Please sign in to post.

Retiring in Europe

My husband and I are nearing retirement age and thinking of retiring in Europe. Does anyone have recommendations for ideal locations based on climate, cost of living , healthcare, etc.? We would love to have a home base that would be convenient for travel around all of Europe. Thank you for any suggestions!

Posted by
15180 posts

Best Climate: Mediterranean Countries
Low Cost of Living: Eastern European or Mediterranean Countries (especially Portugal and the Balkan countries)
Best Healthcare: There are lots of rankings with varying results depending on who prepared the ranking. Generally Western European countries perform better than Eastern European ones.

Note: retiring abroad is not as easy as moving to another US State. There are immigration issues to solve, with varying income and other requirements to qualify which vary from country to country. There are a lot of publications and also expats networks that you can consult, once you have decided where to retire. Don't forget also the tax implications of such move. Once you move abroad you will owe taxes in the country where you choose to reside. And if you are a US citizen you still need to file a tax return with the IRS, even if you don't live in the US anymore. The US is one of the few countries that taxes its citizens even after they've left the country. That does not mean that you have to pay double taxes, since there are bilateral agreements the US has with other countries to prevent double taxation, but you still have to file a US tax return even if abroad. The matter is complicated, therefore hiring a tax professional(s) familiar with taxation for US expatriates is important once you move to your country of choice.

Posted by
5386 posts

How do you plan to legally reside in Europe for the long term? I think you need to consider that some countries make residency easier than others. There are a lot of legal hoops to jump through in all countries to become a legal resident and it is not a guarantee that your petition for residency will be approved.

Posted by
10196 posts

Start by applying for a one-year visitor visa in one of the countries. You can build from there. There are many books, websites, and private FaceBook groups devoted to the subject.

You need to be very detailed oriented about tax treaties, healthcare, US accounts which many US firms will close if your address is overseas, the time limit for shipping your own household duty-free, etc. There's a lot to absorb, so it's best to start with a one-year visitor visa. And some people change their minds and return to the US.

Posted by
7672 posts

We lived in Germany for four years while I worked for the US Army and very much enjoyed that experience.

However, I would not want to retire in Europe or anywhere outside the USA.

While living in Germany, we had access to inexpensive groceries and shopping items at our commissary and PX. When we compared what similar or identical items cost on the local economy, the cost would frequently be double or more. Also, housing was very expensive as well. The cost of living would surely be higher in Europe.

The hassle of dealing with paying foreign taxes that probably would exceed what we would pay in the USA would be another reason not to move overseas.

Prior to COVID19, we did 2-3 overseas trips a year and frequented Europe. I have visited 78 countries and can easily do that from the USA. The advantage of living in Europe would be that you didn't need to buy transatlantic air tickets to get there. Not a huge cost, especially when you compare the higher cost of living in Europe.

Also, being separated from family would be unacceptable. We would probably have to fly back to the USA just to see our children and grandchildren. Therefore, what is the benefit?

The language hasn't been a huge issue for us in travel, however, living in Europe, you do have countries were English is not as commonly used by locals. If we lived in Italy and got correspondence in Italian, how do we read it?

Posted by
10196 posts

We own homes in both the US and France. In the US it's a small city under 100,000, while in France we're in the city center of a 500,000 metropolitan area near the Mediterranean. Our cost of living has always been lower in France; right now it's much lower with the dollar so strong.

Posted by
8944 posts

Suggest joining some of the expat FB groups in the countries you are interested in, perhaps Spain, Portugal, or Italy? They have lots of valuable information about costs, health care, homes, etc. that are of the most interest to expats.

Posted by
2267 posts

I have a fully formed plan for exactly this. It sits on a mental shelf, pending being able to break free of some commitments in a few years. Spain is my plan. Some things to consider:

-Visas- What are the options and requirements in the country, and can you meet them?

-Taxes- the US taxes all citizens on worldwide income—most countries have a double taxation treaty with us, but they all work differently.

