Please sign in to post.

Rail pass or point to point tickets?

Our itinerary follows and I am not sure if we should do a rail pass or point to point tickets. After reading the travel tips, it doesn't sound like for Amsterdam or Belgium is a good value for a pass but still a little uncertain on what the best option is. Our dates are firm but we do not need to be any place by any certain time. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you in advance.
9/24 - Arrive via plane in Amsterdam;
9/27 - Travel by train to Brussels;
9/28 - Travel by train to Bayeux;
9/29 - Travel by train to Rouen;
9/30 - Travel by train to Paris.

We will be in Paris for a week and may take a side trip to the Loire Valley one day but have not decided for sure yet.
Any help would be great. Thanks again.

Posted by
23267 posts

Unfortunately you have to do your homework. Someone may do it for you but you learn best when you do it yourself. Go to the national rail site for each country in plug in your schedule and price the tickets. Add them up and compare to a rail pass. Rail pass have limitations in France. The number of seats available for pass are limited and a surcharge is made for seat reservations. With the discounts for advance, on-line purchases of train ticket it would be hard to make a pass pay with your limited schedule.

Posted by
32752 posts

Just one night in Brussels and Bayeux, and also only one in Rouen?

What are you hoping to see in Brussels, and what are you hoping to see in Normandy?

If you want a decent experience in Bayeux you can do the Amsterdam to Bayeux trip all in one day - Thalys to Paris straight through, across to St Lazare and an easy trip to Bayeux.

Between packing, checking out, getting to the train, riding the train, finding the new hotel, checking in and getting settled in and then getting into the new town collectively all eat up huge amounts of time and energy. Doing that every day will exhaust you and will mean that most of that part of the trip will NOT be spent looking at what you went there to see......

I haven't done the maths but I will be surprised if a pass is best in your plan.

Posted by
4407 posts

Maybe there's some weirdness going on in the WWW, but after looking up your trains and prices it looks like you're going to spend nearly ALL DAY on the train with this schedule:

Brussels - Bayeux: 8-12 hours, depending on train route chosen.

Bayeux - Rouen: 7-12 hours,...

Rouen - Paris: 7-8 hours,...

Posted by
20089 posts

I'm not seeing it as quite that bad.

Brussels to Bayeux about 5 hours. This is a 99.30 Tarif Normal ticket, but you can get a Prems nonrefundable ticket for 55 euro if you buy far enough in advance. Remember you will need to buy a ticket for the RER E from Gare du Nord to Gare St Lazare.

Bayeaux to Rouen about 2 hours 33 minutes. This is a 31 euro Tarif Normal ticket.

Rouen to Paris about 1 hour 10 minutes. This is a 24.10 euro Tarif Normal ticket, but you can get Prems nonrefundable ticket for 10 euro if you buy far enough in advance.

Still seems like a lot of traveling for three one-night stands.

Posted by
16893 posts

€99 Tarif Normal is from Brussels to Paris, not including another €40 to Bayeux. Full fare from Amsterdam to Brussels is €80 in 2nd class, with either advance discounts or slower train also available. All of the above adds up to €275 at full fare.

I have done the math many times for this type of trip and the 2-country pass (currently starting from $240 per person plus seat reservations, where required) does not save money without any longer trips in France. The Thalys seat reservations for pass holders have become cheaper lately, but still are part of the equation, and still with limited places available.