Please sign in to post.

Preplanning for June 2019- help us focus

We're planning way ahead, for our 20th anniversary in June 2019. We'll be travelling with our daughters, who will be 15 and 17 at the time. My husband has been to Spain in high school, the rest of us went to Europe for the first time for our 15th anniversary, when we went to London and Paris for a week each.
We'll have 2 weeks (could include weekends, so as many as 16 days) for travel, and it will be in early June. We like to travel on our own, but are open to doing a day tour in countries where we don't speak the language (DH speaks fairly fluent Spanish, we all speak a little French, and I'm learning German, but am in the extremely rudimentary stages). We enjoy castles, and cathedrals, museums (art- not really modern, but most others, science and natural history), enjoy outdoorsy/nature things (but are not extreme athletes). We enjoy cultural history, but are not big on military history. We're also into music, including classical music. The girls are probably more adventurous eaters than most of their peers, but they (along with DH) don't eat beef or pork, which I know can be limiting in some places.

So the places we've considered: Ireland, Scotland, Wales and the English countryside (could easily spend another day in London, but saw enough last time we'd be ok to miss it).

We've also considered doing more of central Europe. DH would enjoy Spain, although it has never been high on my must see list. We'd all enjoy France (central probably, to see chateaus and the countryside). I've always wanted to see Bavaria and the alps (although it's not on DH's must do list). I think we'd all enjoy Austria, and I've heard Prague is beautiful, although I had never considered it until the last couple years, so I don't know much about it. Italy is kind of second tier- we'd all enjoy it, but wouldn't set out just to go to Italy. Same thing with the Greek Isles.

So...what I'm looking for is guidance on what's feasible (if we go to Ireland, how easy is it to get over to England/Scotland/Wales, and how much of each could we do, or...if we do Central Europe, how many different stops is too much). Also, if anything I've said about us or our travel likes make you stop and say "Oh, you'd HATE x, don't go there, or you HAVE to go to Y" let me know. I tend to way over plan and have a hard time dialing back...

Posted by
516 posts

I encourage you to focus on either Ireland or Scotland. We spent 15 nights in Ireland when our children were the ages of yours and could have easily stayed longer! Our initial plan involved splitting our time between England and Ireland; limiting ourselves one country turned out to be a wise choice. As you plan be sure to build in a couple of "down days"-time for a load of laundry or for your girls to just relax at the place where you are staying. Enjoy planning your trip!

Posted by
11294 posts

"Also, if anything I've said about us or our travel likes make you stop and say "Oh, you'd HATE x, don't go there, or you HAVE to go to Y" let me know. I tend to way over plan and have a hard time dialing back..."

Alas, I can't make your planning any easier, because I think you're being quite reasonable. You're starting early, and nothing you've posted is a red flag to me. And with 16 days, none of your suggestions is way out of line as an initial idea for the time you have

I will even make it harder by saying that no place you've suggested requires extensive non-English skills, although of course the more of a local language you can speak or understand, the more you get out of a trip. And while there's lots of beef and pork on menus, there's also lots of other choices.

The one thing I'll say is that getting between Great Britain and Ireland either involves a short flight or much of the day (getting to ferry terminal, ferry itself, getting from ferry terminal). There's so much to see in either Ireland or Great Britain that you will probably have a better (and certainly easier) trip if you limit it to one or the other. If you are interested in Great Britain outside of London, remember that you don't even have to use London's airports if they're not the most convenient. Look into flights from your home to Manchester, Glasgow, Birmingham, or Edinburgh (you didn't say where you're flying from, so this may or may not require connections). Similarly, if you do want to combine Ireland and Great Britain, there are flights from all kinds of Irish airports to all kinds of GB airports; there's no need to backtrack extensively.

To find out who flies where from a particular airport (very useful in planning), look at that airport's Wikipedia page - a great trick I learned on this Forum!

If you want some ideas for Glasgow, Manchester, and Edinburgh, here's my report from September 2016: https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/trip-reports/uk-trip-report-glasgow-manchester-liverpool-in-september-2016

Posted by
1241 posts

So many choices, I know how hard it is to decide. Consider that wherever you start, you may have to fly to your next destination. Check out the site https://www.rome2rio.com for travel distances, using all modes of transportation.