-Integration- Do you want to actually live there, or just kind of be on a very long, independent vacation? Some towns/cities/countries may be easier than others to meet people and connect with community. And in cultures that are less transient communities may be tightly knit, and feel less welcoming—presenting a challenge. Willingness and/or ability to learn the language plays a LARGE part in this.

-Bureaucracy- How's your patience level/frustration tolerance for dealing with bureaucracy? Because you'll encounter a fair amount as you set up a life in a new country.

-Minimum stay requirements- Maybe a sub-topic of visas, but different visas will require different minimum stays to be able to renew. I haven't heard of anything super restrictive, but it's an important thing to know, understand and track.

Just a few thoughts for y'all to have on the table as you discuss the topic. PM me if you'd like me to share my Spain-specific knowledge on all of this.

Posted by
14510 posts

Aside from all the legal considerations, taxes, bank accounts, health care , Social Security, and all that, I would heartily suggest you start seriously learning the language of the country you decide on. Pound away at the language, make that massively effort. That English maybe spoken wide-spread , etc , say by your potential neighbors, you still need to be able to read in the language, let alone using it in written expression. You don't want to have to rely on your interlocutor's level of English in order for you to communicate.

I know Americans who became ex-pats, they were already fluent in German and French, well versed culturally in the country they chose. Two of them ended up coming back here to CA after trying to live over there as retirees. Whatever the reason they found it too difficult to adjust, basically, couldn't cut it.

On the other hand, the others have absolutely no intention of coming back to the "American way of life" and believe they made the best decision to leave here, do not associate with any American ex-pat groups.

One's capacity to cope, adjust (socially, culturally, linguistically , let alone economically) are all factors to be taken into serious
consideration, if you choose that as a retiree.

Posted by
6113 posts

If you manage to get a long term visa for a country, this gives you the right to reside in that country. You will still be covered by the 90 in 180 day Schengen Zone rules for the rest of Europe.

We are British and have looked at the retirement position post Brexit and we would be significantly worse off from a tax point of view in most European countries. I am currently in France and the supermarket shop is significantly higher than the U.K. for most things other than wine. Petrol and diesel is cheaper in France than the U.K., but it’s more expensive in Portugal than the U.K.

Posted by
4521 posts

You will still be covered by the 90 in 180 day Schengen Zone rules for the rest of Europe.

Are you sure? Doesn't any residency permit grant full Schengen access?

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you all for the valuable insight and information. We definitely have a lot to consider and to research. I appreciate all of your suggestions and advice!

Posted by
6402 posts

Are you sure? Doesn't any residency permit grant full Schengen access?

A residence permit give you the right to live in the country that has issued it. Freedom of movement is for EU citizens.

E.g.:

What if you do not have the nationality of a Schengen country but do
have a valid Dutch residence permit? Then you are allowed to be in all
countries of the Schengen Area for up to 90 days within a 180-day
period.

https://ind.nl/en/travelling-within-the-schengen-area-with-a-residence-permit-or-visa

Posted by
4521 posts

Then you are allowed to be in all countries of the Schengen Area for up to 90 days within a 180-day period.

I see. Buying Maltese residency but living full time in France instead is not allowed and it wouldn’t work. Living in Malta for 8 months and summering in Sweden for 4 consecutive months is not allowed either, but a scenario like that is really on the honor system.

Posted by
312 posts

What is the basis for your decision to retire in Europe? Is it economic or lifestyle? Are you a US citizen:? What kind of assets do you have to support any type of lifestyle? Are you financially independent or will be living on the edge hoping everything works out? How will you weather currency fluctuation, inflation, taxes? How will you get your money out of the US (If you are a US citizen) without tax consequence? You cannot use a European address and still expect to have a US based bank or brokerage account. There are more questions than answers to your post here from a financial planning point of view. To ask this question of a discussion board is water cooler advice at best. I suggest you consult your tax advisor and financial advisor to help you navigate this question based on your situation.

