Please sign in to post.

RS Convertible Carry On

I'm looking at the pic and the description but I can't see if there are extra straps. Does it have a waist strap (& is it padded?) or a chest strap that connects the shoulder straps? I'm comparing it to the MotherLode TLS Weekender Convertible (much more modern color palette to choose from) but I can see that its straps are not padded.
Are these bags comfortable to wear?

Posted by
10548 posts

There is a padded waist strap. I have only used mine on a trip to NYC a couple of months ago, so I don't know how it will be on an extended trip, but I found it to be comfortable. It holds a lot, and that is without expanding it. The one thing I took away from using it on that trip was that I must pack much lighter...

If you have a place locally where you can try one on for size, so to speak, you might want to do that.

Posted by
989 posts

Thanks for your comment.I think the padded waist strap will be good to have. I haven't carried a HEAVY backpack much since I used a baby back pack in the early 90s, so I think my back will need all the support it can get.

Posted by
10548 posts

I just used mine at the airport, so I didn't use the waist belt. When I tried it on with the belt it did make a big difference. I just injured my back (not a result of carrying the bag ;)) so I am concerned that I may have problems on my upcoming 4 weeks in Italy and Germany. I will wait until it gets closer, but I may end up taking my roller bag.

Posted by
97 posts

My wife and I ( both over 60) carried our RS Convertible throughout Western Europe for over a month last summer. After our first few days, we shipped almost 10 kg of excess stuff home. The bags were a lot lighter then. 8-) There was no problem carrying them anywhere and they felt quite comfortable.

It goes without saying we will be packing lighter next summer when we go again.

Posted by
251 posts

Yes, the bag does have the waist strap, but not a chest strap (to connect the shoulder straps). Go to the 'Travel Store' link on this website and click on the 'Convertible Carry-On', then click on the link right below the picture of the bag that says 'See Product Detail'. This gives you a few images of the bag and the straps to use in Convertible mode. Keep in mind that the bag also includes a single shoulder strap to use when you're using the back as a suitcase.

In terms of comfort, I find the bag very comfortable to carry, which makes getting around that much easier.

Enjoy your travels!

Posted by
989 posts

Thanks for you comments - they are very helful. I took a 28" rolling bag last time and I am determined to NOT do that again. Unfortunately, this time I'm going a Xmas and clothes will be bulkier....but hopefully I'll figure it out.

Posted by
104 posts

I have the Weekender Convertible, and the waistbelt is comfortable on it even though it isn't padded. The place where the greatest stress is on the belt is in the front, and no belts are padded there :-). I was dubious about the Weekender one, but it's fine. Ebags has free return shipping, so if you have time, you can try it out or compare them for yourself and send it back if you don't like it. I think it's a really nice bag for the money, but I'm sure the RS bag is nice too, and it's a similar price now.

Posted by
10548 posts

Elaine, for your bulky winter clothes you can use compression bags. Also, use silk or lightweight thermals so your clothing does not have to be so heavy. Wear your heaviest jacket and shoes on the plane. We traveled for two weeks in the winter with only carry on.

Posted by
136 posts

I second the info on the silk and high-tech long underwear. We did Antarctica with layers (up to 4 including outerwear) and were comfortable. 1. silk 2. tech long 3. pants 4. overwear as necessary. Same on top. Also, if you get cold the $1.00 chemical hand and foot warmers are great.

Posted by
441 posts

Elaine, so much of European hotels, subways etc. don't have elevators that I find a convertible suitcase easier to use. It's also lighter. A rolling suitcase hurts my back more because, to pull it, I get kinda "twisted" and the pain gets worse if there's any resistance to my pulling, such as a gravel parking lot or driveway.

Posted by
32324 posts

Elaine,

The newer version of the RS Convertible Carry On does have a Waist Belt, however this may or may not be a useful feature for you.

The main purpost of a waist belt is to allow the majority of weight to rest on the hips, not the shoulders. A Pack that is properly fitted for torso length (which is not the same as height, and varies with each person) will accomplish that.

Another point about that particular Pack is that it lacks an internal frame, which tends to maintain the pack shape to some extent.

My suggestion would be to examine a variety of Packs. If there's an REI or other store in your area, go and try some on with them fully loaded.

You'll also have to give some thought on whether you want a panel load pack (with zippers) as opposed to a top loading pack (usually with a drawstring at top). Also are features such as a detachable Daypack or "stowable" harness (harness is stowed behind a panel during air travel, to prevent straps from being torn off by baggage handling equipment) important to you?

In addition to RS, you could look at Eagle Creek or Osprey packs. I'm currently travelling with a panel loading pack from one of those manufacturers, and the main pack is fairly well loaded (as is the Daypack). If I have to carry it more than a short distance, I always use the waist belt as it makes a big difference in comfort.

I walked to the Hotel at the last stop, and although it was a bit of a burden, it was manageable. My trip this year required some extra gear, but like Kent mentioned, I'll also be packing MUCH lighter next year.

Good luck with your choice and happy travels!

Posted by
10548 posts

One thing that helps the RS bag maintain its shape is using packing cubes. I already owned the RS cubes before I bought my convertible bag. One large and two small fit the bag perfectly.

Posted by
12313 posts

I have the ebags weekender convertible. It has nicely padded shoulder straps plus a waist strap and chest strap (that aren't padded). I rarely use the extra straps because I usually only pack my bag a mile or less. My most typical configuration is to use one of the shoulder straps and carry it more like a sling bag (over one shoulder), leaving the other straps stowed in the storage pocket.

I just found out last week I can take the chest straps off (they snap on) so I'll lose them for my next trip and save an ounce or two. I weighed my bag before last week's business trip and it came in just over 15 pounds.

Posted by
78 posts

I just purchased my second Ebags weekender convertible. Last week they were on sale for $49 with free shipping.
This is a great bag of very ggod quality.