Please sign in to post.

River cruising

Lot's of times, on PBS, I'll see brief ads for Viking River cruises. Ever tried one?
Are they any different than big cruise ships? I did one cruise in my life and felt like I was trapped on a floating shopping mall.

Posted by
23546 posts

You were on the wrong ship. We have done about a dozen ocean cruises with seven in Europe. We also consider them a very convenient and economical way to see a lot of Europe. River cruises are very different. Ships are much smaller - no shopping malls, dock at much smaller cities, only 100 to 200 passengers - and a very different experience. We are doing our first Viking cruise next month so will report back in Oct.

Posted by
6713 posts

Frank's right, they're quite different. Of course the ships are much smaller. There might be a small gift shop, a jacuzzi-size pool and deck chairs on the upper deck, a bar and lounge below, a small fitness room and/or massage place, and of course a dining room. A range of cabins, but all with at least a small window since the boat is narrow. Usually three decks, maybe an elevator. Beer and wine commonly included with meals. Introductory walking tours of cities usually included in the fare. We took a cruise from Budapest to Passau and enjoyed it very much, but I don't think we'll be doing more. They're an comfortable and very expensive way to see parts of Europe. For us, they didn't allow enough time to really appreciate places like Budapest and Vienna. And parts of the rivers are quite scenic, while other parts not at all (they try to go through the unattractive stretches at night).

Viking advertises endlessly on PBS, particularly on a certain travel expert's show, but it's by no means the only provider of good cruises in Europe. We had a great time with Luftner Cruises, given the caveats above. Google can help you find others that are likely less expensive than Viking and where your fellow passengers won't all be Americans. The chance to interact with European fellow-cruisers can be one of the greatest advantages of this experience. No knock on Viking, I haven't tried them (and probably won't) but friends have enjoyed them, and they deserve credit for helping PBS, but my impression is that they serve mainly Americans.

Posted by
8818 posts

jaesbow, check out cruise critic.com. Its a bit hard to navigate (no pun intended), but you can find tons of customer reviews including river cruises there.

Posted by
489 posts

River cruising is different from big ship cruising on so many levels... The only commonality is that it is a ship on water. Last year at this time we were on the Baltic doing my first big ship cruise (which many said was a "smallest" ship) I could not wait to get off the thing... Promotion everywhere to get you to spend more everywhere... The "art auction"???? what a farce! If I ever do a big ship cruise I will just possibly have all my meals in my room. I disliked it completely.
Now for river cruises... we' ve done 2 in the last 3 yrs. NOT on Viking but with Amawaterways. and enjoyed both! The people were great; crew and passengers! Yes, moving down the river is subject to the river levels. If you are looking for a possible river cruise please look at what they have for the options. On our last river cruise (one of the longest.. from Amsterdam to Budapest) we had the most awesome experiences that you would not get doing a land tour. Our company had options for bike tours or culinary tours (no extra fee).
You need to research what is included and what is not for any company. I think like anything you get what you pay for and we have been very satisfied with AMAwaterways... If you want a no brainer, top notch service, and meeting terrific fellow people. We met 8 other couples that we had such a terrific time with and I have never laughed so hard.

Posted by
989 posts

Dick - you are not quite correct on the nationality of passengers on Viking cruises, at least not in my experience.
The cruises cater to English speaking passengers but the Americans onboard have never exceeded 50%, in my experience more like 40%.
In 2009, 2011 and 2014 we travelled with more Brits and Scots than US citizens. There's always been a healthy representation from Canada, Australia and NZ. We've also met other passengers from Israel, Mexico, Colombia, and Denmark.

There has been a huge uptick in marketing in North America over the past 3-4 years so I expect Viking is looking to increase their share of Americans and Canadians.

Posted by
14761 posts

A friend of mine and hubby took a river cruise going from Passau to Budapest (?) sometime in the last ten years. I forgot with which company the cruise was. It was in the winter or spring, since the photos she showed me all had other passengers with their thick coats on. I asked about the passengers' nationality. They were all German. Price wise she asserted that it was a pretty good deal.

Posted by
178 posts

A good place for river cruise discussion is at cruise critic.

Posted by
7209 posts

Watch Europe go by from the comfort of your own bed...

