no avail)...and the 'pls sign our drug petition and oh btw a donation would be nice' people in Florence and Venice...just shake your head and keep walking, and the Canadians we were talking to in Paris who got taken in by the 'gold ring' scam...I think the graffiti wall has a pretty good showing of scams to watch out for...read up and keep alert...they aren't anything that will harm you, but you can lose some euros if you aren't vigilant.