Please sign in to post.

Plan B to Avoid France now?

I have a trip planned in early December for myself and my 25 year old daughter. We are starting in Amsterdam for 3 days and then were supposed to do 4 nights in Paris.

Hopefully the protests are resolved peacefully in coming weeks, but if they're not, I'd love a recommendation for a Plan B to avoid France (which would mean also changing our outbound flight from CDG to an alternative).

Consider that we only have 4 nights. And we've been to UK many times, so thinking staying on the continent.

Thank you for any advice!

Posted by
41 posts

We arrived in Paris midday on Saturday the 17th, staying in the 6th. All we saw were peaceful marches that day, and our walks in the 9th and 6th as planned on Sunday the 18th were just a normal experience in Paris. Obviously if we were staying near Republic we certainly would have been heavily impacted.

We’re staying in France until mid December, no adjustments to our itinerary yet.

Plan B? Christmas markets of Germany & Central Europe, probably expensive given how close it is to December.

Posted by
27793 posts

Only 4 nights? First, if you have been to Paris before this could be your opportunity to go place on the fringe and see and fo new things. If not, and you have 4 days check your hotel location against the riot maps overwhelming odds you are clear and can visit much of the city without crossing paths.

If you are nervous and want a Plan B decide soon so you can rebook. If you had a week I would say keep your flights, do a day in Paris coming and going and hop a train in between. But 4 days doesnt work for that.

If at the last minute you decide to change plans there are a lot of options still at peace and with flights to Amsterdam. We have a good group here. Emily could help you with a last minute trip to Vienna, you know I would help if you came this way and we have others in Germany that come to mind.

Sorry not much help beyond saying I am optimistic you can make Paris work.

Posted by
27793 posts

I just saw Dave's post. You can still get a 4 star hotel here, in the right location for under $250 a night. I checked 7 to 13 December as a guess. With a little creativity maybe less. If you csn do that here you will have similar options elsewhere. KLM nonstop here is $200 round trip to AMS. I suspect with creativity you can find several affordable ideas.

But December is a long way off and things could be perfect in Paris by then.

Posted by
6 posts

Yeah, it's good to have back-up options as I don't think those issues could be solved quickly.

Cologne or Düsseldorf are good for a plan B. It’s a super easy train ride from Amsterdam, and the massive Christmas markets will be in full swing. Or, hop a quick train to Brussels for waffles and beer.

Posted by
2343 posts

Given your flight out of CDG, the easiest plan B would be to go to Belgium. Cities like Brussels, Antwerp, Ghent and Bruges are well worth a visit. All these cities can be easily reached from the Netherlands by train. Pick one city as a base and make day trips to the others.
There are direct trains from Brussels to CDG airport, so you don’t have to change your flight home.

Posted by
27793 posts

Brussels already has some protest issues. There is nothing in Germany that I have heard of, but if it did spread into Germany my guess (pretty uneducated guess) would be Cologne and Berlin would be the start. But I am still of the mind that this all gets ropped in over then next week or two. Of course maybe I am optimistic.

Posted by
13438 posts

I would second (or third) the rec for the Christmas markets in Germany, but keep in mind that December is a ways off and chances are good the protests will be over by then. I am planning a trip to Germany and France from Nov. 28 through Dec. 15 and have no plans to cancel the France portion of it at this time.

As someone above mentioned, though, waiting to book other countries till the last minute could wind up being very pricy, but not impossible. Good luck with your decision!

Posted by
16299 posts

Avoid France now as part of Plan B? I would not cancel as Plan B. For me there is no Plan B on a trip.

I would go now if I could . The Schengen limit of 90 days precludes my returning now...a pity.