Please sign in to post.

Rick Steves' Paris Guidebook 2010 vs. 2011

I'm leaving for a week in Paris in 5 weeks, and as far as I can tell the very earliest I might be able to get the Paris 2011 guidebook is on September 14. I live within drivable distance of the Rick Steves' store, so maybe this may help me to get it sooner? I guess I should just call the store. Anyway, my question is, should I just buy the 2010 and look at the online updates, or should I hold out for the 2011? I do have the France 2010 so I can use that in the meantime, though I may have to check for accuracy. Thanks!

Posted by
10344 posts

Yes, you'll get a better answer (re availability of the 2011 edition) by calling Rick's store. * * * ¶ The guides are updated every year, AFAIK, but, assuming you already have your accommodations booked, usually there would just be minor updating of prices. * * * ¶ However, the coverage of Paris in the "Paris" book is significantly greater than the coverage of Paris in the "France" book.

Posted by
23282 posts

We have used guidebooks as much three years old. The prices change but the sightseeing sites, walking tours, etc. do not. For your purposes I would not make the effort to obtain the 11 book.

Posted by
1317 posts

I agree, especially as if you are using the guidebook for any hotel discounts, you will want the 2010 version. Prices are going to change (and can be found online usually) and the only other thing I could see having a big impact would be restaurant recommendations, but again - that information is obtainable online through the updates and sites like tripadvisor. Only exception would be if you are planning to return to Paris next year. Then it might be worthwhile to get 2011 instead. When I went on the RS tour of Rome in December 2007, we received 2008 Rome books, which I then used for a return trip.