Please sign in to post.

Provence in late February-early March 2012?

Is it wise to visit Provence in late February- early March? Are shops, museums and restaurants open? Thank you. Roberto and Jane

Posted by
6 posts

I apologize for the confusion. Question is really focused on the weather in both locales. We were in Rome during a cold period and it was still glorious. What is Provence like in the late winter (February-March)? Thanks for helping me clarify my question. Roberto / Jane

Posted by
565 posts

I was in Provence one time in early March and it was still cold. I understand that's not unusual either, but that wasn't the worst part. It's the Mistral winds that are so tough. They can make you really miserable really quick. I was at Les Baux one day and they closed part of it off due to the winds. We had to come back another day. You will find everything open and nothing crowded if you don't mind putting up with the wind. I'd go again in early March, but only if I couldn't wait a month.

Posted by
6 posts

Thank you, Leslie. I've heard the Mistral is bitter cold and can last for days. Roberto

Posted by
10344 posts

The Mistral wind (50 mph), and the cold chill it brings, is something to consider when planning to be in Provence at that time. However, my understanding is that there aren't long term forecasts, way in advance, of when the Mistral is going to hit, just short term forecasts. If it hits when you're there, it can very negatively affect your trip. But the weather might be good. Tough to plan for.