Posted by
17929 posts

a1 I bought a flat in Budapest about 20 years ago and retiring there never crossed my mind until about 5 years ago, now it crosses my mind every day.
a2 First don't sweat the technicalities; each can be overcome and it isn't hard with a little professional help, so think about where (and there are a lot of myths, like you cant open a bank account, or taxes are an issue).
a3 Dont draw any false assumptions about weather; Budapest for instance is absolutely cold .... and absolutely magical in the winter; its the summer that can be unpleasant.
a4 If budget is part of the reason, Eastern Europe can be the ticket; there are actually places in Europe that are more expensive than a lot of the US but here is a link where you can create some comparisons: https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=United+States&country2=Hungary&city1=Dallas%2C+TX&city2=Budapest&tracking=getDispatchComparison
a5 Health Care is probably a crap shoot; in Hungary the national system is about as good as Medicare in the US; but the private providers are outstanding and sometimes its cheaper for me to use them than use my insurance in the US (and the service is better); now I have mirrored all my US doctors with Hungarian doctors and all things being equal I get things done in Hungary for the service alone.
a6 My advice is pick a couple of places, take an extended trip to each, live in the economy and talk to locals and expats.

Posted by
17929 posts

b1 If touring Europe during retirement is a big deal, look for a city with a discount airline hub (Budapest has Wizzair which covers most of Europe for under $100, but there are other good hubs as well ... i presume)
b2 Be sure to do the research on topics that concern you; my son is currently living in a Western European country and he cant wait to get out as being "brown" he is made to feel a bit unwelcome; in Hungary with one of the most insane leaders he feels right at home so dont confuse people with governments but you do want stable.
b3 If you have about $500,000 to "invest" you can buy Golden Visas in a half dozen countries (residency in exchange for local investment)
b4 for those extended stays I suggested, you can spend a month in each of three locations then get out before the schengen visa period ends; but getting out might mean trying a few non-schengen countries (AirBnb's can be fairly cheap by the month)
b5 Here are a few sources for information
https://www.expatnetwork.com/expat-living/
https://www.internationalcitizens.com/blog/newsletters/
https://www.expatfocus.com/newsletter
https://expatfinancial.com/newsletter/
b5 If you do find an interest in Budapest, I might be able to help, but there are better places for everyone but me.

Posted by
15018 posts

You cannot use a European address and still expect to have a US based bank or brokerage account.

This isn't a problem. South Dakota allows you to set up residency with nothing more than a private mail box. Their law was originally for those who traveled full time and lived in RV's, but it encompasses anyone without a permanent residence in the USA. People living outside the country who need a U.S. address can utilize this. It's legal, you can get a drivers license, register to vote, get insurance, etc. And no state income tax. Banks and brokerage firms don't have a problem with it. Neither does the U.S. governement.

I do this.

I'm looking into moving overseas. The problem I face is where I want to be doesn't offer retirement visas. And I don't qualify for work or family visas.

Posted by
10196 posts

99.9% correct Frank ll. Very often in one of the closed FB groups I belong to for overseas Americans, people post that they have received a letter that their investment account has to be closed because they are overseas residents. Others state that they can keep their accounts but can’t invest, only withdraw. Are they using a virtual mailbox service? Probably not, but it’s one of many, many things to explore.

Posted by
15018 posts

Yes Bets, the ones I use (I have two in two different states) both have virtual mail. Its great.

For those who don't know what virtual mail is......whenever you get a piece of mail, the front of the letter/large envelope/package is photographed and it's put in your account. You then get an email alerting you to mail. You log in and see the piece of mail. Then, you can tell them from the same page if you want them to scan the contents, throw it out, forward it to you or just keep it to pick up at a later date.

Posted by
7049 posts

You do have to step foot in South Dakota once every 5 years, and provide hotel or other receipts. There's no 100% free lunch despite the "residency" (in name only, not in any spirit) the state is running as a tax loophole for the wealthy, shell corporations, and anyone else who has assets to protect and finds it advantageous. Still, the requirements are really a low bar to clear, and it is all legal.

