Please sign in to post.

Prescription Medications

I am having trouble finding any guidance on the TSA web site about how to carry my prescription medications. Do they have to be in the prescription bottles that you buy them in or can they be packed in pill boxes? Thank you!

Posted by
9100 posts

It's not a TSA issue, rather it's covered by Customs regulations.
Legally you're supposed to keep all medications in their original container with the label. But entering Europe Customs checks are rare. If you're just bringing along just enough to cover your time in Europe, it's not a big deal to use pill boxes. But if you have anything leftover and you're selected for a hand search by US customs reentering the country, you could get hassled. It's happened to me at Newark Airport.

Posted by
864 posts

As previously posted it's a Customs issue not a TSA issue (unless your meds are liquid/gels). I always take the amount I will expect to use plus a extra week (those pesky volcanic eruptions, coups, strikes etc.) I was in Paris on 9/11 and the pharmacy was authorized to give me an additional weeks worth of my prescription because I had it in a recently dated pharmacy issued bottle. You just never know. I'm just addressing prescription meds here.

Posted by
1568 posts

This what I have always done and never had a problem with customs. I am 70 so perhaps they understand we take more meds. I fill each day of the week with my meds and carry the prescription for each from my pharmacists. They have always gone with me in my carry on.

Posted by
85 posts

I just recently returned from 3 weeks in Europe and take two precription medications. One is in its own foil packet that you pop the pill out of so it comes in a sheet of about 12 pills. Because the name of the pill is on the back of the foil packet I just put them in a baggie. The other medication I just put into a little travel bottle (bring some extra as other people mentioned-you never know) Then I brought a copy of my prescription. All prescription pills are numbered or lettered so it is easy to find out what they are from a customs point of view. And your prescription will help in that as well as be important if you loose the meds or get really delayed. To be honest with you I sailed through customs all over Europe without as much as anyone even questioning me so you should not have any problem. The only thing I brought in its original bottle was the herb Saw Palmetto that my husband takes. It is just in a capsule and could be anything (if you know what I mean) so I did bring the original bottle for that.

Posted by
1167 posts

I think there is too much worry about this. Unless you are carrying commercial quantities of controlled substances there is no need to worry.