Please sign in to post.

Rail Travel

Will be in Rome in May 15. Will travel from Rome to Florence May 17 to Venice May 19 to Paris May 21. What are the best rail choice?

Posted by
663 posts

Check out trenitalia.com where you can find the train schedule and prices. I'm going to be in Italy around the same time, and have already bought most of my train tickets. You can get really low "mini" fares if you buy in advance!

Posted by
32222 posts

Jeanne, The rail choices I'd use: > Rome to Florence - EuroStar Italia / Alta Velocita (aka Frecciarosa or Frecchiargento) - travel time ~1H:30M and fares as low as 39€. These trains require compulsory reservations, which will be included with P-P tickets. You'll be assigned a Car No. (Carrozza) and a Seat No. (Posti). > Florence to Venice - Again, ES/AV trains - travel time ~2H:05M and fares as low as 43€ (many of the cheaper 39€ fares appear to be sold out for that date?). > Venice to Paris - that's about an 11-15 hour trip, with at least one change in Milano Centrale. In that case, I'd suggest using a budget airline. For example, EasyJet has flights from VCE to both CDG and ORY (flight time ~1.5 hours). Unfortunately, the fares aren't exactly in the "budget" category at the moment. If you choose this option, I'd suggest booking SOON as the prices will increase. A few tips to mention..... I'd suggest buying all your rail tickets as soon as possible after you arrive in Rome, so that you can take advantage of the cheaper "Mini" fares (when available). You can buy from the ticket windows or the automated Kiosks. You may find it helpful to have a look at This Website. If you decide to travel via air from Venice to Paris, it's a good idea to estimate the weight of your checked luggage, and pay for excess weight charges at the time of booking. It will be more expensive if the bags are found to be over the limit at check-in. Also note that usually only ONE carry-on item is permitted, of the approved size. That doesn't mean "one plus a personal item", it means ONLY ONLY!!!! Happy travels!