Please sign in to post.

Riga and Tallinn or Vilnius

Riga and Tallinn or Vilnius

I have the opportunity to go to Riga plus either Tallinn or Vilnius around Christmas time. Which would you choose and why? Thanks.

Posted by
2676 posts

I have been to all 3 of these pace and they all have their merits but if I had to choose I would give the nod to Tallin over Vilinius .I just think it is a much nicer and more compact city compared to Vilnius.Tallin is also more Scandinavian looking rather than central/eastern European.

Posted by
8075 posts

I have been to all three of these wonderful cities. We loved the Baltic countries. They are so proud of their freedom from Soviet domination.

Tallinn would probably be more interesting than Vilnius. However, at Christmas time, I suspect Vilnius, Lithuania being a Catholic country might have more of a christmas celebration than the other two Baltic countries. This is just a guess. Suggest you research just what is going on in those cities during Christmas.

Posted by
8293 posts

I didn't love any of these three cities but Riga has some nice Art Deco architecture.

Posted by
19521 posts

Norma, say it ain't so...... Here's the deal. The plan was Jordan, then my daughter said she wanted to come along, then my wife insisted my daughter come along. Between the cost and my not wanting my daughter in Jordan right now, I had to find a Plan B.

I can fly open jaw into any of the Baltic countries and out of Budapest at very reasonable rates. Riga has nonstop service to Budapest for well under $200; but its the only city in the region that does.

I cant leave until Christmas Day but I need to be home by the 9th. 8 Days in Budapest is a must. I've spent a number of New Years' in Budapest and its great, but time for something else. So (getting too long?), I would fly to a Baltic nation, spend 3 or 4 days then head to Riga for New Year's then fly on to Budapest on New Years' day. This because I cant imagine spending 6 days in Riga waiting for New Years'.

Soooooo, other ideas?

Posted by
7052 posts

How about Gdańsk? Lovely Hanseatic city, although truth be told it would probably be dreary around that time (not unlike your Baltic alternatives). You can visit Malbork Castle on that trip as well - I would highly recommend that side trip, the castle is truly impressive. The main consideration would be obviously Christmas Eve and Christmas closings and cold/dreary weather.
http://www.inyourpocket.com/gdansk

Posted by
2661 posts

I've only been to Tallinn, but have considered a return there and then taking the bus down to Riga and Vilnius--almost went this past trip, but of all people, I know you'll understand why a return to Budapest won out! My father's family is Estonian so I spent a week there in 2013 and found it to be a beautiful and interesting capital city that is not at all overwhelming and hectic. The perfectly preserved old town area is made for wandering, there are museums and the Kadriorg palace to explore and I also took 2 full day trips to out-lying regions with EstAdventures since I don't want to drive abroad. I am a creative person so I was really pleased with the quality of hand-made items to be found. I enjoyed the outdoor living history museum but at Christmas that probably wouldn't be pleasant, even in mid-Sept the weather was turning quite chilly. The Estonians are quite proud of the Singing Revolution, though many remnants of former Soviet occupation remain, including plenty of Russians.

Posted by
19521 posts

Any place I can get a cheap non-stop flight to Budapest from. Christa. Yes, I understand. The cold is pretty much okay. We spent Orthodox Christmas in Moscow one year (-10F) and loved it.

Posted by
8293 posts

" ..... Many remnants of former Soviet occupation remain ...." Yes, indeed, including surliness on the part of those in the tourist industry and a general coolness to strangers by almost everyone our small tour group met.

Posted by
19521 posts

Surliness? That's just a Яussian Cultural norm. Nothing to be offended by. There are cultures that think us idiots because we smile too much.

Posted by
8293 posts

No one ever thinks Canadians smile too much.

Posted by
2661 posts

I found the Estonians to be as friendly as I needed them to be, never a lack of smiles or helpfulness and plenty of English spoken. However, the Russians are a different story, no English there. I tried to ask for confirmation about a bus at a bus stop and the women looked me slowly up and down--not rudely, actually, much like you would if an alien turned up in front of you--and then shrugging and head shaking. I ended up heading to a hotel and attempting to take a cab out to the Rocca al Mare museum--all Russian, who conferred amongst themselves before allowing one to take me. I worried that perhaps a dire fate would befall me, told myself I'd been reading too many Wallender books, and every 5 minutes the driver would say in a reassuring tone, "Rocca al Mare!" It was fine, he did drive directly there and I did catch the bus back to Tallinn.

If you want exceptionally friendly and knowledgeable tour guides, whether around town or further afield, EstAdventures is the one. I spent all day with the owner on one trip--Australian ex-pat married to an Estonian--and it was like being with an old friend.