Anyway, I would scour major newspapers like Wall Street Journal and New York Times, as there have been many articles in the past showcasing Americans who moved abroad and the issues, challenges, and rewards they obtained from the experience. It's a lot of food for thought and variables to consider, and very dependent on your values, needs, and preferences.

Posted by
15018 posts

You do have to step foot in South Dakota once every 5 years, and provide hotel or other receipts.

Only if you have a drivers license. You have to spend one night within one calendar year of your renewal. The rest you could do by mail.

If you live overseas, why would you need a U.S. drivers license?

the state is running as a tax loophole for the wealthy, shell corporations, and anyone else who has assets to protect

Not at all. There are many retirees who travel full time in their RV's. There are also ex-pats who live overseas and need a U.S. address. They are the ones it was aimed at. These are not just rich people. One cannot become a "full time traveler" resident of SD if they have any resident within in the USA. And you have to sign an affadavit to say so. The state realized that the "residents" would have to pay for a private mail box but not ask for any services in return since they aren't there. It's a way for the state to make money.

It is called "full time traveler" residency. It is for individuals only. It's not used as a shell for corporations. If South Dakota has those laws, then it has nothing to do with what I and thousands of other people do.

Posted by
1674 posts

I always say the grass looks greener on the other side of the Atlantic, but is it? Dive into the internet and look for reasons NOT to live overseas, if you can get by those, then go for it.

It is usually the intangible things that are the most troublesome like being away from family, will you really travel as much as you think you will, are you fluent in any languages, how will you make friends, what will you do when you are not traveling, are my hobbies available near where I live, how easy will it be to move back to the US when the time comes, etc.

My advice, find a low cost place in the US to live, get a low maintenance place like a condo and if you schedule your travel right, you can spend a lot of time in a year overseas if you manage the Schengen rules carefully, probably 6 months a year.

Posted by
10196 posts

Sort of a dreamy article. I hope these Angelenos check the temperatures; winter in Portugal is not the same as winter in Southern California.

The article didn't mention the tax hit to the newcomers in Portugal after the 10th year of residency.

Posted by
4412 posts

there are entire websites dedicated to Where should I retire. AARP is naturally big into this. Some of them have fun little "quizzes" to help narrow it down. They tend to be heavily biased towards costs of living and low taxes which tends to lead to Southern states. Quality of life and cultural opportunities are also important, and yes medical care.

Posted by
2356 posts

You cannot use a European address and still expect to have a US based bank or brokerage account.

This is incorrect. You can most certainly reside outside the US and maintain a US bank account with a US based bank.

Posted by
571 posts

I second threadware's idea, keep a low cost US residence but spend a bunch of time in Europe.

Posted by
3046 posts

One of the main problems with living in Europe is that you may not speak the language. Of course, everyone speaks tourist English, but they tell jokes in Hungarian or Croatian or Italian, and you won't get those. If you speak the local language, that's different. I speak a little German, a little Russian, my wife handles the Romance languages, but neither of us is everyday-tell-puns fluent.

Posted by
978 posts

I see. Buying Maltese residency but living full time in France instead is not allowed and it wouldn’t work. Living in Malta for 8 months and summering in Sweden for 4 consecutive months is not allowed either, but a scenario like that is really on the honor system.

The burden of proof is on you to show that you complied with the rules, in other words you are guilty until you prove otherwise. Your permit automatically expires if you are out of the country for that long and if caught you can expect to be fined, deported and barred from re entry for up to 15 years. And yes there are random checks, I have been checked a couple of times. Communities also check from time to time and neighbors who are not happy about having foreigners take up housing etc are only too happy to report you disappearance.

Not a smart move if the objective is long term residence.

Posted by
15018 posts

Clarifying the Maltese residency.......if you invest 750,000 Euros and show one year of residency, you can qualify for Maltese citizenship. With a Maltese passport, you could live anywhere in the EU.

