Please sign in to post.

Running in Europe

Hi! I am in the middle of planning a trip to London, Brussels, Amsterdam, and Paris. I'm one of those crazy people who loves to get up early on vacation mornings to go running in a new place! But I've only been to Italy, and our tour schedule was SOOOO tight I had zero running time on that trip. I'm going to build some in to this (non-tour) trip.

I'm just wondering...is running OK to do in those countries? Like—would I culturally be offending anyone? Would it be safe? (No one else I'm traveling with is a runner.) What about through parks/monuments etc? (For example, our hotel in London is near St. George's Gardens.)

Any suggestions for running in Europe would be appreciated. Thanks!

Posted by
16469 posts

We are in London now and see lots of runners, especially on the Thames Path (where we run ourselves) and in the parks. Some paths need to be avoided at mid-day when they are crowded.

I would not run in St. George's Gardens as it is a burial site. But Regent's Park is close by and a great spot for running. On the north side you can access the Regents Canal Path, which would be nice early in the morning---watch out for cyclists.

Posted by
6113 posts

I am perplexed as to why you think that running would offend anyone?! There are plenty of parks or tracks in all your locations suitable for joggers, but some of these are shared with cyclists, so take care. Also remember when running across roads in London that the traffic will be on the opposite side of the road to what you are used to.

Try not to run on narrow pavements when these are busy with commuters ie 8 to 9.30 am. You don't say when you are travelling, but I assume it isn't winter, when it will be dark and cold in the mornings.

Posted by
9 posts

Thanks for the replies! Jennifer, I was hesitant just because it's an environment I've not been in before. Can't wait to hit some European sidewalk!

Posted by
8744 posts

Not a runner but the lovely thing about many European Cities are their large parks.

In London I always see runners in Hyde, Green, St James and Regents parks. Also seen them along the Thames path, running over the bridges ( Tower, Millinieum, Blackfriars).

In Paris run along the sidewalks boardering the Siene and into to the park where the Eiffel Tower stands.

Running clubs are in all the cities you've mentioned. Do an internet search and you'll discover routes in each capital.

Just remember in London traffic flows the opposite way than you are accustomed to. Crossing with the lights is a MUST, otherwise by looking the wrong way you could become a sad statistic. Where a bright orange, yellow or lime green top just to b certain you are visible.

And as you've pointed out its not an environment you've been in before Best not to use head phones. Stay focused in your surroundings for bicyclists, horses, scooters, skateboarders, dog walkers, etc.

Have a great time!

Posted by
1227 posts

It has been many years since I have been in Amsterdam. I recall the biggest hazard for morning runners was the piles of steaming dog poop everywhere. Is it still a problem?

Posted by
389 posts

It does seem to me jogging is more 'appropriate'/'the done thing' in parks and riverside paths than in historic city center streets. I remember coming into the center of Florence early one morning and seeing an American girl jogging by; she did look a bit out of place. Not that anyone really cared though. I get the sense that especially for French and Italian women, who are socialized to be very fashion conscious, appearing out in public in athletic gear is not something they ever want to do (outside of a gym or dedicated sports complex that is). Maybe more common in parts of northern Europe.