Please sign in to post.

Rental car

Best place/company to rent a car Avignon to Antibe

Posted by
8700 posts

I like Auto Europe, a consolidator that finds you the best rate from among the companies with which it has contracts. Sometimes you can do even better by calling AE's US toll-free number and asking if there are any special deals that aren't shown on the Web site.

Posted by
7209 posts

When I used gemut they just turned around and use AutoEurope...so I'm not sure you actually save anything by using Gemut.

Posted by
850 posts

Tim, I asked Mr. Bestor at Gemut about that one time because I was wondering the same thing. Even though they are affiliated with Autoeurope their rates are not always the same. They can be competitive somewhat in that area and I suppose it would boil down to how much commission they would be willing to give up. A couple of times after getting back home I had some discrepances with the billing from the rental company and I called Andy or Bob Bestor at the Gemut toll free number and they were able to resolve the problem for me. The thing I like about that is that I know I will deal with either of the two Bestors for assistance and don't lose any continuity during the process. They will make the phone calls to either Autoeurope or the rental company on my behalf so it makes it easier for me. Since I have not rented directly through Autoeurope I would not know if you would always deal with the same person; however, based on the good reviews everyone gives Autoeurope I would not have a problem in using them to find a rental for me. Both autoeurope and gemut promise to match or beat anyone else's price if comparing apples to apples. (Wonder what would happen if you go back and forth to get one to beat the other's rate. Reckon you could it for free?) :) Seriously though, another thing I like about using gemut and I would think autoeurope would be the same is they quote and gurantee the rate in U.S. dollars even if the dollar weakens against the Euro. Conversley if the dollar should strengthen against the Euro you can call back and get a better rate. I know gemut's website offers some good tips on car rentals and other items of interest especially for Germany, Austria and Switzerland.

Posted by
76 posts

If you elect to use Autoeurope, I would - based only on my personal experience - avoid a rental through National. Each of 2 times I rented through AE (separated by 3 years) and wound up with a National rental, I used the CDW coverage offered by Visa. After returning these cars, National asserted that damage had occurred during the rental and tried to charge me (no damage occurred.)

The second time, renting at CDG, National/Citer asserted that I had had an accident with damage to the vehicle, had not reported it, and had returned the car a day late. All of this was false, and despite my digital photographs and plane ticket receipts to disprove their assertions, attempted to charge my credit card. Fortunately, I'd changed the account number anticipating the attempt, at the suggestion of Visa and my bank. Two YEARS later, I received a National/Citer letter saying I had not paid their charges. At that point I had an attorney respond and that appears to have ended National's campaign.

To this day I refuse to rent through National. YMMV.

Posted by
7209 posts

I've rented with AutoEurope on a previous occasion and everything was fine. On a 2nd trip I rented with AutoEurope, called Gemut to get them to beat AE's price...which they did. Gemut got me a better price with AE than I had with AE. Either way AE seems to be a good place with good customer service.

On my upcoming trip in June 2010, I've rented an 8 passenger van through EasyTerra rentals which in turn gave me an AE rental contract. That's fine, but when I tried to deal directly with AE the rates were much higher. Turns out EasyTerra rented through AE European system. When I contacted AE I obviously went to the North American division. Strange as it seems AE European Division beat AE North American Division by a good deal AND I got zero deductible insurance included which isn't available at my rental location if using AE North American.

Work the system to your advantage...