Please sign in to post.

Rental Car Insurance

I am a US citizen, living in the US and will be renting a car in Croatia for 2 weeks. I have a credit card that will cover Collision Damage Waiver as the primary. The car rental reservations says "third party insurance included" which I believe is liability coverage but it does not specify an amount. I also have a liability umbrella policy in the US that I would like to have as coverage in case something awful happens but that requires an underlying minimum liability coverage of $250,000 per person / $500,000 per incident. Without those minimums, the umbrella policy would not apply.

So far, I haven't been successful in finding out from the rental car company (SIXT) what the liability coverage is. I was reading some things online that made it sound like liability is mandatory in Europe, it goes with the car and that there is not a limit.

Does anyone know anything about the liability insurance offered by rental car companies for Europe (Croatia) travel?

Posted by
11037 posts

I also have a liability umbrella policy in the US

If you have not already done so, check to see if it applies to an 'event' occurring in Europe, even if the underlying coverage meets the required minimums.

Posted by
7 posts

I did check with my insurance company and the umbrella coverage is world wide - but the underlying liability minimums need to be met. So I do care what those are to ensure that they are sufficient.