Posted by
911 posts

We've only done river cruises and can't imagine ever taking a big ship cruise. Two with Tauck and a third booked. Obvious differences are size, number of passengers, no sea sickness, fewer on board activities beside food and drink. The focus is on the land tours. Since that is Tauck's primary business they do it well. If you are interested in seeing the locations, European history, art, churches, museums it's great. Because your "hotel" goes with you, there is some freedom to stay on board and chill out or go with the group on whatever tour is planned for the day. We particularly liked the Rhone since most of the stops the ship was docked close enough to walk to the prime touring areas - little bus time compared to the Rhine & Moselle. It made the time on our own more enjoyable. Dress codes are generally nice, but relaxed. There's no elite clubs with dining rooms set only for some passengers.

If you want to book a tour, look at the different rivers for which locations most interest you. Then look at the different cruise lines but not just price. What is included (tips, alcohol, extra excursions, airport transfers, etc). What amenities are provided on the ship and in the stateroom. We like to be in the middle or top deck, but don't worry much about a balcony. There is little time in the schedule to actually use one and you may not have a view. Depends on whether there is another ship moored next to yours.

Posted by
19232 posts

I've never done a river cruise (not an ocean cruise. either) but I have planned and taken a lot of trips to Europe on my own, and I am on the mailing list for Viking. I see their prices, and I am appalled. To me, any organized tour in Europe is a big waste of money. You are paying someone else royally to plan what you could so easily do yourself. And this applies doubly to the river cruise. I can probably travel in Europe for 1/10th of what these river cruises charge. So, if you just have too much money and want to give it away, go ahead, but it's not for me.

Posted by
212 posts

I have traveled to Europe probably 18 times in the last 20 years, each time for a period of 2 to 4 weeks. We planned each trip on our own, with help here, on TA and from guidebooks. Except for a Viking cruise 3 years ago. People talk about how expensive it is and how much cheaper they can do it. Good for them. Our Viking cruise, from Budapest to Passau, cost us $1800 each airfare included in the middle range of cabins for a room of about 200 sq feet with a French balcony. With Viking's help we were able to arrange our flights (did I mention the airfare was free from Boston) to include a 5 night layover in London (actually, we paid $50 each as I recall to have the ability to chose the flights that Viking then arranged for us) We traveled with two other couples and it was terrific.

Departing from Budapest at night from our docking at the Chain Bridge, with all of Budapest, lit up, receding behind us, from the very comfortable sun deck on the top of the ship surrounded by many of our fellow travelers was a hell of a way to start any trip. Never having to unpack for 7 nights while being in a different city every morning was a deeply heartening experience. Having a bus, arranged by someone who was not me, waiting to take us on an highlights intro tour (think Ho-Ho bus) of the city led by a local guide in each city was great. The tours ended in the city center every day and you could return to the boat then, but we never did. We stayed on in each place, on our own, armed with great and helpful advice from the Viking staff, and did our own thing. Sometimes, if we were tired, we returned to the boat for drinks on the deck and dinner on the ship. Sometimes we remained in town, eating at local places suggested by the staff.

In fairness, it is a sort of inch deep, mile wide introduction to a place, . You have only 1 day. If you do a lot of your own research you can see a lot. If you go with the flow, you will get only a taste of the place. But the planning is done, the transportation is organized, the rooms are comfortable. The food is fine, the people are lovely and you NEVER have to check out, get to the next place and check back in.

Would I do one a year? No. Would I choose to repeat my mode of travel ...river cruise, Rick Steves' tour, walking tour...every year? No. The 6 of us had a great time. We saw and wandered through places we enjoyed (The family of one of us is Slovakian and while we would never plan a whole trip based on getting to Bratislava, being there for 20 hours was pretty special for him)

There are may ways to travel the world. It behooves us not to be dismissive of people who do it differently than we do. There is no moral high ground in travel, there is only what suits your needs.

Posted by
2393 posts

I love cruising...but would never in Europe! Too little time at each place - even for me! We'd just be settling in for wine o'clock and it would be time to rush back to the ship! and yes...Viking is VERY proud of their river cruises 😲

Posted by
23546 posts

Really not sure what that quote is suppose to add to the discussion. For some reason there is a generic bashing of cruising by some people on this site. I really don't understand why. It simply is another mode of travel that some find very attractive for a host of valid reasons. There are big boats, little boats, and boats in between. Some leave port early and some leave late and some overnight in the port. It just depends on the cruises line and where they are going. It is impossible to paint cruises with a broad brush. Each has it own appeal along with advantages and disadvantages. Remember there are some equal huge disadvantages when traveling via train or car. You don't have to like cruising but if you haven't been on a cruise it is difficult for you to relate your cruising experiences.

