Please sign in to post.

Proposed Europe Itinerary - Summer 2015

I've been fine-tuning our 3-week european itinerary based largely on feedback from this forum as well as taking a deeper dive into travel logistics. Trying to be relatively ambitious while trying to establish an appropriate travel pace for our 2 teens who travelling with us. I want this trip to be a memorable family experience and so really want to avoid burning them out with too many short stays and long travel between destinations. My goal is to achieve a good balance between urban cities and smaller towns and villages, and an appropriate mix of fast-paced travel and "slow down, chill and soak it all in" travel. We are an outdoorsy family that would rather spend a day in the alps over visiting a museum. Below is the latest version of our itinerary. I'd appreciate any feedback (positive or negative) as well as advice, alternatives, cautions, or recommendations that folks on this forum can offer. Thanks in advance!

6/16: Fly SFO > Rome
6/17: Arrive Rome. Stay 4 nights
6/20: Travel Rome > Venice by train. Stay 4 nights
6/25: Travel Venice > Varenna (Lake Como) by train. Stay 3 nights

6/28: Travel Varenna > Gimmelwald by train. Spend 4 nights
7/2: Travel Gimmelwald > Garmisch-P or Mittenwald by train. Spend 3 nights.

7/5: Travel Garmisch-P/Mittenwald by car to Munich. Spend 4 nights
7/9: Travel home Munich > SFO.

Posted by
20947 posts

Looks good. 2 questions.
Have you thought about the rail route you will be taking to get from Varenna to Gimmelwald? There are several possibilities.
Why the car from Mittenwald to Munich? You've got that far without renting wheels, why start now? Just curious.

Posted by
16895 posts

Sounds like a fine plan.

You have the option to travel north on regional train from Varenna via Tirano and Pontresina (joining the Bernina Express route), on your way toward Gimmelwald. This takes longer and you'd probably trade the third night in Varenna for a night in Pontresina. The Milan-Varenna-Tirano schedules are reflected on Italian and Swiss rail web sites, but not DB and other schedule resources.

Otherwise, the faster-but-still-scenic route is to return to Milan and catch a faster train northbound.

Posted by
5697 posts

Dachau is EASY to get to by S-bahn, so you might reconsider the car for that. Good public transportation in Munich.

Posted by
12 posts

Hi Sam - in response to your question, we are considering taking a leisurely drive from Garmisch-P/Mittenwald to Munich with a number of stops along the way, hence our plan to rent a car for this leg of the trip. Nice to have that flexibility in this beautiful part of Bavaria. I haven't decided whether to keep the car upon our arrival in Munich as it would come in handy for our planned day trip Dachau, probably on our 2nd day in Munich. Will having a car in Munich, even if just for a day or two, be more of a hassle than it's worth?

Posted by
12 posts

Hi Laura - appreciate the feedback. I've compared the train schedules and travel times between the more direct route from Varenna to Lauterbrunnen via Milan (5.5 - 6 hrs) versus the route you mention via Pontresina (combined 9.5 - 10 hrs). In your opinion do the views and overall experience of the Bernina Express route warrant the extra travel time? Is It reasonable to expect to be able to do and see much in Pontresina with only about a half day there?