Please sign in to post.

quick stop in Venice on way to Montreaux Jazz Festival June 2024

We have only a day and a half in Venice as a stop on our way from Slovenia to Montreaux. I know it is a short time to dedicate but we are meeting up with friends in Switzerland and have decided to dedicate a large portion of our trip to that (6 days). We are staying near the Rialto bridge at Ego Residence hotel and have (thanks to tips we received here) pre booked Piazzale Roma for parking as well as vaporetto service to hotel. Looking for thoughts about how to best use our time in Venice. My only must do (although cliche) is a gondola ride. Other than that we are looking for suggestions.

Also if anyone has been to the Montreaux jazz fest I'd love to hear your thoughts. Staying at Eurotel Montreaux. We will also be in Zermatt for 3 days and 1 day at lake Lucerne. Love and tips you may have. Thanks!!

Posted by
8677 posts

Please don’t take offense but the “ best “ way to find things in Venice is to get lost. I found a sweet cafe inhabited with locals by doing so.

Get away from St Marks Square and wander.

Posted by
93 posts

With my teens we purchased a Vaporetto day pass and just got on and off and different stops and like an earlier post mentioned, we just wandered out from St Marks. Had a great day.

Posted by
4848 posts

...how to best use our time in Venice.

Since your time is limited, just do a walk by of the Rialto Bridge and San Marco. Perhaps a short visit to The Ghetto, and then head off in any direction that has few people and just walk. You'll find the best parts of Venice are well away from the big attractions.