Please sign in to post.

renting apartments

Hello
I am in the process of renting an apartment in Paris through VRBO and havve been asked to send a scanned copy of the main page of my passport to the owner in order to set up the contract. Is this usual procedure? I feel a bit uneasy about it never having done this before.

Posted by
267 posts

When we booked with Paris Attitude, we were asked to do the same thing. So yes, it is standard.

Posted by
11 posts

Thank you - that makes me feel a lot more comfortable. Cheers
Rosemary

Posted by
875 posts

Also have rented in Paris twice with two different groups -- never had to send passport info. Rented through VEBO in Belgium and did not have to send passport info there either.

Posted by
23 posts

I have rented apartments in Paris four times through two different companies and have NEVER been asked for my passport. Why would they need it? I would be very hesitant to send anyone a copy of that document. It is your identity and they are asking for a copy that could be used by anyone who has access to that scanner. Ask why they need it.

Posted by
3250 posts

Rosemary, We just rented an apartment in Paris through VRBO for January and were not asked to send a scanned copy of our passport.

Posted by
2030 posts

Me too - rented European apartments twice through VRBO and did not have to give them copy of my passport -- though both rental parties were based in the USA.

Posted by
11 posts

Thank you all for your replies. The person I am dealing with is in France (I think) . I wonder if that makes a difference. I will ask why she needs it.
Cheers
Rosemary

Posted by
3250 posts

Our VRBO owner lives in Paris so I don't think that it makes a difference whether they are in the U.S. or France.