Please sign in to post.

Prague to Munich

My parents are traveling from Prague to Munich in a few months. As they are in their seventies, they are trying to go direct from city to city. They were thinking of the train but one of their friends mentioned she had to take a bus and a train..no idea is this is true or not. I’m trying to help them as mt parents seem to have trouble on the Czech rail site.
If I choose direct connection-does that mean there is no change of trains? Also, the site allows me to reserve a train but not a seat. I’m worried as I don’t want my parents to have to run for a seat. Can sears be reserved? Thanks.

Posted by
14580 posts

Hi,

Between Munich and Prague does exist a direct connection, a day train, very convenient, no need to change trains. That's the train I plan to take in late May when I get to Munich. Look at the Deutsche Bahn (German National Rail) website. The train departs/arrives from/at the very end of the station, (Gleis/track # 23), ie, next to the Yorma's (blue and yellow signs) grocery market, on the Arnuft Straße side of the station exits.

Posted by
27373 posts

There's a no-transfer train departing at 9:33 AM (I checked a weekday) and arriving at 3:18 PM. I do not see any indication that one can reserve seats on that train, and it takes 5 hr. 45 min. There are similar options departing at 11:33 AM, 1:33 PM and 3:33 PM.

There's a bus departing at 10:15 AM and arriving at 2:55 PM. Although buses can be subject to traffic delays, 4 hr. 40 min. on the bus sounds better than a train trip scheduled to take 65 minutes longer. And seats on the bus can be reserved. There's a later bus at 1:50 PM, but it takes somewhat longer, arriving at 6:55 PM.

There are some later bus and train options, but I'm assuming they will prefer to arrive before dark. I hate trying to locate a hotel after nightfall.

The bus may also be quite a bit cheaper than the train--though I only looked at the Deutsche Bahn website, not the Czech equivalent.

Posted by
19156 posts

As I read their website, CK shuttle charges 2400 Kc, about 95 euro, per person, for the trip. In no way would I ever recommend such an over-priced option.

"There are Fernbuses, a service of the German Rail, in 4hr40 from Prague to Munich. The walk up price is 70 euro p/P, but with advanced purchase, you can get the trip for as low as 20 euro p/P. Tickets include a seat reservation.

There are also direct trains every two hours between Prague and Munich. The trip takes a little longer, 5Hr45. If you have a Bayern-Böhmen-Ticket, you can travel on any regional train between Pilsen and Munich for 28 euro for the first person, 6,40 euro for each additional traveler, up to five total.

You will still need a local, Czech Rail ticket from Prague to Pilsen for about 4 euro per person.

Reservations are not possible on these train, but these are big trains and reservations are not normally needed.

Posted by
3392 posts

Just to add a bit more information...any road route (the shuttle) will most likely take quite a lot longer than the train. Traffic can be awful since there is no motorway/freeway that goes the entire way between Munich and Prague...most of it is two-lane roads that can be quite congested. Last time I drove it, it took FOREVER! I highly suggest that they take the train.

Posted by
356 posts

The train from Prague to Munich takes forever. It is 5 hours 45 minutes on the direct train, or 5 hours 10 minutes with a change in Nurnberg.

Flixbus offer up to seven direct buses a day (leaving from Prague Main Railway Station), with the average journey time of just five hours. They operate large double-decker buses, with WiFi, electric sockets and on-board snacks. Seats are cheaper when booked in advance.

Flixbus.com

Posted by
2388 posts

So the differene between 5 hours and "forever" is 45 min.? For my taste, the train is way more convenient than the bus (esp. if it is full) and landscapewise the train route is much nicer than the boring motorway with it's views on ... trucks. Nontheless, there is of course a direct motorway between Prague and Munich.

BTW, never buy a train ticket from the DB website for that connection. They offer the international standard fare only (€70+). The e-shop af the Czech Railways offers (train specific) tickets from approx. €15.

Posted by
1152 posts

I agree with the advice about buying tickets on the Czech site versus the German one. We did and saved a lot.

The Czech tickets can seem confusing, but you can get a first class seat for much less than you'd think. I suggest checking out the seat61.com web site for advice on navigating the train routes.