Please sign in to post.

prescriptions

can you get a prescription from the USA filled in the U.K.?

Posted by
3428 posts

No. 'Our' doctors are not licensed in the UK. In fact, it is difficult or impossible to get a prescription written by a doctor in one state filled in another state here in the US.

If you can't get your pharmacy and insurance to work out enough medication for your trip, have your doctor write a letter explaining your diagnosis and prescription. He should use the brand, generic and if possible the chemical names, as not all medications have the same names in different countries. You can then take this to a UK physician and try to get them to write a prescription for you to have filled there.

However, I have found that if my pharmacist calls my insurance company and explains about my travel, they will authorize a one time dispensation for him to give me more 'pills' etc. to take with me.

Posted by
362 posts

I second what the above poster said. Definitely have your regular pharmacy call the insurance company and see if they can make a one time exception. Unless it's a controlled substance or a high $$ item, the PMB may give an override for an additional supply for a trip (depending on your state and individual insurance policy's terms, of course.)

ETA: If the pharmacy can't help, discuss the issue with your doctor who may be able to provide another option while you travel.

Posted by
8041 posts

The laws governing drug prescriptions are different everywhere. That being said, you never know some things you need a prescription for in USA are available over the counter elsewhere at costs significantly less; for example I was able to get Albuterol over the counter in Mexico for $10 compared to the USA where I need a prescription and it costs me three times that .so you have to do little research and in your favor you do't have to worry about a figuring things out in a foreign language.

Posted by
18642 posts

In my travels Mexico had been the exception to the rule. I have a condition that requires a significant amount of need to keep me among the living and a couple of times I have had to get them in Europe. That required little more than a visit to a private clinic, a brief exam and an explanation of the problem. The doctors have been inexpensive and do have the meds. So much so that I get a lot of routine medical and dental work done in Europe on a regular basis.

Posted by
11613 posts

You can ask for a "vacation override" from your insurance company. Be prepared for several phone calls before they agree.

Another option is to forgo the insurance authorization altogether, and pay out-of-pocket for the additional quantity. You may have to get a 30-day supply.

I have gotten vacation overrides for pricey non-generics.

James E's suggestion will work, too, but you may be prescribed a drug you are not familiar with.

Posted by
18642 posts

I have an advantage as every trip involves the same European city whet I buy my meds for the trip. I responded in with regards to the eventuality that someone looses their med. Not terribly convenient, but very cheap and easy to get them replaced.

There is one drug I use that is not widely available and that could become a problem. The other four have been absolutely identical. The cost has been sustantially lower than the cost of the out of pocket portion on my insurance in the US. This is a big deal as meds that cost me $200 a month less than 10 years ago now cost $800, but I can still buy them in Europe for as little as $200.

Unfortunately Uncle Sam won't let you bring back more than a few weeks supply.

Posted by
12172 posts

I can't add much other than to say that some things that are prescription here are OTC in Europe. Pharmacists seem to have a lot more authority in Europe, so visiting a pharmacist is always a good first step.

If that doesn't work, a visit to a doctor isn't that expensive.

I think the best idea is to do a little extra work before your trip to carry enough medicine to get you through the trip.

It's always a good idea to have a letter from your doctor explaining your medications, with generic drug names, and why you need them. No matter how prepared you are, there is always the possibility of losing your meds while on vacation.

Posted by
5037 posts

Just some general thoughts. Discuss with your doctor the possibility of prescribing a 90 day supply rather than a shorter period. That should give enough to have a main supply and have a back up supply. Discuss with your regular pharmacist. Our experience has been that with advance notice they will contact the insurance and get a vacation override.

Posted by
656 posts

I take 3 blood pressure meds daily. I always make sure I have plenty for my trips. Contact your pcp if you think you will not have enough and see what they suggest. Talk to your pharmacist as well. They are there for your health.

Posted by
73 posts

I bought one of my blood pressure meds in Spain with no problem and no prescription. Stopped at a pharmacy and told them what I needed. It may have been Portgual, but it was one of the two

I live in Mexico and none of my meds here require a prescription, though they did in the US

Posted by
117 posts

thanks for all the response. my husband takes insulin so we have to check out taking a months worth for our trip to u.k.