In addition, for Maltese citizenship, you have to buy a property worth at least 700,000 euros or rent one of equal value for five years. You also have to donate 10,000 euros to charity.

Any takers?

Posted by
978 posts

Apart from the fact that it does not work like that…..

These are the rules for living in Malta. EU citizenship does not give you the right to go live anywhere in the EU/EEA/CH contrary to popular believe on this forum. The rights are very specific and designed to ensure that you do not become a burden on the state where you decide to reside. Most people who have not worked and paid social security contributions in an EU/EEA/CH will not qualify because they will have no access to public services such as healthcare etc… and so the amount of savings required to live there goes up very significantly as you’d need to be able to demonstrate an ability to cover all medical expenses etc for the remainder of your life etc….

Posted by
10196 posts

What Jim says may be the way it is in Switzerland, but the rules and requirements he states cannot be generalized to the EU. It’s absolutely incorrect for France.

Posted by
293 posts

Bets, I actually think Jim is largely right that freedom of movement is a bit of a misunderstood term. Here are the rules governing freedom of movement into Germany, for example (my bolding for the point that would cover retirees):

Entry and residence of EU citizens EU citizens may enter and stay in
the territory of another Member States for up to three months without
being subject to any conditions or formalities other than the
requirement to hold a valid identity card or passport.

EU citizens have the right of residence for longer than three months
if they:

-are workers or self-employed persons in the host Member State or are seeking employment (for a certain length of time);

-are not in employment or are students or trainees and have sufficient resources and comprehensive health insurance cover;

-have the right of permanent residence (following legal residence of five years).

-Family members, regardless of their citizenship, accompanying or joining an EU citizen who satisfies these conditions also have the
right of residence for more than three months.

So the underlying idea is that in order to reside for more than three
months in another Member State, EU citizens must have sufficient
resources for themselves and their family members not to become a
burden on the social assistance system of the host Member State.

The freedom of movement rights are generally explicitly tied largely to employment and other similar situations, see here. In Germany at least, the system of universal address registration means that the government does get a chance to control this, and check that people meet the conditions of health coverage and income. I have no idea what type of costs one would be looking at to self-insure as a retiree in Germany who had never been part of our system, but I imagine it would be quite high, perhaps prohibitively so.

Posted by
32776 posts

It has been a week now since Phyllis last visited this thread. I wonder, Phyllis, if you've been scared off, or if you have any comments on what's been brought up?

Do any of the places mentioned resonate with you and your husband?

Posted by
2745 posts

I’m not Phyllis, but nothing I’ve read on here has scared me off. I will probably be moving abroad someplace when I retire. I’m actually considering Costa Rica, Mexico and other places but I would consider Europe especially Spain I speak a little Spanish

Considering I could work remotely now, if my mother was not a consideration I would probably be investigating this now

The field I work in has a number of people that I work with to live whereever they want I just have a friend who moved to New Zealand on a work visa sponsored by the government. I know other people who every time I talk to them have packed up and moved to some other country to experience it. The days of living in one place and staying there forever may be gone for a lot of us

I’ll be honest, my reasons for moving abroad are political. Just in the last week there were 17 new reasons

Posted by
4521 posts

costs one would be looking at to self-insure as a retiree in Germany

There are options. Most Medicare Advantage plans have international coverage for up to 6 months. Medigap covers up to 60 days overseas. https://internationalliving.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-medicare-overseas/

And some private employment insurance covers internationally year round even in retirement. It’s one of the reasons I stayed at my job.

my reasons for moving abroad are political.

Georgia is practically the center of the you-know-what industry, you know. You don’t have to live where there are billboards selling you know what, and shops selling you know what every sixth block.

Posted by
10196 posts

I have French national health care, but the prices I see arriving expats quote on line for their initial insurance is quite reasonable, half of what our employee plan in the US was or our two Medicare part B premiums added together. Top up insurance is much lower, too.
All residents in France are entitled to join the national healthcare after 3 months. After numerous generous deductions, American retirees contribute 6% of their remaining taxable income. With all the deductions, some pay nothing.
So once again, we can't generalize or make assumptions from one country to another.

