Please sign in to post.

Prague

We are going to Prague in September, what do people recommend for day trips?

Posted by
811 posts

Here are a few suggestions, both of what I've done as a day trip and what I'd researched as possible day trips for when I'm in Prague: Have done: Plzen: home of the Pilsner Urquell brewery, where you can take a tour. Also home of the (some say) third largest synagogue in the world. Kutna Hora: home of the ossuary/bone church (which is technically next door in Sedlec), and home of St. Barbara's Cathedral, which, and I mean no disrespect to anyone, looked like a giant big top to me. Pretty cool. Have researched: Terezin: a concentration camp located about 30 miles NW of Prague Karlstejn Castle: giant castle located out in the countryside Karlovy Vary: a spa town situated on a river that, from the pictures I've seen, looks very picturesque. Dresden, Germany: I've been to Dresden before, and wanted to visit again but felt it wouldn't be served well by only a day trip. However, it is possible to get there and back in a day if you are on limited time and want to see it. There is obviously more to see/do in the locations listed above, but I was just giving a couple of highlights for each. Additionally, there are many more day trip options, and if you Google Day Trips from Prague you'll end up with more suggestions than you'll have time. The tricky part is narrowing down your options! Good luck!

Posted by
813 posts

Karlovy Vary is a favorite. Yes it's a great spa town, but the shopping for garnet jewelry and crystal chandeliers is even better.

Posted by
5 posts

We recommend;Lidice (German: Liditz) is a village in the Czech Republic just northwest of Prague. It is built on the site of a previous village of the same name which, as part of the Nazi-created Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia, was, on orders directly from Heinrich Himmler, completely destroyed by German forces in reprisal for the assassination of Reinhard Heydrich in the late spring of 1942. On June 10, 1942, all 192 men over 16 years of age from the village were murdered on the spot by the Germans in a much publicised atrocity. The rest of the population were sent to Nazi concentration camps where many women and nearly all the children were killed.
It is a very moving place and can be reached by bus....