Please sign in to post.

Prescription Drugs

Hi all:

My older parents are traveling to Rome/Germany in October... they take quite a few meds and supplements. Usually they travel with them in a pill box, you know that has each day of the week.

Will they need to have all of the meds in original bottles when they travel? Or is there another option? It would be quite a few bottles....

Thanks!
Kim

Posted by
23547 posts

The standard recommendation is in the bottles with labels or plastic bag with label. If it is a highly regulated Rx then I would take the bottle. But I don't think that is really necessary. We have carried lots of vits, supplements, etc in plastic bags with no questions asked. So I didn't think it makes an difference leaving the US because is TSA is not checked for those items, and European customs could care less since customs is only a walk through the green door. The problem could be returning to the US since you do have to go through customs in the US. But by that time most of our pills are gone we don't have a large quantity of anything. It is sometimes tougher getting back into the US than leaving.

I would take a prescription with the generic name of the drugs should something happen that they need a replacement while traveling. It would help the local doctor in prescribing what they would need.

Posted by
135 posts

Hi-

I've often wondered about the same thing. I keep some of my meds in a pill box and some in their bottles. Never had even a comment from TSA or customs in a foreign country. Interested in hearing what others say on this topic. Buon viaggio!

Posted by
5142 posts

Kim, Liquid meds do not have to go in the 311 bag. If you are taking RX pills this is what we do to save space & weight. Have the pharmacist print out extra labels. Put the pills in a freezer zip lock and put the extra label on it. Take the original data sheet that comes with the RX with you to show that it is for you. We have been to many European countries and have never had a problem. There are some state laws that require prescription meds to be in original containers, but they are rarely enforced and I can only remember reading about one case in the last 20 years. Hope this helps. TC

Posted by
63 posts

If they take the bottles, have the pharmacy put the meds in the smallest available containers and then put all containers in a baggie. Or, if they don't need/want to take bottles, have them take current copies of their prescriptions. This is a good idea, anyway. It has also been suggested to have the prescriptions listed in their generic form (the formula) in case they need refills overseas, where the meds may be available but under a different name.

Posted by
552 posts

There have been tons of other threads on this topic in the past. A few years ago, I remember a nurse and a flight attendant agreeing that the biggest problem would arise in a crisis situation when those trying to help are confronted with a bunch of pills and no dosing directions.

Having a heart condition that's kept controlled with medication, I too take all my pills, pre-organized, in a tray/box for that purpose. So now, I just tape all the prescriptions and dosing info to the back of this tray.

Posted by
3428 posts

Here is the answer I've posted before:
TSA does NOT require that meds be in original bottle or label. Whether or not inspectors in other countries will worry about how you have your pills organized is always a question. Personally, I've never had a problem taking meds into other countries for my personal use (and we've had more than 40 international trips- and I take a large number of medications)
It is the INFORMATION that is important- more in case you have a medical emergency, or need a refill (lost meds, trip extended...) You should have the brand name of the medication (ambien, etc.) and the generic name, and if no generic, a "chemical" name as brand names are not always the same. You also need to dose size and frequency (ex. 10 mg. tablets, 2 tablets 3 times a day).

There are lots of ways to organize your meds. You can ask your pharmacist to print you an extra label (or use the one they give you that is with the 'side effects" printout) and put it on a small Ziploc bag, then put the medication in the bag. Put all the small bags into one larger bag. Alternatively, some pharmacies will prepare blister packs with all your meds grouped according to when you take them (example, day 1, am in one blister, day 1 lunch next, day 1 pm next, etc)and put all labels on the top of the sheet. You could use a pill organizer and put the labels from the pharmacy on one sheet of paper and keep it with the organizer. Or just take the printouts that the pharmacy gives you when you pick up your prescriptions.

I carry an information sheet with the above info (one for me , one for hubby)and I also list my Dr's phone #s, pharmacy's #, and emergency contact info as well a list medical conditions, surgeries /dates. If you become ill while traveling, or need a refill because you lost meds, etc. it could be vital. Feel free to private message me with your email address if you want a sample copy of the info sheet. Also, note that liquid meds of more than 3 oz should NOT be placed in your 3-1-1 bag, but should be in their own baggie, in original bottle. This should be identifies to the TSA agent. Also if you use a CPAP, nebulizer, etc, these devices must be declared and removed for separate screening. Most airlines don't count these bags in # of allowed carry-ons.

Posted by
5426 posts

Typical advice from European customs is to recommend drugs in their original packaging, but not to absolutely require it.

Posted by
19524 posts

I have a bum ticker so on our 2 or 3 trips to Europe each year I carry a small pharmacy. The bottle would just take to much room so I have a day of the week pouch thing, but instead of the does for each day I just put each drug in a separate pouch and then I have cut out the prescription information for the receipt that comes with each drug and I put that in the pouch too. After maybe 30 trips to Europe I have never been questioned one way or another. No one has ever looked at them or asked to look at them, or anything. Not in the US, or any other country from the UK to the Black Sea

Posted by
9109 posts

Returning to the US I was once selected for a hand search of my bags at Newark Airport. I did not have pharmacy labels on my medications, and got a big time chewing out for it. The medication in question was an asthma Inhaler, and a nose spray for hay fever. Both of course had the factory labels on them clearly showing what the medication was, but they wanted the pharmacy labels, that's all they cared about. Nothing was confiscated, I didn't get fined or strip searched but it did give them an excuse look through my dirty clothes even more thoroughly, delaying me big time. Fortunately Newark was my final destination, but if I had a connecting flight to make there is a good chance I would have missed it. Always best to comply with the law.

Posted by
3428 posts

@ Michael- That's just the problem- THERE IS NO LAW ABOUT THIS ISSUE. In fact, there isn't even a written government policy. Each TSA agent can make it up as they go. EVEN THOUGH the TSA website specifically says that medication do NOT have to be in original containers, and you DO NOT have to have documentation for them.

Posted by
9369 posts

Ventolin asthma inhalers are available over the counter at Spanish pharmacies and they are extremely inexpensive, so when I go to Spain I buy several to bring home. I don't have a prescription label on the one I carry there from the US, nor are there labels on the ones I purchase. No one has ever questioned them.

Posted by
19524 posts

Keep in mind, what I do is what I do. I don't say it's smart or in accordance with the rules. I can get some of my meds at better prices in Europe so I did research the laws. You may purchase meds overseas for use overseas, and you may bring back the left overs from that purpose. You may not purchase and import drugs available in the US for your use in the US unless you can prove something that is not provable (too long to get into). But you may bring in drugs that are NOT available in the US. Huh?

Posted by
9109 posts

@Toni

Each TSA agent can make it up as they go.

The TSA has nothing to do with it. It was a customs check performed by a customs officer. Of course there are laws covering this. Certain medications require a prescription from a doctor in this country, if one didn't have the pharmacy label how are law enforcement supposed to know it it was legally purchased by the person it was it was actually prescribed to; be it at a border check or a domestic traffic stop.
From the US Customs website (http://tinyurl.com/ol2xcj8):

"...Prescription medications should be in their original containers with the doctor's prescription printed on the container. It is advised that you travel with no more than personal use quantities, a rule of thumb is no more than a 90 day supply. If your medications or devices are not in their original containers, you must have a copy of your prescription with you or a letter from your doctor. A valid prescription or doctors note is required on all medication entering the U.S...."