Please sign in to post.

Private Messages

Am a bit confused when responding to private messages. I reply and see the message that my response has been sent but am unable to see my actual response. If the person who sent the PM does not respond to my answer, I don't know if they ever received it. Am I doing something wrong? Is there something I have to set up in order to see my answer once it's sent? I have asked a few people to let me know that they received my answer but have never had a response. Does anyone else have this issue?

Posted by
6759 posts

Yes, I think that's how it works. Save your text elsewhere on your computer until you get a response?

Posted by
9011 posts

You are doing everything right.
Once you send your message you can't read it again until you get an answer. It is one of the things I wish the website could change. Sometimes I wish to read what I wrote, but if they haven't answered me, then it isn't possible.

If you want to test it, send me a message.

Posted by
1524 posts

Thanks for your quick responses! I just wanted to be sure my responses weren't going into a black hole. Will PM you Ms.Jo just to be sure!

Thanks again!

Posted by
1524 posts

MrsEB. Yes, it is. Especially if you can't remember if you responded or not!

Posted by
11613 posts

I agree, it would be great if the PM file had a "Sent" box.

Posted by
5258 posts

I agree, it would be nice to see my sent messages, because I also forget if I already responded or not, especially when I don't get a reply.

Posted by
11613 posts

Another thing would be a "Drafts" box, so I could check other sources for details (train/bus info, opening times, official booking sites) before replying. This would be helpful in the forums as well.

Posted by
19156 posts

In addition to no record of what you have sent, you can't send attachments, only links.

Posted by
2650 posts

this has been brought up before and I have asked about it also,I think it is one of the things to be considered next time an upgrade to the forums goes through.
I certainly would like to refer back to some of the messages I have sent to people .

Posted by
8889 posts

Another thing would be a "Drafts" box, so I could check other sources for details (train/bus info, opening times, official booking sites) before replying. This would be helpful in the forums as well.

Zoe, that is already a feature of most browsers. Just open another tab to do your other searching etc.

I too agree it is a pain not being able to see what you sent until (if) the person replies.

Posted by
11613 posts

Thanks, Chris, I have done that. Sometimes my search involves going to other sources (my own notes, business cards, maps, etc.), and it takes a long time (perhaps more than a day) of brief searches before I can put together a response. A "drafts" box would let me complete the reply.

Posted by
2092 posts

When I don't hear back from a newbie, I always wonder if they know to look for their private messages. Don't know how it could be more noticeable but it doesn't stand out.

Posted by
2650 posts

I do get an e-Mail alert when I get a message or an answer from a message.

Posted by
1524 posts

Well it looks like a simple question generated a lot of suggestions.

A couple of points: To get a notice of private message or when someone responds to a post you must check the boxes in your profile. To set up, click on your name and on edit profile. It could be not everyone is aware of this.

As to the other points raised, as Unclegus said, it's possible some will be addressed in a future update of this system. Until then, we soldier on :).

Posted by
32249 posts

I don't know what the technical details are, but wonder if creating a "Sent" box could add a lot to the data storage requirements of the RS Servers?

If you person replies, that provides a record of the "sent" message.

Posted by
7061 posts

"If you person replies, that provides a record of the "sent" message"

I think that's what everyone's saying Ken - if the person you sent the message to doesn't respond, you have no record of what you said or even if you sent it at all, maybe you accidentally deleted it without realizing it.

It's been a while since the major updates to the forum, wonder if any new changes/updates are being planned. As annoying as not having a way to view 'sent' messages is, I'd rather see improvements to the 'search' function, like maybe being able to sort the results by date (hint, hint if you're reading this webmaster).

Posted by
2393 posts

It is annoying to not have a sent folder. I always open them up in a new tab and don't close the tab until I reply - it can be days.