Please sign in to post.

Ryan Air

Hi just curious if Ryan Air has provision for checked luggage. Just booked flights from Cork to London, and are hoping to carry on luggage. We have the 21" suitcases but I'm not sure if they will pass.
Thanks for the input!

Posted by
11 posts

Check their web site, Ryan Air has very strict carry-on rules. One carry-on only and must weight 10kg or less.

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks I will check. If the bags are over the limit you should be able to check them, am I right?

Posted by
19237 posts

I think the price if you arrange online to "check" them is one price, and the price if you wait until you are at the airport is higher.

Posted by
1806 posts

Lee is correct. The price is higher if you decide to check luggage at the last minute. And the weight limit is strictly enforced at 10KG for a carry-on. RyanAir also will charge more for checked bags during peak season (July/August), and if your checked bag weighs more than 15KG, you'll have to pay an excess baggage weight fee on top of the checked bag fee. All baggage requirements, including dimensions, weights and fees are very clearly outlined on their website. Read the fine print ahead of time so you can plan accordingly and you aren't surprised when you get to the airport.

Posted by
9369 posts

If you have already booked your flights it's too late to arrange for checking a bag at the lower fee. They don't allow changes once the purchase is complete. Check their website for information about how much it will cost to check your bag at the airport. Oh, and be prepared to stand in the check-in line, then be sent to another area to pay to check your bag, then return to the check-in line to complete the process.

Posted by
4 posts

Wow. I guess we messed up when booking our flights. Thanks for the heads up and lesson learned.

Posted by
4555 posts

I think that if you go to the "Manage my booking" tab on the main page, you should still be able to check your bags for the same fee as when you booked your ticket. Where they REALLY hit you is if checking involves a human.....thru the call center or at the airport. Also, remember there is a deadline for checking in on line...and you'll pay a huge fee to check in at the airport. There was a post recently about someone who missed the on-line check-in deadline by 2 minutes.

Posted by
2876 posts

Ryanair will check your bags if necessary. Limit of 2 checked bags per passenger. There is a hefty basic charge per checked bag, even higher in July & August.

Where they really hit you is if you go over their weight limit of 15 Kg per bag. We paid over 90 British pounds in "excess baggage fees" in Edinburgh last year, for two normal Rick Steves - sized bags.

Their advertised ticket prices of 5 or 10 British pounds per ticket are little more than a come-on, in my opinion.

Posted by
408 posts

We just flew RA yesterday, so the experience is freshly burned in. ;-}

One no-more-than 10kg carry-on. And that does mean ONE ... no "free" second item such as a purse or camera. The carry-on must also fit into their 'tester rack" at the check-in desk.

The checked item limit is 15kg. There is usually an available scale at one of the inactive check-in desks (often an EasyJet counter) where you can verify (and juggle, as needed) your bag weights.

If you are a US (non-EU) person, there is an additional step -- a counter where your identity is checked.

Do show up with your printed boarding passes, or it's another hefty fee (fine).

Posted by
676 posts

Tom, Ryanair's cheap fares are truly that, except with a 10 euro administration fee, which they don't advertise. SO in that case their cheap advertised fares are a come on. But I got tickets to London in a couple weeks for 8 euros each way, + 10 euro admin fee=26 euros. Excellent fare I think, even tho Ryanair sometimes leaves something to be desired. I also got a 2 euro fare going from Frankfurt-Hahn to Pula, Croatia.