Please sign in to post.

Rail pass confusion

My family and I are visiting London and Paris the end of June and first of July. We plan to ride the trains as much as possible, buses as needed in-between. Examples of train usage are: getting around London; one or two day trips outside of London; Eurostar to Paris; getting around Paris; one or two day trips outside of Paris.

I have been trying to research the various train passes for local trains, then I have just been reading about the Eurail pass, and trying to figure which pass I would get the most use of and best deal for all train travel. I was thinking maybe the Eurail pass, to try and save some money with one way tickets on Eurostar from London to Paris, but not sure if that same pass will cover the "local" trains within London / Paris?

Too much information -- please help!!

Thank you

Posted by
3245 posts

It does sound like you don't need a rail pass, which wouldn't work on the local trains and buses in London or Paris.

I find loco2.com to be a very user-friendly website for buying train tickets.

https://loco2.com/

Posted by
24 posts

Thank you for the information, it has been quite helpful!

One more question, has anyone ever purchased a single day round trip Eurostar ticket from between London and Paris, but only took it one way? I had read that the round trip price might be less expensive, which they seem to be.

Posted by
3046 posts

The notion of buying the round trip, but not taking the return, might sound good. Airlines do not like this idea. If you miss stops on multi-city trips, they may cancel the whole trip; this happened to us some years ago. Luckily we were at the airport early so that the return trip could be sorted out correctly. So, before planning such a strategy, make sure to check on the long-term issues. Will the airline keep a record, which might come back to "bite you" later?

Posted by
32202 posts

I agree with the others, forget the Rail Pass. They can't be used for "getting around London" or any other city transit. One other point to note is that if the rail trip involves one of the fast trains such as the TGV in France, the pass does not include the compulsory reservation fees. You'd have to pay for those "out-of-pocket".

You may find this website helpful - https://www.seat61.com/Railpass-and-Eurail-pass-guide.htm .

Posted by
8889 posts

Buy your Eurostar ticket ASAP, they only ever go up in price. Buy from the official Eurostar site: https://www.eurostar.com
Tickets for the last week in June are currently "from" €51 (I just looked). There is no discount for a return, all tickets are priced as singles.

For getting around London (Tube+trains+bus) you need to buy an "Oyster Card".
Info here: https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/how-to-pay-and-where-to-buy-tickets-and-oyster/pay-as-you-go

Posted by
11294 posts

Part of why you are confused is your terminology. Usually, "train" refers to something taking you to a different city, or at least to a suburb. For travel within the city, you will be taking the metro (in Paris) and the tube or underground (in London).

I can hear the Forum regulars screaming: "That's not the whole story! What about the RER (for Paris) and the Overground (for London), not to mention all kinds of other things on rails that are in these cities?" They're right. But, none of these things are referred to, in usual usage, as a "train." That's why a "rail pass" won't work - you are mostly using local transit not covered by a rail pass (like Eurail) that is designed to cover longer distance trains.

For London, there are multiple zones, and you can cover your travel with them with an Oyster Card. Most day trips from London fall outside the London zones, so you will not be using your Oyster, but rather buying rail or bus tickets separately. However, some places like Greenwich, Kew Gardens, and Hampton Court Palace are within the London travel zones.

For Paris, the city itself is zones 1 and 2; CDG airport is zone 6. Like in London, some day trips (like Versailles) are within the Paris transit system zones, while others (Giverny or Chartres) are not.

If you tell us how long you are in London and in Paris, and which days of the week you are in Paris, we can help with what would be your best deal for local transit in those cities. Days of the week matter for Paris because the one week pass there is only for Monday through Sunday; the London one week pass can be for any seven consecutive days.

For the day trips, it depends on which specific ones you had in mind. Some will have discounts for advance booking, some will not.

Again, you're not wrong - it IS confusing.

Posted by
16893 posts

A pass covering 3 travel days in a month for $246 or 5 for $318 per adult might be about a break-even value, but probably not a significant savings. The equation depends largely on the distance and price of your daytrips outside the big cities. Most recommended daytrip destinations are close enough to already be relatively cheap train tickets and Britain offers discounts for same-day "return" tickets. High-speed trains can make further distances possible, but are more expensive tickets and in France usually require a seat reservation in addition to the pass, as does Eurostar.