Please sign in to post.

Portugal OR Amsterdam/Belgium in May 2019?

Hi everyone! Here is another one of those questions requesting opinions that may or may not be helpful, but I am just having the hardest time deciding! I’m thinking either weather or flight prices will end up being the deal breaker, but I so value all of your thoughts as you have helped me so much in the past!

I am planning my 2019 trip, late May perhaps into early June, and can’t decide between Portugal (Lisbon and Porto with a day trip from each) or Amsterdam and Bruges/Brussels. For your reference, I will be solo and will have 8-9 days on the ground (exclusive of travel days). I have traveled in Greece, Italy, France, Spain, Great Britain, and Ireland. I love Paris, Rome, Florence and Madrid and enjoyed all of the rest as well. I like museums, history (ancient through renaissance), beautiful architecture, food, wine, food tours, cooking classes, café sitting and sightseeing. On the other hand, I can sit in a nice park and read for hours as well. I also quite enjoy a day trip to a smaller town (Segovia and Orvieto were favorites but I didn’t love Fontainebleau).

Any thoughts on my two destinations? I am sure I will hit both in the next few years, but I travel sometimes with my parents who are starting to have trouble getting around so those years will likely be cruises or guided tours. Thank you in advance and I hope everyone has a wonderful day!

Posted by
162 posts

Based off the other cities you've enjoyed, I would go with Portugal.

Lisbon is one of the more underrated cities in Europe. It's gritty, alive and full of old world charm, similar to Rome and Florence.

Late May-early June is a perfect time for this part of the world. Not too crowded, not too hot. You can enjoy the coastal towns just before they get swamped for the summer, but also explore the cities without suffering from the heat.

I also bet that Lisbon and Porto would be considerably less crowded than Amsterdam.

Posted by
6 posts

Thank you for your input Nathan! I am leaning in that direction for sure. Fewer crowds and good coastal weather are definitely selling points.

Posted by
610 posts

I would personally do Portugal and save Amsterdam for a time you can go in April for the tulips, if you haven't been. I thought Keukenhof in April was one of the most spectacular travel experiences I have had so far. Heading to Portugal next month, and I've heard nothing but great things. Happy planning!

Posted by
6732 posts

Agree with other posters above. Lisbon is under-appreciated (good! it's not swamped with such big crowds). I'd save the Low Countries for another trip when you can stay longer - FWIW, I don't think going to Europe for just 8-9 days is a great idea (unless you can do that very, very often) as you get a smaller return for your airfare money, but that's a separate discussion.

Portugal is great. Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
7595 posts

They are both great places, but for May, I would do Portugal. Don't miss Porto and consider a cruise on the scenic Douro River.

Posted by
6 posts

Thank you all for the help! My flight has been booked. May 14-25, so 10 days on the ground. I would LOVE to be able to take a longer trip, but neither my job nor my dogs would be too happy with me if I did! I will fly in and out of Lisbon, take the train straight to Porto for 5 days (with a day trip or 2) and then 5 days in Lisbon. I am very excited! Thank you again!