Please sign in to post.

Railpass or not?

Hello!

I'm backpacking Europe for nearly 3 months beginning March 17, 2015. I have read all of the information regarding rail passes on this site, but would prefer speaking to people to share experience and advice on my specific situation.

Recently, I am considering getting the 3 Month Global Pass which is roughly 1500. It's a hefty investment, so I want to make sure it'll be worth it for my trip. I plan to do a lot of cross country travelling. The (ideal) order of my destinations are as follows:

London to Belgium (via Eurostar, which is not covered)
Belgium to Netherlands
Netherlands to Germany
Germany to Czech Republic
Czech Republic to Austria
Hungary to Croatia
Croatia to Italy
Italy to Switzerland
Switzerland to Spain (if there is time remaining on my trip)
Spain to France

In most countries, I will be visiting at least two cities on each stop. That's 10-11 countries in 3 months.

Is the railpass worth it?

Posted by
6638 posts

You can buy a railpass at the last minute, if that turns out to be the best option for you . Take time now to explore all your transport options. Countries aren't enough. You will need to nail down specific journeys for a good cost comparison. At DB (German railways) advance-purchase rail tickets for specific trains can be very good. Amsterdam - Berlin for example can be had for €39. Berlin - Prague, €29. To get such prices you have to decide your journeys ASAP as prices will rise once the low-price tickets are gone.

The global railpass ensures that you will spend an enormous amount of time on ground travel - and only ground travel. I think Croatia and Spain and maybe Italy could be good countries to fly into. The abundance of cheap fare airlines (Ryanair, Air Berlin, Easy Jet, and several others) means generally good competition and good prices in addition to time saved. In combination with train and/or bus travel, they can be a very good choice.

Long-distance buses have made solid in-roads and are good for certain routes and can be VERY cheap.

If you want maximum schedule flexibility, the 3-month railpass will work but you will likely pay a hefty premium for it. (It's not an "investment" - it is generally a way to pay more than you need to for the privilege of leaving your trip unplanned, if that's the approach you prefer.)

Posted by
16893 posts

This itinerary is much more rail-friendly than the previous version. The regions where you'd be most likely to consider another form of transport are from Croatia to Italy (e.g., ferry or flight, depending where you are in Croatia), from Switzerland to Spain (your longest distance, e.g., 9-10 hours from Basel to Barcelona), and possibly also back from Spain to Paris (flying can be affordable if you don't plan other stops in France). The pass gives you a lot of freedom and hop-on convenience for most of the trip, but it is important to reserve ahead (minimum of 3 days and often weeks ahead) for TGV trains across France. Given the looseness of the itinerary so far, I doubt that you're ready to lock in many reserved tickets yet. But you should try to judge at least a month in advance whether or not you will travel by train to Spain and back into France so you can make those seat reservations online (some are e-tickets, but you don't find out until check-out) or at train stations in Europe.

The 3-month Global pass for a youth in 2nd class costs about $1235 and the 1st-class youth version for $1518 (tomorrow's price) is only a small increase to give you the 1st class option. You certainly could spend that much on tickets, depending on additional route details. Passes also cover some extras such as lake boats and lift discounts in Switzerland. As on my last reply, I still wonder if your continental travel is close to fitting into a 2-month window, from departing Belgium to arriving in your last city. Book the Eurostar ticket soon for best price, and to help the plan take shape.