Please sign in to post.

Priority Pass for Airport Lounges

I follow Sarah Murdoch, one of Rick Steve’s guides, and on her current trip she encouraged people to check out Priority Pass to get access to airport lounges. You pay a yearly fee and then each time you use the lounge you pay a small fee. As I was researching, I noticed in some of the comments about various lounges that people with Priority Passes were not allowed in, being told that the lounge was full, or only being allowed in at certain times. I wondered if anyone on this forum had experience with the Priority Pass? I’m a very nervous flyer and I’m always looking for ways to make things more comfortable and this initially sounded like a very good thing, but now I’m wondering if it would be worth it if certain airport lounges didn’t honor the pass or only honored at certain times.

Posted by
5326 posts

As Priority Pass doesn't run its own lounges but relies on third parties and to a lesser extent these days airlines to provide them under a contract their availability varies a lot on location. Some lounges prioritise their own members and/or direct payers over PP. So it depends really which you intend to use to get the best value.

Posted by
8363 posts

Kristen, I have Priority Pass through my credit card. I have been refused entry at an Alaska Airlines Lounge in Seattle while they still participated in the program, but have never had any difficulties being admitted at the two other Seattle Lounges or in airport lounges throughout Europe and US.

I think that you can get better value if you are interested in Priority Pass by having a credit card that includes membership than by buying membership directly. Mine is ChaseSapphire Reserve. They charge you a significant fee, but then provide credits and perks that make it more than pay for itself.
In addition, Priority pass through the credit card has no additional fees per visit.

Posted by
177 posts

I have PP thru my AE card. Only tried to use one time in Madrid and was told that the lounge was full. Then couple walks up and get in . It wasn't worth the trouble of finding the lounge so will probably will not bother to try in the future

Posted by
11 posts

We also have Priority Pass through our credit card. We have successfully used it for lounges in Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, and Rome. Once you have the app on your phone you can look up available lounges for many airports. Sometimes the lounges are connected to a specific airline, but more often they are not.

We have been very pleased with the lounges we have used. For example, we arrived in Rome on an early flight and had four hours before our flight to Pallermo. Access to the lounge in Terminal C allowed us to relax, have some breakfast (and a first capuccino!), and freshen up in a quiet atmosphere.

Posted by
1025 posts

It's overall a good deal if you travel more than a couple times a year. No luck in Los Angeles, but the lounges in Montreal and Rome were great. At $90 something per membership, you get entry for two at a lot of places. I'd pay more than that if the lounges wouldn't play the "we're full" card. With the PP and another loyalty lounge plan, it makes travel much more civilized.

Posted by
1324 posts

I had one through a credit card and got the we’re full far too often.

Posted by
7284 posts

I don't have it, but when we left Aruba last week, I could see that every seat in the private lounge product was taken. But that happens in United clubs as well.

Posted by
7529 posts

I think the issue of being turned away due to capacity is a real concern. It is not that the Lounge is "full" but that the lounge is busy, so they reserve the room for their clients, as opposed to Priority Pass members, basically you are second class.

Having Delta lounge access, I can tell you many times they are packed, I doubt you would get in one with Priority Pass more than once in a while. Of course Delta is now tightening their access (taking some access off cards, upping day pass fees) so maybe it will improve.

Posted by
21 posts

For people who drink alcohol, it's much better value, as sometimes there are bars in the lounges, with no extra fee.

Posted by
4309 posts

My husband also has Delta Pass and as Paul said, they are often packed.

Posted by
3517 posts

It's a gamble if they will even let you in with the Priority Pass. Their own club members (for airline owned clubs) come first.

I have even seen the United clubs turn away people who have United Club day passes because the club was too full. These are passes bought directly from United. I have not yet seen a club turn away any traveler who was a full member of that airline's club program.

The airlines have made it so easy to get into the club for their passengers that thy always seem packed almost to overflowing. It is always difficult to find a seat. But if you do get in and find a seat, the clubs do offer a relaxing spot with (usually) included refreshments. The best part of being in the club is that the airlines staff the help counter with senior ticketing agents who know how to do things and have the authority to do them to get you rebooked during bad weather or other stoppages faster than you can do it yourself on the web page. This alone makes membership worth the cost if you fly a lot.

Posted by
9560 posts

So funny that you posted this Kristen, I had been looking at Priority Pass and different reviews of it after her FB post too. I think I am way too cheap for this ever to be a good deal for me.

Posted by
521 posts

I’m actually a little disappointed, it sounded like such a great thing, but now I’m realizing that unless I have a credit card where the pass is free, it probably isn’t the best idea.

Posted by
5697 posts

Comes with Chase Sapphire Reserve card -- we have only been able to use Priority Pass at SFO once (lovely Air France lounge -- but we usually fly United which is on the opposite side and would require two trips through security) and one long (four hour) layover in an excellent Swiss Air lounge in Zurich. We haven't experienced being shut out -- yet.

Posted by
84 posts

I have priority pass for 3 years and so far haven't been turned away
a couple of times , no lounges in the airport I was in
its great value if you travel more then twice a year and like to drink as most lounges have no limit on booze

Posted by
2299 posts

hey hey kristen
last year we found a deal on groupon at oakland ca airport. maybe you can check if you have for NY on groupon, look at expiration. didn't want to be too early since we had 120 days to use it.
at CDG in terminal 1 a star alliance lounge package for $33 or salon ICARE for $39 at loungebuddy.com
yes there are restrictions, seems like between 8am to 2pm no allowance, guess their busier times and reserved for first class passengers, 3 hour access. it was nice to sit down, have some breakfast food to eat and cocktails before our 2pm flight. it was crowded.
check the dates, times and availability, most seem to be elite or other high credentials. if you decide, print out after confirmation and bring with you. first girl had no clue what paper confirmation was (DUH), called manager and we went right in.
hope this info helps out.
aloha

Posted by
162 posts

I own timeshare and I am a member of Interval International. With my Platinum membership, Priority Pass fee is free but you have to pay $32 each time you go into a lounge. I have used it a few times with no problem. It is really only worth it if you are going to have a long layover.