Posted by
4139 posts

I agree with Frank, our differences are what makes the world interesting. We have done both European cruising and self planned trips. Have yet to be on a tour, but I don't knock them. Sometimes on a cruise you visit places you wouldn't get to on your own.. Such as our Baltic cruise, 2 days in St. Petersburg, without visa hassle. Probably would never had made it there on our own. To personalize it a bit, we do hire private guides in most ports or just walk around on by ourselves. We did that in Guersney and had a fabulous day. Another place we probably would never have visited.

Posted by
14761 posts

The river cruise is more to my interest, if at all. particularly the cruise on the Elbe and especially that on the Oder. That Oder cruise I would find culturally and historically more than interesting.

Posted by
989 posts

Generally Rick Steves tours are more expensive than river cruises. If you book early enough they are usually available at a heavy discount: 40 - 50 %. Or 2 for 1. Airfares can also be heavily discounted. You just have to plan ahead.
If a cruise isn't your cup of tea and you've never been on one, then you really have nothing to contribute to the OPs question.

Posted by
672 posts

The cruise prices are "2 for 1" in every brochure that Viking mails us, which is about every 2 weeks it seems! However, the real bargain, which a friend of ours recently took advantage of, is to wait until close to the cruise date, when there are still unsold rooms and Viking is offering them at a really deep discount. I think her travel agent got the deal. Of course, there is the trade-off of having to be flexible, and having to obtain air tickets last minute, although Viking offers air tickets as part of the package.

Posted by
23 posts

Kate, I really like your last paragraph! There are as many ways to travel as there are places to explore. We often say we're glad everyone doesn't want to go the same place, same time, same way! After planning all our international and US travels on our own, we're taking a Viking cruise from Budapest to Passau in October, and while I am sure there will be times I miss the freedom of my own agenda, I am also looking forward to those advantages you mentioned. We've also added a week on our own in Slovenia, a few extra days in Budapest, and our own trip to Prague after the cruise. No trip has to be all of one thing!

Posted by
989 posts

Sharon. That sounds like a wonderful trip. You will enjoy the cruise, I guarantee it.
I did my first river cruise up the Rhine against my will, but ended up really enjoying it. Enough that I did Nuremberg to Budapest and Moscow to St Petersburg in subsequent trips.

Posted by
489 posts

Just remember you get what you pay for.... When you see the lowest price that is a cabin on the lowest desk with just a window, nothing else. RS tours are very reasonable compared to the nice river cruises out there. You wouldn't catch me on any Viking cruise if they discount to get the ship full. I don't wish to be on a full viking cruise. I only go on Amawaterways and we pay a good bit but we get 5 star treatment and it is the only way to travel on European rivers... We are taking our first RS tour and highly looking forward to it. So will give you a comparison in 4 weeks.

Posted by
1878 posts

My wife and I took a river cruise from Budapest to Nuremburg in 2014 on Avalon. She really wanted to do this, so I went with it. It was pretty expensive, around $5K for seven or eight days for the two of us. We rounded it out with a couple of nights in Budapest, Nuremburg, and Munich each on the ground before and after. It's a very posh luxury experience compared to an ocean cruise (we have usually have sailed Holland America for ocean cruise, sort of a mid-tier line) but maybe only because we don't go on the luxury ocean lines. The service was very, very good, and so was the food. The ship generally docks right in the town center (exception: Nuremburg), and lots of walking tours were included. We got parts of two days in Vienna, which we had been to before on land. You only get to go to places that are right on the river (although there are optional ($) excursions that require getting on a bus. Wine included at dinner was nice. A lot of times the burden of making on the fly decisions falls on me, when we travel independently. My wife does not like to think about the practicalities of travel and it puts a lot of stress on me, so having so much planned for us was somewhat of a relief. Of course you don't get the chance to linger much, and my natural tendency is to want to wring every last bit out of each place. But then again, sometimes having to get on the boat and sail away forces me to not obsess so much. In an odd way it's more carefree to have to let go of a place when it's time to go. Major downside, if the water levels are too high or too low you could end up with a very expensive bus tour, as the boats can't sail. Apparently that happened in 2013 according to some of our fellow passengers.

Posted by
989 posts

And what is wrong with a cabin on the bottom deck with only a window??? You should be in the cabin only to sleep and change clothes.