Please sign in to post.

Potential Problems for European River Cruises in 2023

There was some discussion here about low water levels in the Rhine last fall, and the effects of that on various tourist river cruises. Regrettably the following appeared in the Economist in a recent issue:

"The Alps are Europe’s water tower. They provide 25-50% of the water running through the continent’s main rivers, the Danube, the Po, the Rhine and the Rhone. With so little snow to melt in the coming months, river levels are likely to be unusually low, and with them water supplies for the people and the plants along their banks."

This will be a major economic challenge for shipping as well as tourism.

Hope for the best.

Posted by
94 posts

Let's all pray for a rainy summer. We lucked out on our Danube trip last October. Going back in September 2023 with friends. Would rather not do the trip by bus!

Posted by
4171 posts

I've considered doing a river cruise for several years. One problem's been that most go places I've already been. Another's been the lack of single supplement or other solo traveler pricing.

But the biggest issue has always been the uncertainty of being able to be on the boat for the whole trip. Whether there's too much water or too little water, it's off the boat and on the bus.

Posted by
11350 posts

And different boats can handle lower water levels so some river cruise companies can sale when others, like Viking, can’t.

Posted by
973 posts

We were affected by low water for one day on our Rhine cruise from Basel to Amsterdam in 2015. It only affected us in Cologne where we could dock as expected and all get off the boat for the day tours, but for reboarding they had to bus us to Düsseldorf. We were told it was because not all the docks were usable due to the low water level and so our Uniworld boat couldn't just hang around as other boats needed to use the dock.

We did have a couple on our boat who had done a separate 8 day Budapest to Passau cruise on the Danube and had spent most of the time on a bus and in hotels. They were NOT pleased.

Posted by
6719 posts

With the lack of snow in many places this past winter, I’d be concerned with water levels, especially in the autumn.

Posted by
2976 posts

I took an aquatic engineering class and got a C+, so let me weigh in.

Unload the boat before traversing the shallow areas to make it more buoyant. Then, design the hull so air can be pumped into it. Embark the passengers and bus them up river. Problem solved.

I'd read the contract carefully. For me it's a no go unless I'm reimbursed for staying in hotels and riding buses. You never know and I'm not a riverboat gambler.