Posted by
3400 posts

We enjoy castles, and cathedrals, museums (art- not really modern, but most others, science and natural history), enjoy outdoorsy/nature things (but are not extreme athletes). We enjoy cultural history, but are not big on military history. We're also into music, including classical music

Based on this, Vienna sounds perfect for you! Our trip to Vienna started in Paris for one night to cure jet lag; then two nights in Strasbourg for a taste of Alsace; Munich for 4 nights; and Vienna for 5 nights.

Posted by
5149 posts

Strongly advise a sit down family meeting for the sole purpose of getting DH and daughters very involved in the planning. With four people who have diverse interest, no one is going to get to go to / see / do everything they want. And everybody is going to have to go to / see / do something they're not crazy about. But the more involved everyone is in the planning the better trip you'll have. After the meetings (there should be more than one) and you have a rough draft so to speak, then we can help you fine tune things. Since you "... tend to way over plan..." consider building in "unplanned time" to allow for the spontaneous fun things you never thought about that always seem to pop up.

Posted by
6713 posts

Like Harold, I don't see any "red flag" issues. With two weeks I'd stick to one region. Flying "open jaw" into one city and home from another (multi-city option on airline websites) will save you the time and cost of backtracking in Europe. Try to spend at least two or three nights in every city, or more if it's a big city, so you don't have to pack and unpack and spend time finding hotels and getting around. And example for 14 days (with a transatlantic day at each end) might be Prague-Vienna-Budapest with 4-5 nights each, or Oxford-York-Durham-Edinburgh with 3-4 nights each, or Bayeux-Amboise-Sarlat with 4-5 nights each. You get the idea.

Posted by
17244 posts

We did a wonderful two-week trip in the U.K. in May of 2014 that included all of your wishes. I called it the “UK sampler”as we visited England, Scotland, and .wales, with a mix of city (museums, cathedrals and culture) and countryside ( scenic beauty, castles, walking).

We traveled by train on the route London : York : Edinburgh : Highlands ( Bridge of Orchy): Glasgow : Wales: London. You would minimize time in London as you have been there. There are lovely cathedrals in York and elsewhere nearby ( Durham). Edinburgh has a fantastic science/ natural history/ culture museum and a castle, Wales abounds with castles. Glasgow has the Charles Rennie Macintosh architecture and design sites, plus a very interesting Transport museum. Talented buskers on the pedestrian street in Glasgow.

Lots of great food including seafood, wonderful vegetables, and other dishes that appeal no those who eschew red meat. Lovely scenery and walking everywhere, including within Edinburgh ( Arthur’s Seat), the Highlands, and Wales.

In Scotland and Wales, people sitting near us in restaurants often wanted to talk with us after hearing our American accents, and that was nice. We exchanged contact information and are still in touch with some of them.

Austria might work too, but note that Vienna has palaces, not castles.

Posted by
3259 posts

So what are your thoughts, Eleanor? Do any of these suggestions appeal to you and your family?

Posted by
3480 posts

Harold, thank you for the airport tip! I have wondered several times which airlines fly into which airports! Great tip!

Posted by
48 posts

Definitely some helpful trips, especially the ones about considering transportation. I think if we do go the Northern route, we'll probably focus on Ireland, since it was our mutual love of Celtic music that initially brought my husband and I together :) The other thing that might be a factor though, between Ireland and a continental trip is weather- if we end up going in early June, we found last time, that London in early June was a bit cooler than we wanted for our summer vacation. If scheduling conflicts make us schedule in July, that could be a draw for Ireland :)
As far as involving the girls- I wish I could. They're not particularly helpful in the early planning stages- they tend to be better at "which of these castles do you want to visit" not which of these countries do I want to visit, and I really don't want to plan an itinerary for every single place we might visit in order to get their input on which places we should go. My husband and I are thinking of rating possible destinations in order of interest, though, so we can get an idea of which places hold the most common interest. Maybe we'll watch some videos with the girls, too, to see if it sparks anything.

Posted by
5149 posts

With regard to "...As far as involving the girls...", what can anyone say other than just love them and hope for the best.