Please sign in to post.

RS 2013 Tours

Hello all.... My wife and I have decided to celebrate our 25th anniversary with a RS tour. Being something of a fanatical planner I am curious if anyone can estimate when the 2013 RS tour selection/dates will be made available? thanks in advance........carl

Posted by
8 posts

Thanks Grier....I guess I should finish planning our 2012 vacation first! carl

Posted by
528 posts

You could try emailing them. I did that when I was planning my first tour.

Posted by
32222 posts

Carl, As Grier mentioned, the 2013 tours will probably be announced in about Sept. or Oct. Which tour are you considering? If you have some free time in mid-January 2013 and your budget will allow, you might consider attending the annual "Test Drive A Tour Guide" events in Edmonds. FREE presentations are offered on all the tours, usually by the Guides that lead those tours (Rick flies 70 or so of his Guides in from Europe for the occasion). When you decide which one you want to take, you can book it on the spot at ETBD headquarters (there's usually a "financial incentive" for booking that day). Also, if you need any travel supplies, everything in the travel store is discounted that day (usually 20%). Cheers!

Posted by
8 posts

Ken, Thanks... I'm considering the Europe in 21 Days tour. My wife on the other hand is thinking about the Europe in 14 Days tour. Since it is an anniversary trip I'm really thinking we should travel together so maybe I'll compromise (I know...I'm a hopeless romantic!). Neither of us have been to Europe so either of these tours appeal to us as a broad intro to the continent. Not sure I can make it to the Pacific NW in January but it looks like a great event. hmmmmm........ carl

Posted by
32222 posts

Carl, Either of those tours would be excellent! The "flagship" 21-day tour would of course cover a bit more, but if your budget will allow that's the one I'd take. Have you ordered the free Tour DVD yet? If you order the 2012 Tour Catalogue, that will be provided. The material on the DVD is a bit "dated", but it will give you a good idea what to expect. I've suggested that it might be time for a "newer" version, but so far they haven't chosen to do that. Once you've taken the tour, you'll probably become like many of us here - "Rick Steves Tour-Aholics". I'll be embarking on my sixth tour this year, and really looking forward to it! Hopefully I'll be able to take many more. Once you decide on a tour, the very knowledgeable group here will be able to help with the details. Congratulations on your anniversary!

Posted by
8 posts

Ken, Thanks! And, yup, we have the 2012 catalog and have watched the DVD. Looks good to me! carl

Posted by
11507 posts

Carl if you wife talks you into the 14 day tour instead of the 21 day tour I bet she will be very regretful on the last day of the shorter tour!!
I will also suggest when you look at what you pay for airfare it makes sense to stay as long as you can, and to arrive a full day in advance of tour( in case plane is late or postponed or luggage is lost, and just to get over jet lag) Plus look at the places you are missing by not taking the 21 day tour! I have only done the 14 day Family Europeon tour , and I really really wish there had been an option for a 21 day Family tour it was great fun and so relaxing really .

Posted by
8 posts

Hi Pat, Thanks... I agree with all of your points. I will be employing all of my masculine wiles (is there such a thing?!) to convince my wife of same. She is the thrifty sort so the airline cost per day of travel angle might just bring her around..... carl

Posted by
101 posts

Hi Carl,
Our 1st ETBD tour was the 21 day Best of Europe. This was after we followed Rick's book on our own tour, not knowing anything about him. Returning home we saw him on PBS and realized how much we had missed on our own. We try not to compare his tours, they are all so different; but for us the B. O. Europe was really special. Do the 21 day if possible, and allow xtra days before. We leave this week on our 10th ETBD tour. Enjoy your Tour!!!

Posted by
101 posts

Hi Carl,
Our 1st ETBD tour was the 21 day Best of Europe. This was after we followed Rick's book on our own tour, not knowing anything about him. Returning home we saw him on PBS and realized how much we had missed on our own. We try not to compare his tours, they are all so different; but for us the B. O. Europe was really special. Do the 21 day if possible, and allow xtra days before. We leave this week on our 10th ETBD tour. Enjoy your Tour!!!

Posted by
8 posts

Thanks Andy... Doing an organized tour will be a big change for us. I've always enjoyed planning/executing our vacations but this time I'm ready to let someone else sweat the details for us. Rather than concerning ourselves with itinerary/lodging/transport logistics I figure we can spend our pre-trip time reading up on the history and culture of destinations. And, of course, once we are there we can focus on enjoying the hell out of ourselves! Have a great trip! carl

Posted by
13 posts

I actually called the Rick Steves office to ask this question and they told me probably in mid August the 2013 tours would be out. Just keep checking in!

Posted by
1318 posts

Right, had an e-mail from the office saying the 2013 tour schedule will be out in mid-August. Also, ETBD will offer some tours in the off season for the first time, January and February dates. I think there will be interest in the winter dates as the prices are discounted significantly.

Posted by
1 posts

The Rick Steves folks told us the new tours would come out in August. I am not certain when in August but I assume it should be soon. We too are trying to plan for next summer already (free airline tickets, etc.). Good luck with your planning.

Posted by
1318 posts

The 2013 tours dates are now available - click on the Tours tab.

Posted by
143 posts

Good advice here, as usual. Man -- 25 years! I think I'd go for the longer trip. When you get home after taking the shorter tour, you may regret missing out on the extra time. But, if you go on the longer tour, I doubt seriously if you'll regret the extra money you spent. Just think -- with the set airfare cost, the price per day will actually go down -- you'll be SAVING money! (pose to your wife like a shoe sale! :-) Best wishes to you both!

Posted by
32222 posts

I agree with Ross - your 25th is a very special occasion, so may as well celebrate in style. As Grier mentioned, all the 2013 tours are now shown on the website. Contact ETBD when the printed copy is available, and request a copy of the new Tour DVD. That will give you a good idea what the tours are like. Happy Browsing!!

Posted by
8 posts

Thanks to all for the updates! Now that our 2012 summer trip is behind us (Quebec City and Ottawa, btw) it's time for us to focus on the 2013 biggie. Ok, it's time for ME to focus on it. My teaching wife is focusing on her looming return to the classroom...poor kid! I've requested the updated DVD and catalog. I'm also well on my way to convincing her that a 3 week tour is FAR more economical. Now I just need to work on her packing skills. As we say here in NJ: "oooofah....." best.......carl