Posted by
293 posts

Bets, yes--I in no way want to generalise.

Just to comment that the basic assumptions that one sees about what, precisely, freedom of movement means inside of the EU for citizens of member states is not as simple as the term "freedom of movement" implies. As protected rights, these exist in relatively strict format, and relate to those "contributing to the economy", to be quite crass. For people like retirees, it is up to the individual countries to make up their rules about what they allow, and it is not as simple as saying "I am a citizen of an EU member state and I want to retire in country XXX".

Posted by
2945 posts

I lived in Germany for eight years. My one regret is not learning better German as my friends and associates generally spoke flawless English. Living there permanently is a non-starter as we have way too many family and friends in the States.

I would suggest doing extensive homework, particularly the math to include taxes, health care, energy costs, and overall finances. On a side note we visited Seattle recently, and our home in rural Virginia would cost 3x as much in Seattle. Something to consider. In Germany the average home cost is 350,000 Euros. England is 240,000 pounds. Not much different in that one sense than in the U.S.

Posted by
978 posts

What Jim says may be the way it is in Switzerland, but the rules and requirements he states cannot be generalized to the EU. It’s absolutely incorrect for France.

Those are actually the rules out in the EU directive.

Posted by
1226 posts

Im enjoying this thread. Im a ways away from retirement (10 years-ish) but have long considered living or retiring abroad. I have started taking steps (I have the opportunity to obtain dual citizenship), so looking more closely at nuts and bolts is helpful

Back to your question Phyllis, I would suggest looking at Spain or Portugal

Posted by
2341 posts

"My one regret is not learning better German"

I stayed in Berlin for the 90-day Schengen allowed period. The landlord spoke English; the woman at the laundry/drycleaners just smiled as she always does with "regulars", showed me the date for pickup and put through my Visa card; the cashiers at the corner grocery store, smiled and put through my Visa card; my favourite bartender saw me as an opportunity to better his English.

Other than the essentials, there was limited need to speak German so, so much for the opportunity to lift my German-speaking skills.

Posted by
2945 posts

periscope, I would get a bit perturbed at my colleagues when I tried using German. I think they appreciated the effort but it was much easier for them to just speak English as opposed to me slogging through and butchering their language, which did make them laugh at times. Knowing some German did help in the countryside.

As for the original question, I think it would be worthwhile to do a pros and cons list. For example, are you willing to really learn a new language, conversationally? I think if you don't you'll always be a bit of an outsider. Are there family and friends back home you want to see periodically, and can you afford the travel? Do you need some sort of job? Weather? Although we loved Germany, the long, gray, cold, wet winters were depressing and seemingly never-ending. Reminded me of Seattle, although obviously a LOT of people like living there. Everyone's different. For example, you can have Florida, which for me felt like living in a sauna for 8 months out of the year.

Posted by
10196 posts

To be more precise about what Jim says

"Most people who have not worked and paid social security contributions in an EU/EEA/CH will not qualify because they will have no access to public services such as healthcare etc… and so the amount of savings required to live there goes up very significantly as you’d need to be able to demonstrate an ability to cover all medical expenses etc for the remainder of your life etc…."

cannot be generalized across the board to all EU countries.

It's the Freedom of movement rules that apply to the whole EU.

Posted by
14510 posts

"...so much for the opportunity to lift my German speaking skills.".... One can always use German in Germany, just depends on one's philosophy on speaking a foreign language there. If it's your intention to "lift" your skills, that can always be done. This notion that the locals will jump at the chance to practice their English, which obviously many speak quite well, when they know you're from the US is a myth.

There are certainly opportunities to speaking to them only in their language, be it in train stations, as fellow passenger on a train ride, restaurants, retail stores, post offices, striking up conversations with locals, regardless.

Posted by
2341 posts

"when they know you're from the US is a myth"

I'm not from the US, and the bartender is from Croatia, working in Berlin.

