Please sign in to post.

Rick's 2013 Kindle Versions

I notice several of the 2013 guides are already out here and elsewhere, but I haven't seen any releases of the e-book versions. Are there plans to release the guidebooks in Kindle/ebook format any time soon?

Posted by
1026 posts

Yes, count me in too! I love to just load everything up on the IPod and go!

Posted by
67 posts

Several of these are already in the stores and available online. I haven't seen ebook release dates otherwise.

Posted by
32322 posts

Heather, A number of the Kindle 2013 E-books have now been released and are available for purchase, along with quite a few of the print versions. You can see which Kindle E-books have been released at: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_19?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=rick+steves+kindle+2013&sprefix=rick+steves+kindle+%2Caps%2C258 For those that are using other E-book versions (iBooks, etc.), check their respective stores. If anyone wants to see when each of the print editions is (or was) released, check THIS website. Cheers!

Posted by
1005 posts

From what I've heard at the Rick Steves HQ, the ebook version always comes out AFTER the print version, and can be delayed by weeks or even months. Not sure if the formatting will be better this year--a lot of the problems have to do with Amazon's file formats.

Posted by
32322 posts

"the ebook version always comes out AFTER the print version" Just to confirm, that is true. The E-books are usually not available until about three months after the print versions have been released. To add to my previous reply, several 2013 E-Books are now available in the iTunes store: > Paris > Rome > Florence & Tuscany > London > Italy > Best of Europe > Europe Through The Back Door > Great Britain I'm sure more will be added soon. I tend to lean towards the Kindle versions, as they're a bit less expensive. I can also use the Kindle books on multiple platforms (iPhone, iPod Touch, PC or MAC), which makes them more versatile. However, I do agree that the formatting and especially the Maps could be improved. Cheers!

Posted by
67 posts

Maybe I'm just unlucky for the German ebook not being out. ;)

Posted by
3050 posts

Here's hoping the 2013 versions are better formatted than previous ones. This is a problem across Kindle, specifically with guidebooks.

Posted by
1 posts

I'm waiting for the Germany 2013 e-book too. I love using the Rick Steves books and audio tours on my tablet while traveling! And, while there are a few formatting problems, they're NOTHING compared to my dreadful experiences with Lonely Planet's Kindle versions. I found them to be frustratingly difficult to use, so I'll stick with Rick!