Please sign in to post.

Planning ahead-February 2012

I'm looking ahead to a potential trip somewhere in Europe in February of 2012. (I realize it's not the ideal time to plan a trip weather-wise, but I teach English in Eastern Europe and that's when we have our two-week winter holiday.) Where do people recommend as a pleasant place to travel this time of year? I'll have done the major Eastern European stops (Prague, Vienna, Krakow, Budapest), as well as Italy, Norway, Paris, London, and Copenhagen. I've sort of thought about Greece and/or Turkey-has anyone been there at this time of year? Or are there other places people recommend where the weather isn't too terrible? I'm originally from the Midwest so I can handle cold pretty well :-) Thanks!

Posted by
233 posts

I'm a fellow Midwesterner who has now taken two mid-winter breaks in Spain in late February :) In Michigan, it's been 20s and 30s with snow; in Spain (Madrid and south), it's been 40s-60s and clear. No coats! No boots! Short sleeves! So I would recommend Spain.

Posted by
3696 posts

Another Michigan poster here who has taken many winter trips. One of the most magical was when I went to Venice during Carnivale a few years ago. I don't know the date for 2012, but it was an incredible week. Not terribly cold, some sunny days. We took a boat trip to Burano and then took a train somewhere north to a town in Tirol. I have also traveled to England twice in the winter and I guess because it was warmer than I thought it would be it was great. I did travel to Italy & Croatia in winter and I thought it would be warmer, so I was disappointed. Check out temps for southern Spain, and then maybe from there you could head to Morocco. I was in Germany a few years ago in April and it was beautiful and a friend was in Turkey that same week and it was freezing....
I am coming to Krakow in a couple months... any 'must sees?'

Posted by
693 posts

Spain sounds really good and there are always the Spanish Canary Islands. By February you may be ready for some beach time. The Canaries will be full of English and German tourists but there used to be some really good deals to be had going there from those countries and maybe from Poland, too.