Posted by
14510 posts

Not from the US, then the locals will continue using German with you....even better. If the bartender is from Croatia, I can rely on his speaking in German after I address him in that language. I'm betting he won't switch over to English after I tell him I'm from Calif.

Posted by
2341 posts

That's most likely because he can tell you need more help with your Deutsche, than he does with his English.

Posted by
14510 posts

That's a bet I'll take, that the interlocutor does not change over to English, never happened in 25 trips to Germany , including Austria too.

Bottom line, I start with German, they continue in the language. Or, a couple of times in Vienna "they" start in English, since it is the lingua franca, I reply in German, they switch over.

Posted by
6327 posts

I was surprised to find how many Germans were willing to talk to me back in German (I speak German but not well). I would always start off a conversation or request in German, and in every case they would respond back in German. Even if I started faltering and had problems with a conversation, they ask me if I wanted to switch to English. And this happened even in the larger cities, like Berlin.

When I was eating at a cafe at a castle on the Moselle River, I struck up a conversation with a German couple about our respective meals. At one point, the woman began speaking English to me (she said she wanted to practice) and I responded in German. It actually worked out pretty well, although her husband started laughing about it at one point.

Posted by
2945 posts

All public health insurance providers in Germany charge the same basic premium of 14.6 per cent of your gross income, plus a supplemental charge that is an average 0.9 per cent of your gross income, to a maximum monthly income of €4,425. If you earn more than this, you will not pay a higher insurance premium.

For expats, the cost of healthcare coverage can range from 80 to 1,500 euros per month, depending on your circumstances and insurance premium.

Posted by
2333 posts

All public health insurance providers in Germany charge the same basic premium of 14.6 per cent

This is correct up to this point, but 50% of the Premium is paid by the employer

Posted by
12172 posts

Climate - Not unlike the American continent, Southern Europe is very hot in the summer and more comfortable in the winter. A coastal climate stays relatively moderate. Northern Europe is more comfortable in summer and cold to very cold in winter. I'd probably pick Spain or the southern half of France, but I haven't fully considered former Eastern bloc countries. The Dalmatian coast might be ideal.

Cost of Living - I've found Spain and Poland to be the best deals at the moment in Europe. As I said above, I haven't fully considered the Dalmation coast.

Healthcare - Do you have Tricare? Medicare only provides benefits in the U.S. which means you are on your own for insurance. I don't expect "free health care" applies to anyone who isn't a taxpaying resident.

Best Home Base - I think the Iberian Peninsula and Scandinavia are remote from a perspective of moving around Europe. If in Spain, I'd want to be in the far north-east (above Barcelona) so you can travel easily. In Scandinavia, I'd want to be a short drive from Germany, where you could access their train system to travel. The Dalmation coast would likely start with a train, ferry or flight to connect to a more developed train system.

Possible - Some countries are much more amenable to retirees than others. Spain has been very friendly to anyone who buys a home there. France would be considerably harder. I can't say about the Dalmatian Coast.

Language - If you aren't committed to learning the language, you're going to be most comfortable in communities of English-speaking expats. I'd personally much prefer to be immersed in the local language and try to speak as little English as possible.

Posted by
6402 posts

In Scandinavia, I'd want to be a short drive from Germany, where you
could access their train system to travel.

We do have trains in Scandinavia as well…

And once the Fehmarn-Belt tunnel opens, connections between Scandinavia and Germany will improve a lot.

Posted by
2267 posts

If in Spain, I'd want to be in the far north-east (above Barcelona) so you can travel easily.

Much of southern Spain is very well connected to europe via air. The route networks were designed mostly to bring northerners to the beach, but one can fly directly to many places from Valencia, Malaga, Alicante, Sevilla... The trains from Barcelona are great into France, but anything beyond Montpelier and flying will be competative for price & time.

Some countries are much more amenable to retirees than others. Spain has been very friendly to anyone who buys a home there.

