Please sign in to post.

Planning Europe Itinerary!

Hi, I'm looking to plan a 9-day summer trip (includes two full days of travel) to Europe with my boyfriend. So far, we have narrowed it down to England, Scotland, Ireland, Italy, and Greece but I could use some advice on how to narrow it down further and allocate my days. I have been to London, Venice, Florence, and Rome and loved them all (my boyfriend has been to none) and am looking to do some combination of places I have been to before and new places I can get to without renting a car. Places with history, that are culturally different, that have good food, and are romantic would be appreciated!

Thanks for your help!

Posted by
7067 posts

So, you only have 7 full days then. That means 2 places, 3 at the most (1 of those being a day trip from one of the other places). First of all leave Greece out of it unless you want to spend the whole week there, it takes too much time to get there from somewhere else like Great Britain or even Italy. Second, if you've already been to VFR, then I would only plan Italy if your boyfriend really wants to go there and then pick two of them. Third, with just a week I would stick to either London OR Ireland OR Scotland, OR maybe London and Amsterdam as a combo. Personally I would probably stick to 3 days London, 3 days Edinburgh, and 1 day in York between the two.

It would be pretty hard to pick 2 places in just 7 days that are culturally different. England, Ireland, Scotland are all individually different and each is wonderful but they are not really culturally that different. Great Britain and Italy or Great Britain and Greece would fit the bill for different cultures and great food. You could do a combo of somewhere in GB, then somewhere in either Italy or Greece if you flew between them and had an 'open-jaw' or 'multi-city' flight to Europe into one and home from the other. Where are you flying to Europe from? What is your budget? Some places are definitely more expensive than others, especially in the summer peak tourist time.

EDIT you might want to delete your other duplicate post to avoid confusion, preferably before there are any responses.

Posted by
503 posts

With 7 full days on the ground - why not do London/Paris? Culturally different, both with fabulous food, definitely romantic factor and easy transportation within each city and between the two. Best part is that the Eurostar takes you city center to city center so travel time is minimized.

Posted by
6369 posts

Oooh - I like Nancy's idea. London and Paris! Perfect!

Posted by
16059 posts

A vote for London and Paris as well.

You could easily spend all 7 days in one or the other (we have) without running out of things to do but if more than one location is the goal, then at least they're different enough and transport between them is easy. It's tough to pick a more romantic city than Paris.

Posted by
501 posts

First Trip to Europe? 9 days is not a lot - even if it is a lot of time to take off work for some folks (I'm a teacher, don't have that problem)

London / Paris is a great idea. Have you been to Paris? Also consider Rome - Florence. With 7 sightseeing days + some jetlag, I'd try to stick with just two cities.

Posted by
4 posts

Thank you so much for all of the suggestions! I really appreciate them! I have been to Paris before (my boyfriend has not) but it is definitely a wonderful city and helpful to know it is so easy to get between the two. I like the London/Edinburgh suggestion as well.

Posted by
11294 posts

Do you have 9 days on the ground or 7 days on the ground?

Have you looked at some flight prices and routes (you didn't say your home airport)? You should never go somewhere just because it's cheap, but money is a great tie-breaker. Similarly, on such a short trip, you don't want to spend too much of it in transit (which means Greece is probably out, on that score alone).

You definitely want to narrow it down to one or two places; rushing around, you won't be able to appreciate history, culture, food or romance (and I agree these are good goals for a trip). So London and Paris or London and Edinburgh or a bit of Ireland or Florence and Rome could all work. You could connect further flung places with a flight (say, Rome and Paris), but that would use much of a day.