Please sign in to post.

Problems updating maps on a Garmin 275T

I'm desperately hoping one of the RS bloggers can help me out...I have spent the past two evenings trying to update the European map on my Garmin 275T. At various times I have gotten a generic "Cannot load maps;" I got "Insufficient memory," so I bought and installed a micro SD cardc (8 GB) and that didn't help. I read every blog I could find and it may be that my laptop is configured incorrectly. Before anyone suggests I contact Garmin customer support, I cannot get through (wait times in excess of 30 min. and now they're closed for the holiday weekend). If anyone can help me figure this out, I'll be beyond happy. Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.

Posted by
4140 posts

Roy, your post finally motivated me to register for the site . My wife and myself are very old rick fans back to the late seventies . In our first two trips to europe since 2010 his advice and insight has proved invaluable as has this posting board. Last summer { 2011 ) prior to our trip to France I purchased a Garmin 2370 with pre loaded european maps. I experienced the exact same difficulties as yourself. The short answer is that you need to wait until after the weekend and get a garmin rep on the phone . The gentleman who helped me out of the same pickle explained that because all the other european languages ( including russian ) were pre - loaded into the device there was not enough room for the s. He then expertly walked me through the process of deleting the superflous languages which made adequate room for the s. The device performed perfectly ( aside from normal glitches ) during our five weeks and 2,000 miles in France . I would have been dead without it. Tuesday and succor is close at hand . Best wishes . Steve

Posted by
4140 posts

For some reason only the s came through in two places. Those should be " updates " , Steve

Posted by
409 posts

Thanks, Steve - you've listed my spirits! Now it just seems that getting hold of a Garmin rep will be the difficulty. I kept getting this recording "Due to unprecedented call demand, your wait will be in excess of 30 minutes." ADD MORE REPS ALREADY!!!

Posted by
6788 posts

Roy, I had the exact same experience with my Garmin Nuvi 275T. We had the maps for both North America and Europe, when I tried to , I could download them to my computer (long, long downloads, BTW, don't leave that until the last minute), but got the same messages about not having enough space. I went out and bought a micro SIM, too, but when I tried installing the maps, it told me (only then) that you can't store maps on SIMs on this model (then why did they try to sell me a SIM when there wasn't enough room?). What I ended up doing was to install the map s for Europe, but not for North America. After I get back from the trip (I'm in Europe now), I'll install the North America , since I wont need the European data for a while. But I like your idea of deleting the unneeded languages better - I will have to look into that. It's a great unit for a European trip - really makes driving in foreign lands a lot easier. Have a great trip.

Posted by
1568 posts

I have the Garmin 780 and have download maps before with no problem. The last time I tried downloading over and over again...it said something like insufficient memory. Then the last time I chose....download to both device and computer.....worked...without buying another chip. I would imagine the downloaded maps are somewhere on your computer. Do a search for them. It will take hours to download ... and I have a very fast computer. I would imagine it will work faster if your are on cable rather than wireless.

Posted by
409 posts

Thanks, JB. It does appear that my European maps are on my laptop's desktop. How do I then transfer them to my Garmin device?