500k euro minimum investment in Spain for the Golden Visa. In most parts of Spain that is a lot of house, maybe too much. The non lucrative visa, or 'retirement' visa, only calls for about 28k euro/year in income or assets.

Posted by
10196 posts

Can't assume "France would be considerably harder." The minimum income requirement is unrealistically low, and there are village houses going begging in non- touristy villages. National healthcare is available after 3 months of residency; you pay into the system based on income. What takes adjustment is the paperwork and understanding the logic of the administrations. It's an adjustment even for returning overseas French 😂. Personal experience.

Posted by
28 posts

Italy has a Elective Residency Visa (also known as a retirement visa) that’s pretty straightforward. You’ll have to show proof of €38,000 in income as a couple and health insurance to cover up to €30,000.

Posted by
427 posts

There's a fair amount of misinformation in this thread, at least with respect to France. Bets has tried to correct the course here and there but I'll provide my input.

Speaking for France, here are my thoughts:

1. Regarding taxes retirees may face, according to my Paris-based accountant who prepares my taxes and based on several years of living in France after retiring from my work here, retirement income (pensions, IRAs, 401(k) withdrawals) are not taxable in France. You'll still pay U.S. tax on them, but not state tax within the U.S. and not French taxes. If you have a lot of capital gains or other income from part time work while retired, that may open you up to French taxation depending on income level.

2. Regarding health care, in France you're not only eligible but encouraged to apply for the national health insurance program after 3 months of residency. The French government views it as a step in becoming fully integrated into life in France. It's called PUMA (Protection Universelle Maladie). Many people also buy relatively inexpensive supplemental insurance (usually referred to as a mutuelle) to fill in gaps in PUMA.

3. Regarding Schengen, it's not difficult to qualify for an annual carte de séjour in France if you have sufficient resources, equivalent to minimum wage in France. That could be pensions/social security or savings in an IRA, 401(k), or bank/credit union, or some combination thereof. I haven't tested the notion raised above about the nation granting you residency (temporarily) versus travel outside that nation, but I wonder how many people living in, say, France or Italy, would be compelled to spend more than 90 days outside their "home" nation in every 180 day period.

In my opinion it's easier, I think, than most Americans might think to retire in Europe (using France as an example) but it requires flexibility, a willingness and ability to learn the language, and personal circumstances that would permit you to leave behind family and friends. It's not for everyone.

As for cost of living, I'm confident a person could find a lower cost of living here than in the U.S., as long as you're willing to live outside large cities or tourist hot spots. Here's an example: before buying our house in northern France, we rented a 3-bedroom free-standing house in a small town within a reasonable distance to Mâcon and Lyon, with a garage, home office, workshop, and sizable kitchen for about 80 percent of what our children pay in the U.S. for their one-bedroom apartments. Within walking distance (literally just a few minutes) were restaurants, bars, a grocery, doctors, dentists, post office, banks, and various merchants. In other words, it wasn't a ghost town, but a thriving, growing community.

Edited: Oh, and for those people suggesting a retirement in southern France or Spain or other hot climate location: if that's what you like, go for it. We moved to northern France (minutes from la Manche [the English Channel]) specifically to avoid the heat associated with central and southern France in the summer. Cold doesn't bother us. Heat does. I like our summertime highs in the teens (mid-60s F) over highs in the low to mid 30s (90s F).

Posted by
14510 posts

@ Sammy.....May I ask where in northern France, which town. From your post I assume you're in Nord Pas-de-Calais; most of my traveling and exploring in France has been focused on Paris and northern France. Very true about the heat, I was always there in the summer and usually it's about 4-5 degrees cooler than in Paris.

Posted by
427 posts

I'd rather not say specifically, but not Pas de Calais -- not that far north. I'm west of there on the Cotentin Peninsula.

Posted by
14510 posts

Yes, understood. You are in Normandy. That is one area I have yet to see , that peninsula easily accessible by train to Cherbourg from Paris. My focus on northern France is from the Somme to Lille.